BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.lemonaudi.com/photos.asp

this is kinda wierd cuz I live like 10miles from this dealer. i knew all of our car(bmw, benz, and audis) have issues to a certain degree, but I have never known anyone who was like really happy with their Audi. If this is true, i dont' think I will ever buy an Audi. Anyone have any comments??? I am curious to hear another side of this..

LIL Raja

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
My family has had only one Audi.
A6 4.2 Quattro.
While this car had its moments...it is also the last Audi our family will ever own. Period :)

Squeaks and rattles, sucky dealerships, warped brake rotors every two months.

On top of that - nose heavy and not fun to drive. Design is lacking both inside and out.

It is all my opinion, obviously, but I'm sticking with it.

(On a side note - I've found audiworld.org to be very strange. Their "we're not BMW, we're better; BMW drivers suck" attitude didn't go well with me :eek: )

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
LIL RAJA-

Statistically, they do much worse than BMW in reliability and quality studies-- but in terms of things you see and touch they're built better. Its strange to me that VW spent so much time and money on the look and feel aspects of quality and hasn't really done anything to improve the very average to low average reliability of their cars. Of course, there are some on this board and bimmer.org who had much better experiences w/ Audis than w/ the BMWs they now own. There are similar lemon sites about BMW-- and people have done similar protests at BMW dealers-- invluding 1 guy drviing around a 5 series w/ lemons plastered on it w/ a dealers name.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
robg said:
LIL RAJA-

Statistically, they do much worse than BMW in reliability and quality studies-- but in terms of things you see and touch they're built better. Its strange to me that VW spent so much time and money on the look and feel aspects of quality and hasn't really done anything to improve the very average to low average reliability of their cars. Of course, there are some on this board and bimmer.org who had much better experiences w/ Audis than w/ the BMWs they now own. There are similar lemon sites about BMW-- and people have done similar protests at BMW dealers-- invluding 1 guy drviing around a 5 series w/ lemons plastered on it w/ a dealers name.
My main reason for asking was i have never owned an Audi. Also as we all know their rep was tarnished in the 80s, which is being slowly being built up... I have owned a lot of bmws and knoch on wood they have been okay so far except fo the 325 I had in college (87) knock no wood was POS. It needed service or something every other month, i was fed up with it, so i sold it.
But i do see what u r saying...

LIL Raja

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rost12 said:
My family has had only one Audi.
A6 4.2 Quattro.
While this car had its moments...it is also the last Audi our family will ever own. Period :)

Squeaks and rattles, sucky dealerships, warped brake rotors every two months.

On top of that - nose heavy and not fun to drive. Design is lacking both inside and out.

It is all my opinion, obviously, but I'm sticking with it.

(On a side note - I've found audiworld.org to be very strange. Their "we're not BMW, we're better; BMW drivers suck" attitude didn't go well with me :eek: )
these Audi people seem too emotional, not rational. I got the same feeling on that board, the conversations were not so fluid and people were not so friendly on the audiworld.org whatever...

This board is quiet nice along with s2ki.com and acuraworld.com
not to forget e46fanatics.com (but they post on like every little silly mods, like i got my eyelids, etc...)

LIL Raja

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
LIL RAJA said:

these Audi people seem too emotional, not rational. I got the same feeling on that board, the conversations were not so fluid and people were not so friendly on the audiworld.org whatever...

not to forget e46fanatics.com (but they post on like every little silly mods, like i got my eyelids, etc...)

LIL Raja
Hmm, you must not read a lot of the threads on this board. We have more than our share of 'emotional, not rational' people that, frankly, piss me off.

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
LIL RAJA said:

LIL Raja
LOL! Ever been to the .org?? :lmao:

·
superwagon pilot
'17 991.2C, '19 e450 wagon, 11 135iC, 09 x3
1,403 Posts
I have a '94 Audi Cabriolet as my daily driver (wife has the BMW), and it's a good car. It has 173k miles on it, and never given me any real problems. It has a few niggling issues (like the gas gauge doesn't work), but the drivetrain is rock solid. Having said that, I'd never buy another Audi again. The car is great, but every dealership in my area is horrendous. Getting maintenance done promptly even with an appointment made weeks in advance is impossible, they've fixed more things wrong than right, even when I go in and tell them the problem specificially (as in the cooling fan relay is sticking please replace it). I've tried the 3 dealers in the area and they are all bad. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my BMW dealership. :dunno:

LIL RAJA said:
http://www.lemonaudi.com/photos.asp

this is kinda wierd cuz I live like 10miles from this dealer. i knew all of our car(bmw, benz, and audis) have issues to a certain degree, but I have never known anyone who was like really happy with their Audi. If this is true, i dont' think I will ever buy an Audi. Anyone have any comments??? I am curious to hear another side of this..

LIL Raja

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Kaz said:

Hmm, you must not read a lot of the threads on this board. We have more than our share of 'emotional, not rational' people that, frankly, piss me off.
I hope I'm not on your list because I agree with your summation.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 98.5 A4 is my daily driver, and haven't had any issues with it. No annoying squeaks or rattles, or any problems mentioned above. I don't consider my car unusual in any respect, in fact the cars that encounter endless problems are the exception in my view.

Most cars have their fair share of problems, BMW, Audi and MB included. A coworker had his 2001 E320 (w210) lemoned after the electronics failed, and couldn't be repaired.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I'm not really happy with my Passat, which is made by VW/Audi and is built off the A4 chassis, does that count?

It squeaks and rattles ten times more than my lowered, older BMW, it drives like a boat in comparison (but is admittedly more fun than an Accord), it has a rattly 4-cylinder engine and the turbo blew at 56k miles.

:thumbdwn:

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
I have a 99 jetta I am impressed with. for the money I have to say its a decent car. But I almost bought an s4 before I drove the 330ci, all I know is I am glad I did not buy the audi. I hear so many lemon stories like what you posted. It is a pretty nasty track record.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Audis

Three of my buddies have Audis, one A4 1.8T, one S4 and one 5000 Turbo. The A4 ate a turbo at around 60k, and the dealer replaced it under warranty. The S4 seems to have been ok, it is just a little sedate as compared to an M3. And, the 5000 Turbo is running lots of chipped boost, and is still running at high miles.

An Audi is more practical than a BMW if one lives in snow country. But, they offer less performance. I had a VW Passat, and have to agree with the Dealers suck part.

Had a e46 328ci for 50k miles, and now a new M Coupe. Other than a thermostat recall on the e46, no problems of any kind.

Gregor
02 M Coupe

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
My father has the Audi Allroad and my brother has a 98 A4 2.8Q

My father LOVES his Audi, he literally states it is the best all around car he has had (though I must admit he says this about all of his cars ;) ) He traded in a E320 4 matic wagon for it and likes it much better then the Benz. Just so you know he is a major car nut and has 3 other cars (00 Jag Conv, 99 CLK320 & an Antique car) So I consider his opinion pretty valuable.

My Brother LOVES his A4 but I have to admit since his factory warranty ran out he has been having a few problems that aren't minor but they aren't too serious . . . I guess you could say there are in the middle of the road.

Anyway, as much as he loves his car he is now considering trading it in for guess what . . . An A4 3.0Q !!! He is going to check out the 3er also but his heart is set on the Audi.

So I wouldn't be doubting Audi just yet, the owners of their cars from what I see are just as loyal as we are except for one thing . . . some of them consider the 3er as their next car while us Bimmer guys wouldn't really consider the A4

I think this was the case with the 1st gen A4 was not quite on par with the 3er but I would not say it's the case with the new A4. I think that car it's right there with our E46 :thumbup:

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
My daily driver is a Audi A4, I now have over 60k miles. I like it a lot and it is very comparable to our 325iT eventhough it is over 4 years old!!!

Audiworld.com also kicks butt too.

Reliabilty wise, I have had problems with it that I assume we will have with our bimmer. Small netpick electronical problems, nothing big. I would of bought Japanese if I wanted a problem free car:D

Both brands have their pro/cons. If I had a choice I would prefer the audi exterior/interior with the bmw drivetrain and balance.

Jeff

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
CCs328Ci said:
I wish BMW could combine Honda reliability, interior quietness, and BMW style..wow oh well, I love to dream ;)
you gotta go test drive the RSX Type S . . . it's got the steering feel of the BMW with the Japanese quality . . .

Pretty incredible little car, too bad they gave it such a bland design . . . it's the one thing that kills me about Honda/Acura . . . they have the know how to make incredible driving cars but they put them in the blandest looking bodies !!

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Alan F said:

you gotta go test drive the RSX Type S . . . it's got the steering feel of the BMW with the Japanese quality . . .

Pretty incredible little car, too bad they gave it such a bland design . . . it's the one thing that kills me about Honda/Acura . . . they have the know how to make incredible driving cars but they put them in the blandest looking bodies !!
Alan and CC328-- I totally agree w/ you guys. I don't understand why its so hard for the Japanese manufacturers to just hire some good designers from the european companies and let them design. I actually think its not so much the people they have, but the process they employ-- their designs smack of commitee based design-- you can kind of see how multiple ideas were kind of stitchted together on most Japanse designs. I think the europena manufacturers tend to just take a single designers work and go with it-- which makes the end result more coherent. In fact, the best Japanese sedan exterior/interior that ever existed IMO was the original GS300- which was completely desinged by Guigaro. that car could be sold today and still look fresh. Then, for some totally stupid reason, they had to go and screw it up w/ the oddly proportioned current model-- and the funny thing is that you can kind of make out the orignal sheet metal- its just been kind of buried underneath strange detailling. How long is it going to take before these manufacturers realize this? Same thing w/ the interiors-- on all of hte recent "sports sedans" they try and make them too "special" like on the IS300 and G35. This actually has the effect of making them look like hangovers from the 80s. :banghead:

By the same token, its a mystery to me why the european manufacturers haven't fully figured out how to build cars using Japanese design and assembly techniques to create cars of consistent high quality. I even remember reading an interview w/ some top guy at BMW that was quoted as saying that the levels of quality achieved by Toyota in its Lexus models continued to amaze them. Figure it out guys!

Hopefully, one of these days the best of both worlds will meet.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts