BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Anti-Rice
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, I finally scheduled a time to get the rear installed, and I was wondering if I should pick up some extra pads or something for the rear springs.

The GC instructions say you should just toss them.

So is anyone here running the track/school setup that would recommend the extra pads?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm not sure what the point would be, unless you wanted to have a bit more mechanical noise isolation.

I'll have to look, but I think I'm running the standard pads on the upper-end of the coils in my car... the ones with the bump-stop cones.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the GC setup without any extra pads. One thing I don't like is that with a 5" spring, you have to direct the spring onto the lower perch manually each time the car is lowered after being on a lift or jack stands. I tried rigging something to hold the spring in a good position, but it's not great.
Daver- I printed out your rear ground control instructions in Sept. '03. It shows that you left in the upper pad with the bump stop. I happened to be speaking to Ground Control recently and asked them about this, and they said you don't need it, but I'm wondering whether it might help with guiding the spring and possibly noise isolation. They had no suggestions for how to guide the spring.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm still using the stock upper pads... no problems, and I've never had any alignment issues. I occasionally get a *thunk* as a coil reseats itself on the perch... but rarely... typically when entering/exiting a driveway. I never thought not to use them... seemed like the 2.5" coil had way too much play around the locating post without them.

On one of my visits to G/C, I noticed they had some heavy plastic cones with an o-ring inside. The idea was that these would be slipped over the upper spring locating post and help keep the coils centered. They gave me a couple to try, but it appeared that the inside diameter of the cone was too small for the post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.