BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinking about getting a 06' certified pre-owned 3 series can any one tell me if its worth it to get it? how good is the car after its considered "certified"

·
Registered
401 Posts
get an 07 335

:eeps:
Might not have the money for it? CPO financing is a lot better (at least on the APY) than for '07 335's.

I have no personal experience per se, but from all the posts and other things that I've read. BMW does a pretty good job of the whole CPO-car thing. Not every car qualifies to be CPO'd.

Financing wise, you can get an '06 330i, sports/premium/nav/xenon/<=30k miles/prem-sound for about 26k. Some on the board have gotten similar cars (with no nav) for around 23-25k.
I was approved from 0 down, 0.9% on a 330 that I just described; didn't work out for reasons not related to BMW nor the dealer.

"Buyers market," everyone says.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,886 Posts
i'm thinking about getting a 06' certified pre-owned 3 series can any one tell me if its worth it to get it? how good is the car after its considered "certified"
Might not have the money for it? CPO financing is a lot better (at least on the APY) than for '07 335's.

I have no personal experience per se, but from all the posts and other things that I've read. BMW does a pretty good job of the whole CPO-car thing. Not every car qualifies to be CPO'd.

Financing wise, you can get an '06 330i, sports/premium/nav/xenon/<=30k miles/prem-sound for about 26k. Some on the board have gotten similar cars (with no nav) for around 23-25k.
The '06 330i is a really, really fine car with a very fine engine.

BMW does have a pretty good CPO program and most dealers do a pretty good job. But, the quality of specific CPO cars is mostly determined by the quality of the dealership doing the certification. BMW has good standards, but some dealers do the very minimum and some do a first rate job.

Before buying a CPO car ask for a copy of the CPO Inspection checklist - http://resource.bmwusa.com/pdf_988f0bce-f3e2-44ac-a143-a81cd9e87fc2.arox , http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/CPO/Certification.aspx and the work order showing exactly what work the dealer did on the car to bring it to CPO standards.

You should read over the CPO warranty info. It is good, but it is not as comprehensive as the new car warranty. http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/CPO/Warranty/Default.aspx

·
Registered
15 Posts
tturedraider is right on. Also make sure you check the carfax record. I bought my 330xi CPO in December. It is in like-new condition and I got a great deal, but I looked at many cars at several dealers before I found the right one. Some dealers would not budge on price, and some cars were obviously driven harder than others. Take your time, research what's available, and don't let the dealers pretend there is no room for negotiation. I'd consider both the 330 and 335, as both are excellent cars, though you'll probably get a better deal on a 330. An '06 will still carry the remainder of the new car warranty, but a car that was bought in mid 2006 may have 8 or 9 months more warranty than one originally put in service at the end of 2005, so again, check carfax when compairing cars.

That black 2006 330xi at Circle BMW that I made a fair offer on in December is STILL sitting on their lot, and STILL marked at $29,900. They wouldn't move on the price, even though I knew from carfax it had been there since August. Now it is costing them $$$ and they will likely never sell it for close to what I offered. I ended up buying from a smaller dealership with less overhead and less stock, but more realistic pricing.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have a '08 335 coupe that I bought new. I looked at the CPO cars and saw that the dealers really don't do much if anything other than provide the warranty itself and buff and shine..not even a brake fluid flush. Since most BMWs are 3 yr leases and the "free" maintenance which is the bare minimum (oil changes every 15000 miles for example), Remember that most BMWs are driven hard and rarely serviced yet at 30000 miles. Lots of CPO BMW horror stories so be careful and get the history, especially on service. Mine still says I have 50000 miles left on brake pads with 15000 miles showing on the clock and that my first oil service isn't due for another 9000 miles! Most leases will just keep on going til they get a computer reminder.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Consider getting a CPO with the add-on maintenance warranty that covers brakes, inspections, and all fluid changes. If you plan on owning the car for several years it will definitely be worth the money. This of course assumes you don't do your own maintenance.

·
Oceana142
66 Posts
I have a '08 335 coupe that I bought new. I looked at the CPO cars and saw that the dealers really don't do much if anything other than provide the warranty itself and buff and shine..not even a brake fluid flush. Since most BMWs are 3 yr leases and the "free" maintenance which is the bare minimum (oil changes every 15000 miles for example), Remember that most BMWs are driven hard and rarely serviced yet at 30000 miles. Lots of CPO BMW horror stories so be careful and get the history, especially on service. Mine still says I have 50000 miles left on brake pads with 15000 miles showing on the clock and that my first oil service isn't due for another 9000 miles! Most leases will just keep on going til they get a computer reminder.
This is my big concern and why I might just get a new one with limited options. If I get a car with 25,000 miles, and there has been one oil change in three years, that concerns me. I keep my cars forever so maybe new is the way to go rather than take the risk-feel like there is a 50% 50% chance of getting a good car through CPO.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
CPO quality varies by dealer. Some do an excellent job with their CPO cars, others don't really even do a thorough inspection. Always do a test drive and find out the service history.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My girlfriend has an 2006 325xi sedan that she bought CPO in December of 2007. She got it for $4K below what kbb.com and edmunds.com were saying dealer price would be with all her options (which are every option available except Nav) and she absolutely loves it! Not once in the past 14+ months has she had any type of service or warranty issue, she's only been to the dealership for her free scheduled maintenance. The other nice thing about buying CPO besides the lower price tag is you get the CPO warranty that kicks in right after the manufacturer's warranty runs out.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
CPO gives you a few things that will help you sleep at night.

The can cannot have been in an accident with any significant damage - they will allow for minor things like scuffs on the bumpers and they can be fixed.

Tires have to be BMW OEM or approved and are required to have a lot of tread left, so you typically get pretty new or brand new tires.

Brakes they typically service and replace pads and rotors.

All the services had to be performed on time according to the BMW service schedule.

And of course you get the 6 year 100k warranty

In my book the CPO cars are worth the premium as typically cars that new get traded in at the dealers or sold private sale, if the dealer can't CPO the car then they wholesale it, so a lot of the non CPO/non BMW dealer cars have issues that don't allow for CPO, sometimes that is just too much milage or the dealer needs to get rid of some cars, but they keep the good ones and get rid of the rest.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Tires have to be BMW OEM or approved and are required to have a lot of tread left, so you typically get pretty new or brand new tires.

Brakes they typically service and replace pads and rotors.

All the services had to be performed on time according to the BMW service schedule.

And of course you get the 6 year 100k warranty

In my book the CPO cars are worth the premium as typically cars that new get traded in at the dealers or sold private sale, if the dealer can't CPO the car then they wholesale it, so a lot of the non CPO/non BMW dealer cars have issues that don't allow for CPO, sometimes that is just too much milage or the dealer needs to get rid of some cars, but they keep the good ones and get rid of the rest.
Not always.

Often, the CPO cars are just former loaner cars or off-lease vehicles.

·
Registered
141 Posts
As someone who works with BMW's CPO cars on a daily basis, I'd say it is a great deal for the customer. I would agree that some dealers (or technicians) are more thorough in the CPO process than others. I think a lot of the CPO cars are lease returns, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. With a BMW, you know the scheduled maintenance has been done (hopefully on time), and the sales guys should be able to show you the service history.

I just turned in my 2007 335i sedan. I had it for 2 years and drove it 18k miles. I took immaculate care of the car and changed the oil every 5k or so. When I turned it in, there was not one bit of curb rash on the wheels or any scrapes on the bumpers. It had not been in any accidents or had any paint work performed. The interior looked as it did when I took delivery of it. This is the kind of car you want, although I'm probably a minority in the way I take care of my cars.

The best thing about CPO cars is the warranty. But don't be fooled into thinking it covers everything like a factory warranty. Body and trim items are not covered, and things like squeaks and rattles usually are not either. It's more of a mechanical and electrical parts warranty. Wear items like bushings and batteries are not covered. Audio system parts, and interior/body parts are not covered by CPO. For instance, a worn set of front control arm bushings will not be covered. A battery with a bad cell will not be covered. A blown speaker will not be covered. A peeling shift knob will not be covered, etc. It will protect you in case of any mechanical issue and most electrical problems, and that will save you a lot of money in most cases.

Andy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts