BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Armed Pilot!
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read in other threads that sometimes service at the stealership is improved by tipping your service rep. Does anyone have any input on an appropriate tip for an oil change (between warranty services, my expense) and a sunroof seal replacement under warranty?

The caveat is that the oil change & seal replacement took 4 DAYS. My service rep did get me a loaner car though, which was kind.

I'm a little underwhelmed by their performance, but my service guy was pretty up front with me....is $40 or so in cash a suitable gift, hoping for slightly better service next time?

Cheers,

/TCP

·
Registered
533 Posts
I left donuts in the car once and put my name on the box with "Gray 745i"

·
Armed Pilot!
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interestingly, he turned down the tip. After I returned to the dealership, 30 min. after picking up my car, due to an "oil level too high" warning.

Maybe if I let the engine hydraulic lock instead of bringing it back, they might have comped me a new F01. :D Hmmmmm maybe next time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I brought my sa a $25 gift card for dunkin donuts. he does a great job and even got me a 750i '09 loaner. he said that's standard but the last dealership i went to put me in a 3 or a 5 (sometimes Enterprise) :tsk:
:thumbup:

·
Registered
364 Posts
$20 every time- I get my choice of available loaners -

·
Go Mountaineers!
627 Posts
I do a $20 gift card or cash to the SA and the Tech and a thank you note.

·
Armed Pilot!
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'll give them a gift card for coffee/donuts the next time I'm in there. My SA felt pretty bad about how long the repair took, and the ensuing return visit. I'm hoping I get better service next time.

/TCP

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow. This thread was a real eye-opener. It honestly never occurred to me to tip a SA. I've written letters telling the dealer and manufacturer about great service, I've given excellent feedback on the online surveys, etc. but it honestly never occurred to me to give a cash tip. Thank you for starting this thread. I'm happy to tip if I get good service, but I never knew SAs might even be expecting a tip. And if it helps me get great service, I'm happy to drop $20.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Interestingly, he turned down the tip.
he probably felt guilty for some reason or didn't fix something that was suppose to be fixed to take the tip. so he could look in your eyes if you know what i mean, if the job was done with perfection he shouldnt of hesitate

·
Registered
209 Posts

Depends on what they do for you.
With my CLK55 and my other few Benzes i had,my SA was freakin awesome.
I would drop of the car every few months and would have everything new and updated that was available.Also he always took care of me with the loaner.
In my line of work it was easy to know what he was expecting from me,he just wanted t be taken care of when he hits the clubs/concerts,or when he goes to Vegas.
I remember this one time i was ut of warranty and he just went by the last RO and the miles that were noted down.
So once again,it all depends on what they do for you.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
i don't tip SA's shiaaaat!!! screw em'. if i get service i feel is worthy, i will make sure i find the tech who worked on my car and slip him a little something. this is rarely the case with BMW's since everytime they work on your freakin' car, they end up screwing something else up in the process. the most recent annoying visit involved having "brand new" brakes/rotors installed only to have to bring the car back a month later cause they were warped.:thumbdwn:

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Kind of a agree with Diz and I tip everybody, and I mean more than I need to. I think my SA is the balls, but I honestly think he would be offended if I tried to drop him a $20 every time in. At my dealer, these guys are ultra professional and I think they consider themselves professionals just like the customers. I think he would take it like I am trying to tip the drive-thru coffee shop folks. I would tip the mechanic if I ever saw them, but you never see them at my dealer. All dealers are not created equal, I would say mine is on the snobby side and I am sure there is a policy on not accepting tips. I do take care of him in the form of all 5's and an occasional email to the bosses on his excellent performance. I'll get him a bottle around the holidays, I think that is appropriate. Judging by the tenure and retention (same SA's have been there forever), I think they make a decent living.

·
the cleanest1
2,632 Posts
I think it will never hurt anyone to leave a little tip. Even if the tech screwed something up its not or SA's fault. Maybe next time he'll try a little harder to make a bigger tip and make sure the work gets done right. lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts