BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'm guessing from the video you are referring to the pulsating "whoomp whoomp...." noise like a helicopter? If so, does it get faster as the car speeds up and gets louder when slowing down to a stop?
If that is the case, it may not be the tires, but could be bad a bearing or wheel hub. To check this, you***8217;d need to lift each tire and check for play. That is, put your hands on the 9 and 3 O***8217;clock positions and try to wiggle it. There should not be much movement. For the front tires, you may get a little bit because of the steering. Now, put your hands on the 12 and 6 O***8217;clock positions and try to wiggle. Again, there should not be any movement. If there is any noticeable movement, then there is a problem with the bearing/hub. To verify, try spinning the tire. You should not feel any kind of resistance and it should spin fairly freely, but if you hear some strange noise and the tire spins tight then it***8217;s definitely the wheel hub.

Had this same thing happen to a previous car I used to own (2003 350Z). The front wheel bearing on the passenger side was bad and after replacing it the pulsating whoomping sound was gone.

These are video links with useful info which would help you diagnose it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqFSRXA_RQA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pilVew4cfnU

Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bet it's a wheel bearing. My rear passenger bearing went literally just days after getting new tires and I went six months blaming the tires for sounding like off-road mudders. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm guessing from the video you are referring to the pulsating "whoomp whoomp...." noise like a helicopter? If so, does it get faster as the car speeds up and gets louder when slowing down to a stop?

I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqFSRXA_RQA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pilVew4cfnU

Good luck.
the pulsating "whoomp whoomp...." noise like a helicopter? If so, does it get faster as the car speeds up and gets louder when slowing down to a stop?

So true on like a helicopter but without the metallic sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Do you have access to another set of wheels/tyres? While it is possible for the noise to be wheel bearing related, some nasty RFT's can most definitely sound like shot wheel bearings. So I would suggest trying a different set of wheels/tyres and see if the noise changes or goes away.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Sounds like a wheel bearing. Just replaced my wife's after replacing all four tires and finding it wasn't the tires creating all the noise. Jack up the car and spin the tire with someone inside. The culprit will be noticeably different inside the cabin from the others. When I cranked out the bearing it just fell apart into pieces.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks Calwaterboy!

Yes, the front bearings are easy, the rear bearings are a PITA! I helped my father in law do this exact job as per the video above when his pre-facelift E46 needed new rear bearings, and well, let's just say it didn't go quite the easy way as in the video, so before anyone attempts this, just make sure that you have effective tools for pulling and refitting those bearings. We had a very similar approach but the bits and pieces that we used were just not up to the task. Luckily for him, he works in aviation maintenance, so we simply removed the entire rear trailing arm and he took it in that Sunday to his work and used the hydraulic press to deal with the bearing removal and re-installation.

Back to the OP though. I still think you might very well just have a noisy tyre issue, and I would start by lifting the car and seeing if you can hear or feel any obvious noised with the front wheel bearings, the rear wheel bearings might be a bit tricky to test since you have a diff and axles attached. But if it is really bad, then hopefully you should be able to tell. If all still seems fine, then I would honestly try and borrow, beg or steal (just joking) another set of wheels and tyres (maybe non-RFT's) and see if the noise goes away. The reason why I suggest this is simple. My E90 came with horrible Continental SP2 RFT's and admittedly they are old now, but from day one they were noisy and generally rubbish. Later on I changed to a different set of wheels and kept these as my spare/service set (technicians seem to have a knack of scratching my wheels), and whenever I fitted them to my E46 which has normal non-RFT's, all of a sudden it sounds as if the car's bearings are shot. Of course, anything is possible, but considering the mileage of your car, my bet is on noisy tyres more than bearings. Hopefully you can find the source of the noise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. I will be bringing my car to dealer since it's CPO. Initial inspection by dealer last month ended up where they can't pinpoint the noise despite sending similar videos.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I will be bringing my car to dealer since it's CPO. Initial inspection by dealer last month ended up where they can't pinpoint the noise despite sending similar videos.
How did they diagnose? [here] are a couple of possibilities - I use an ultrasonic stethoscope a-cause those freq's don't travel - I hear only what's at the point of contact.

Recommend you ask around w/those who evaluate motor and turbine bearings. Those guys know what works and your dealer should have similar diagnostic tools.

·
Not Inherently Unreliable
466 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any update on this?
Hey guys just an update on this. Finally went to the dealer yesterday for service maintenance. The tech when test driving immediately notice that the car was very noisy. 15 minute testing on different road surface. The culprit were the front tires uneven wear with the rear passenger being unsafe due to vibrations/car imbalance. I just had an alignment last year so RFTs are prematurely wearing. No wheel bearings defects which was suggested in the forum. They recommend to get continentals but I'm getting out of RFTs. Just purchase a 3K home theater/TV in Black Friday so it will be a month before I can purchase my tire set up.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,139 Posts
Hey guys just an update on this. Finally went to the dealer yesterday for service maintenance. The tech when test driving immediately notice that the car was very noisy. 15 minute testing on different road surface. The culprit were the front tires uneven wear with the rear passenger being unsafe due to vibrations/car imbalance. I just had an alignment last year so RFTs are prematurely wearing. No wheel bearings defects which was suggested in the forum. They recommend to get continentals but I'm getting out of RFTs. Just purchase a 3K home theater/TV in Black Friday so it will be a month before I can purchase my tire set up.

WHAT ARE YOUR ALIGNMENT NUMBERS??????????

BMW dealers are notoriously bad for giving you an aligment that is 'in spec' but will wear quickly and cause noise.

Report your toe, caster and camber for each wheel, I'll let you know...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts