BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Apple CarPlay will be available on many 2017 BMWs

BMW is finally offering Apple CarPlay as an option for select 2017 models. CarPlay connect your Apple iPhone to the iDrive screen for select apps. CarPlay broadens the portfolio of BMW ConnectedDrive offerings. Apple CarPlay will soon be available ex-factory via option 6CP for many MY 2017 vehicles equipped with Navigation Professional (609). 6CP will be a slightly delayed introduction and available starting with August 2016 production vehicles.

More specific information about CarPlay, including a Get Started guide, will be available soon. At this time, please be careful when ordering, if you would like to have CarPlay Compatibility. Also keep in mind that CarPlay does not allow for Google Maps or Waze navigation. Apple Maps is the only navigation app supported. The app selections while driving are limited, keep your expectations realistic about how well this works. Until I get a chance to test it I have to assume it will be buggy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQz64rhefqY

What is Apple CarPlay?
CarPlay is the smarter, safer way to use your iPhone in your car. It lets you access Apple Music, Maps, make phone calls, and send messages all through your BMW's iDrive interface or with your voice through Siri.

What is required for a vehicle to be compatible with CarPlay?
Vehicles must be equipped/ordered with Navigation Professional (609) and Apple CarPlay Compatibility (6CP). Additionally, the vehicle must have an active BMW ConnectedDrive agreement completed upon vehicle delivery.

What vehicles will be available with 6CP?
As of August 2016, vehicles equipped with the latest iDrive 5.0 will be able to be ordered with 6CP. Please refer to the 2017 ordering guides to confirm availability. 2017 BMW that are CarPaly compatible are expected to include:

• 2 Series - F2x
  • 3 Series and 4 Series - F3x
  • 6 Series - F06/F12/F13
  • 7 Series - G12
  • X5 and X6 - F15 and F16

·
Registered
63 Posts
Let's say I order a MY 2017 F30, July 2016 build. Do I have the option to retrofit/add this option later via a software download if I decide to pay for it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The only reason I'd want Carplay is to get Maps because I don't have Navigation. With Navigation Professional as a requirement I just don't see the point with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts