BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone w/ 02/03 E39, CD changer or iceLink connect w/ coax or 6-pins cable?

So although i have a DSP option on my 2003 E39 appears i have the "analog" DSP kind rather than the "digital" DSP. That is, the coax connector on my DSP amplifier is non-functional and must use the 6-pins connector on my BMW CD changer. So if i connect up my CD changer using the coax then no sound. But instead if i use the 6-pins to the CD changer then i have sound.

Same goes with the ice>Link: Plus where i thought i needed the DSP Kit but looks like i don't since the coax connector on my DSP amp is non-functional.

I'm wondering if the recoding is necessary to get the coax connector on the amplifier functional.

Or is it that if your car came with the 6-pins connector for the CD changer then that tells you the coax connector on amp is non-functional.

I was told that all E39's came with coax connector on amp so having one doesn't mean you have DSP nor "digital" DSP.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
954 Posts
As of 2001/2002, BMW did away with the digital coaxial connection for the CD changer, even if you have DSP.

Early cars with DSP came with both the analog and digital cables, and you could use either. In the middle of the production run, it's possible DSP cars only got the coax cable, but I'm not sure on that. It's all mixed in my head since I never took notes.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tyrone said:
As of 2001/2002, BMW did away with the digital coaxial connection for the CD changer, even if you have DSP.

Early cars with DSP came with both the analog and digital cables, and you could use either. In the middle of the production run, it's possible DSP cars only got the coax cable, but I'm not sure on that. It's all mixed in my head since I never took notes.
Thanks Dr! :thumbup:

BTW, our next project parts are very sloooooooooooow in rolling in. :bawling:

Soon though, soon so pack your bags again buddy! Urgh, i meant, Dr... :bigpimp:

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 03 E39 with DSP has the coax connector.

I just installed the DICE kit and needed the DSP kit which includes an Analog to Digital
converter (Radio Shack part).

The kit is working through the coax connector to the amp. If you can get it to work without the DSP kit thats great. Save a few bucks.

I'm not sure if I had the 6 pin connector or not.

·
european auto source
5,879 Posts
Tyrone said:

We've seen a few MY2003 5-series models with the coaxial cable - there is really no black-and-white way of telling without a physical inspection. I've even had a MY2005 X5 with Digital DSP for an install.

We have a short article at this link for others wanting to see what setup they have preinstalled: http://www.europeanautosource.com/support-center/index.php?x=&mod_id=2&id=11

At this time, X3s and Z4 still use the Digital DSP setups - but it seems like the Z4M models have drifted to analog.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Deadzone said:
My 03 E39 with DSP has the coax connector.

I just installed the DICE kit and needed the DSP kit which includes an Analog to Digital
converter (Radio Shack part).

The kit is working through the coax connector to the amp. If you can get it to work without the DSP kit thats great. Save a few bucks.

I'm not sure if I had the 6 pin connector or not.
Thanks for that info!

Just curious, do you have Navigation also?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tom @ eas said:
We've seen a few MY2003 5-series models with the coaxial cable - there is really no black-and-white way of telling without a physical inspection. I've even had a MY2005 X5 with Digital DSP for an install.

We have a short article at this link for others wanting to see what setup they have preinstalled: http://www.europeanautosource.com/support-center/index.php?x=&mod_id=2&id=11

At this time, X3s and Z4 still use the Digital DSP setups - but it seems like the Z4M models have drifted to analog.
Thanks Tom! :thumbup:

Oh right, and thanks Ty, for looking up this stuff also on BMW bulletin! :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts