BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 M Coupe is at the dealer's shop now, but I do not have a report back on what the problem is, so here's an opportunity to diagnose based on limited information.

2007 M Coupe, ~5,000 miles, not yet tracked.

I drove the car yesterday afternoon without incident. Later, about 9:00 PM in the evening I had an errand to run, and when backing the car out of the garage and then driving forward it sounded like I had a piece of sheet metal caught under the car. It rubbed and growled like crazy. I check the undercarriage and found nothing. I tried driving and I was able to isolate the sound to the right rear wheel. The noise was definitely related to wheel rotation as it cycled with the speed the wheel was turning. Engine speed, gearing and clutch have nothing to do with it, as I tried various combinations including coasting for a few feet in neutral with the clutch depressed.

I drove two block to see if there might be a stone or the like jammed in the brakes, but I didn't find that to be the case. The grinding did, however, disappear in reverse, but this morning the terrible grinding sound was back in forward and reverse.

I should know the diagnosis tomorrow. The funny thing is that I had an appointment today for a complimentary detailing from the dealer's "BMW Spa", if you can believe that name. They supplied me with a 335i loaner with under 2,000 miles. It's a very nice coupe, but with it being an auto and twin turbo there is definite throttle lag... probably mainly due to the tranny. I was a bit surprised at the very low RPM shift points at moderate throttle. Putting it into manual shift mode made the driving more fun, but I sure want my M Coupe back.

I'll report what the shop finds as soon as I know.

Any takers on the diagnosis?

EB

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Broken brake pad retaining spring? :D

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Sounds like a stone between the rotor and the backing plate. It's happened to me a couple of times since I live on a dirt road. Sometimes they don't just fall out. Can't happen on my car at the moment since I cut the backing plates to fit the Wilwoods and haven't been to Randy's to make replacements.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's what is wrong with the car as e-mail from service this AM

ok....
here's the story...
the spring that holds the parking brake shoes on taught on the right rear parking brake assembly has popped off.
we have to order a new spring to repair this.
part will not be here till tuesday at the earliest.
I cannot drive the vehicle to detail (our warehouse is where we detail the cars...a couple miles from here).
I will have to wait till I have car fixed before I take it there.
will be middle of next week until completed.
e/mail if needed.
tony

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sounds like a stone between the rotor and the backing plate. It's happened to me a couple of times since I live on a dirt road. Sometimes they don't just fall out. Can't happen on my car at the moment since I cut the backing plates to fit the Wilwoods and haven't been to Randy's to make replacements.
That happened to me once, I had to make some hard quick stops to dislodge it since it wouldn't fall out on it's own. I was worried for a few minutes until I got it to fall out. Sorry to hear that wasn't your problem, but if anyone else has similar symptoms, they might try some hard stops from both reverse and forwards to dislodge a possible stone.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Huh? So they are just keeping your car while they wait on a spring? Are they at least letting you keep the loaner in the mean time?
Yep, they are keeping the car until the spring is in, installed, and the car is detailed (which they owed me for screwing something up in the past). I keep the 335i no charge loaner until I get the M Coupe back.

EB

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here's what is wrong with the car as e-mail from service this AM

ok....
here's the story...
the spring that holds the parking brake shoes on taught on the right rear parking brake assembly has popped off.
we have to order a new spring to repair this.
I just got my car back from having a similar problem. It sounded like I was dragging a soda can when I was driving at low speeds, forward and backwards. It turns out BMW has a new kit to fix this problem.

·
The Anti-Rice
5,394 Posts
For 7 bucks they overnight the parts in for me when I am impatient.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would NEVER let a dealer detail my Z4M. You know they're going to rush it and possibly scratch the finish in the process. Scary.

Tony

·
Registered
276 Posts
It is amazing how many loose "items" this car has... rear sway mount, motor mount, caliper this, canister that. Is this a BMW thing, or just Z thing?

·
tire consumer
555 Posts
If you noted the mileage before you dropped it off, note it when you pick it up. Leaving a Z4MC at a dealer's for that long - especially with minor issues - sounds like trouble.

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
I sold "your" rear wheel bearings, circlips and axle nuts.

We'll need to reorder them if/when you decide to do this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts