1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lots of discussions on the other site...here is one thread (CarPlay Retrofit). I have not seen any info on the solution you reference, but there are a few references to other solutions. I, for example, have been using the UniChip solution for nearly a year and I am still pleased.

Steven

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just installed a generic Andream unit in both our X5 and 650i. Super easy install, wired and wireless CarPlay and Android Auto. Same unit as Bimmertech MMI Prime but at a fraction of the cost. There's also an official firmware now to enable widescreen Android Auto.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just installed a generic Andream unit in both our X5 and 650i. Super easy install, wired and wireless CarPlay and Android Auto. Same unit as Bimmertech MMI Prime but at a fraction of the cost. There's also an official firmware now to enable widescreen Android Auto.

Nice! Looks like the unit I purchased, but haven't installed yet. I like your solution for stowing the control unit. What did you have to remove in order to get it into the glove box? Also, I've seen where some installations require running a cable to the aux input in the center console in order to get sound. Not a great solution, in my mind. Did you have this issue?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I pulled out the glovebox which is really just a few screws. I used a dremel to create the holes in the back of the cubby where the DVD changer would go. Cable routing was super easy.

This unit does not require routing a cable to the aux input, nor does it require an external mic. The factory mic is used and the the audio is routed directly to the head unit, though still through the aux input.

Because I like a clean install I used a USB extension cable routed through the centre console to the armrest storage. Works a treat :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled out the glovebox which is really just a few screws. I used a dremel to create the holes in the back of the cubby where the DVD changer would go. Cable routing was super easy.

This unit does not require routing a cable to the aux input, nor does it require an external mic. The factory mic is used and the the audio is routed directly to the head unit, though still through the aux input.

Because I like a clean install I used a USB extension cable routed through the centre console to the armrest storage. Works a treat :)
Thanks for the quick reply. Did your car not already have a USB plug in the console?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes it does but it uses a standard 4 pin fakra connection to the iDrive headunit. The Andream box uses a regular usb type-a connector. I tried wiring up a fakra connector to a usb-a male end to try and bridge the two to use the USB in the armrest, but that didn't work.

The Android box does not use any of the car USB ports. You have to use the USB port in the wiring harness for the box to connect a phone to it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Started the install today and have run into a problem. In my left-hand drive car, the OEM cable that runs to the LCD monitor has a small bundle of wires that split off of the harness and goes in an upward direction toward the firewall. It prevents enabling enough slack in the main monitor cable to run down to the carplay unit. Did you run into this problem with your right-hand drive car? How did you overcome it?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hmmm, can you post some photos? My car is a special case since it was originally equipped with iDrive CIC which I replaced with NBT, so my wiring situation is likely a bit different compared to yours.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll get some shots tomorrow. Figure this is a good pause point. Appreciate your interest in helping me.

Time for a beer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guess I needed to sleep on it!

Everything works. Now to put it all back together. Thanks for the moral support, hugo_za!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Display arrived, tested it and I have started reinstalling everything. The display is giving me a little trouble though. Won't snap onto the housing. I don't want to break anything. Can you offer any tips?

So close...

·
Registered
279 Posts
That was quick! Sorry I forgot about the backing plate. A new backplate is required and there's a small modification that you have to make to the plastic on the inside of the backplate. The new backplate you need is linked in the forum post as well as the bits I removed to make it fit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On closer examination, the new display's mounting configuration is a lot different than the OEM. It's not going to go into the housing. Completely different configuration. I wonder if I can get the housing that is made for this thing. Hate to have to put the old display back in. :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts