BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late last night, I noticed I left my sunroof in the up position since parking the car in the afternoon. I go to close it, only it won't stay closed. Keeps going back to the up position. I check to make sure nothing is in the way. Sure enough, all clear. Then I hold the button to re-initialize it. Sunroof then slides open and won't close at all. I then shut the car off and wait a few minutes. Now the sunroof closes, but keeps stopping about every two inches and I have to hit the button about a dozen times to get it completely shut. Off to the dealer first thing tommorrow morning. My question is....does CPO cover sunroof problems?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes, CPO covers sunroof, but it sounds like it didn't initialize properly. Are you holding the button the entire time and actually see it go through the sequence? The reason I ask is that it can be a little confusing the first time you initialize one of these. The sunroof shouldn't be in the pen position at the end of the initializiation.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. How long do you have to hold the button for the procedure and which position is the button supposed to be in?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Press the open button (up motion not a slide motion) and hold for about 20 secs should do it.

You need to see the roof complete a full open and close cycle.
Thanks. Tried that and now it works like a charm. I wrote the re-initialization instructions down in the back of the owners manual so I'll be prepared if it happens again. This is what makes this website so great. Now I can cancel the dealership run!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I recently had the entire "sunroof cassette" replaced on my 550. I was still under the new car warranty by just a few days. My SA said it would have been about $3000.00 if I was out of warranty...or $50 under CPO...so it would have been covered under CPO. I talked with the tech that did the work and he said it was a HUGE pain in the ass.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
While we are on the topic... for those of you who do not know, there is a wrench in the tool kit in the trunk/boot that is made for closing the sunroof in case of a malfuntion preventing it from closing electrically.

It is a "Z" shaped allen wrench that is used as a hand crank.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While we are on the topic... for those of you who do not know, there is a wrench in the tool kit in the trunk/boot that is made for closing the sunroof in case of a malfuntion preventing it from closing electrically.

It is a "Z" shaped allen wrench that is used as a hand crank.
What do you crank with this tool?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
What do you crank with this tool?
Pop open the cover that has the sunroof switch in it (along with the airbag light, etc). Just get you fingers around the edge and pry it down.

You will see a socket for the wrench.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay thanks. I won't remove the cover but I'll take your word that it's there. If my roof ever get's stuck open, I'll know what to do :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.