Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday early afternoon it was thunderstorming and a big crash of lightning struck. It sent a jolt down through all our phone lines, and it screwed up my modem. I took it out, and i have bought and returned two new ones from Best Buy.

None of the new modems worked. One was a no name brand, and the other was Creative's Modem Blaster. I put em both in my computer, and the system wouldnt recognize it. Windows had found an unknown device, but it couldnt install it. I tried installing drivers directly of the CD rom, but it couldnt find the modem. Ive correctly installed 2 other modems in the previous years, so could this be a case of my almost 4 year old computer being a bit outdated?? The guys at the store said the modems i got are brand new, so maybe maybe my computer wasnt 100% compatible?:dunno: :dunno:

Heres another weird quirk. Right now im using the modem that i thought was broken. I cleared out the all the old drivers and modem stuff, and this one mysteriously work again :confused: But, it takes forever to dial up and the connection is ridiculously slow, 100 X worse than before, even though i selected max speed for it. Is there any simple thing i can do to get my modem up to max efficiency?

thanks

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
Not an expert, but this might help (assuming we are talking about a Wintel PC and an internal modem)...

Before doing anything, go throught all the modem setup info, modem driver info, network info, dial-up networking info, etc. and write everything down!

Pull the modem out, boot up and go in to the device manager control panel and find and remove all knowledge of all of the modems. You might also have to remove some things in the network control panel. This might also require one or more reboots (fripping windblows!). Also uninstall all modem drivers that you installed.

Once all prior knowledge of the modems is gone, shutdown, install the new modem, boot up and windows should find the new hardware and request you install the drivers. Reboot as needed until
windows can not find any new hardware or stops requesting drivers.

See if the new modem works.

Report back here with the results.

The next step is to wipe the disk and reinstall everything :banghead:

·
///Mpty pockets
1,963 Posts
I do this kind of thing for a living, but I still don't know that I'm an expert....anyway operknockity pretty much nailed this one. The only other thing I would advise is when Windows finds your device make sure you 'browse' to the CD and point it to the correct folder/file (don't let Windows automatically look for the files). You can also try searching the web for updated drivers for the modem you are trying to use.

And yes it sounds like your original modem is fried...I have found that reduced connection speed is a good indicator for a bad modem. You should look for surge supressors for your phone lines, they are avialable pretty much everywhere and are good insurance against these problems as phone lines/modems are very susceptible to power spikes.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys

I just finished tinkering around. I pretty much cleaned out everything modem related on my windows system. Today i found a few more stuff than yesterday. When i let windows find the device, it calls it an Unknown Display Adapter, and has a picture of a monitor next to it :dunno: When i manually browse the CD for a driver file, the computer freezes on me, go figure. I tried 5 times, and every time:frozen :mad: :banghead: So maybe something is messed up here, and it causes the system to crash

When i use the software on the CD, it says "searching COM 1-COM 4" for a modem. It spends a couple seconds "searching com 1, and it says it cant find anything.

Well, im back to the original modem. It still doesnt feel like its operating at 100% efficiency, but it seems somewhat better than yesterday. I didnt know they made surge supressors for phone lines, i need to get one as this is the third time this has happened.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Mathew, which Win OS are you using ?

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
///Mathew said:
Have you tried to run the Hardware Assistant after plugging the modems ? (to see if the PC recognize them)

OTOH, I can't remember exactly now, but you should reboot the PC after plugging the modem in the serial port.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alex Baumann said:

Have you tried to run the Hardware Assistant after plugging the modems ? (to see if the PC recognize them)

OTOH, I can't remember exactly now, but you should reboot the PC after plugging the modem in the serial port.
I cant find a "Hardware Assistant," but in the past attempts its been using a wizard to try and search for them. Is this it?

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
///Mathew said:

I cant find a "Hardware Assistant," but in the past attempts its been using a wizard to try and search for them. Is this it?
Yep, that's it.

Have you tried to install it through Start-->Settings-->Control Panel ---> Modems---> Add ?

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alex Baumann said:

Yep, that's it.

Have you tried to install it through Start-->Settings-->Control Panel ---> Modems---> Add ?
I did it that way, and also through "Add New Hardware"

·
///Mpty pockets
1,963 Posts
I just realized that I didn't mention in my original post to try installing the modem using different slots on the Motherboard (I assume you have a PCI modem?). This sometimes makes a world of difference. By the way what brand modem are you trying to install, and what type of PC? I have always had good luck with 3com products FWIW.

Strange that it finds an unknown display adapter....have you checked the device manager to be sure that all of your other devices are working properly (no exclamation points)? You just have to love Win98 :mad:

This is the surge supressor that I have....
APC surge supress with phone protection

1 - 11 of 11 Posts