BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a 2017 X5M. One of the options is Apple Carplay. The salesman does not know much about this because it is a new option. Does anyone know how this works? I have read alot about Apple Carplay in other cars and seen some videos. I want to make sure that the typical BMW navigation, phone book, etc will still be available and not replaced by the iphone apps. Supposedly the carplay apps are only available when the phone is plugged in but I read another article that stated that BMW's carplay will be wireless. If the phone is connected to the car through bluetooth, will the phone apps replace the BMW functionality? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
628 Posts
all existing car app features remain intact... if you choose navigation from your bmw controller, you have bmw nav, car play even though wireless still needs to be chosen first from bmw menu. once chosen you have access to multiple apple features some of which do crossover to similar bmw apps, fyi, you can still access your phones music both wired or bluetooth through the media button in the car, however you can access that same music by choosing carpal from the bmw menu, you screen will then show the bmw carpal options including music OR nav .........and you can access multiple apple car play options/apps from that ONE screen.

i have driven in a few cars with carplay and as a major apple ecosystem user both at home at while mobile, i was excited to have it finally coming to bmw...HOWEVER, i have been accessing iPhone features from my phone or via voice for so long i often found myself doing things from my phone before realizing i could use carplay, just out of habit, and faster recognition of how to do things from repetitiveness.... it will likely take me sometime to transfer my thought to use the car instead of the phone once i have a bmw with carplay. in similar fashion it took me so long to use steering wheel mounted audio controls because i was so used to using the radio controls....

The interesting thing about carplay is it currently seems to only be offered along with the new 10" display, i wonder if BMW will give us the paid for option to upgrade the software in our cars to download and access carplay, or if the design and interface will need the wider screen.

i haven't been spending as much time on here but I'm curious if rich/octopump has any news or if he will find a way to code it into our cars ...LOL.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Had CarPlay in a rental car last week. Pretty underwhelming. I ended up just using my phone without it. A few annoyances:

-the phone and messages apps basically just summon Siri. You can't even see a list of recent calls as you can with the BMW interface. If you want to use Siri you can just hold down the voice recognition button on the steering wheel instead (even without CarPlay)

-Pandora integration is way worse than the regular BMW apps integration. Doesn't even let you see all your channels or create a new one. Thumbs up/down is clunkier to access as well.

-Apple maps navigation (only choice when using carplay) is worse than the built in BMW nav and way worse than google maps. You can't even get a detailed route list (unless you access it on the phone directky).

The only advantage I found was that when listening to podcasts you can access the forward/back 15 seconds buttons. When using the idrive interface you don't get that.

Overall I definitely would not pay extra to have CarPlay integration and even if the car came with it id never use it.

Basically, it seems like Apple was so worried about creating additional driver distractions that they dumbed it down to the point that's it's actually more distracting (since you end up picking up your phone in frustration)

It would be an nice to have feature on a basic economy car that otherwise wouldn't have built in nav, etc. But compared to idrive it sucks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts