BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a side by side comparison of leather vs. leatherette. Does anyone have any pics?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
BrettInLJ said:
I'm looking for a side by side comparison of leather vs. leatherette. Does anyone have any pics?
No other way to say this but,
until someone like myself gets one in leatherette personally (May25th).......
FAT chance.

All BMW promo pics push the leather 'cause they want you to spend, spend, spend.
But its most likely the same as the '05's leatherette. I don't think there will be any Sensatec like in the X3. Best bet is to check one out @ your local dealer.

Addendum: I have to agree with the next two posts below. :thumbup:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had Leatherette in my e46.....everybody always commented about how nice my leather was. Side-by-side where you can look and feel, it's pretty easy to tell the difference. But, for those with no frame of reference, most of the time it is assumed to be leather. I've got a 7-year-old daughter so Leatherette was a pretty easy decision for me......it's indestructable!

·
Registered
2011 X5 diesel, 371,000kms as of May 2021
875 Posts
I love my leatherette. Snuck a peek in a 540 (2001 or 2000) in the parking garage today. The leather looked like Garbage. The leatherette in my wife's '02 X5 still looks and feels great, and everyone thinks it's leather. Same for my 325 although it's still brand new.

·
Registered
113 Posts
stewthebassman said:
I love my leatherette. Snuck a peek in a 540 (2001 or 2000) in the parking garage today. The leather looked like Garbage. The leatherette in my wife's '02 X5 still looks and feels great, and everyone thinks it's leather. Same for my 325 although it's still brand new.
Same experience. The leather doesn't handle the California sun very well at all, whereas the leatherette seems immune to UV. I had it in my E36 318is and loved it.
The 330 I've ordered is coming w/it.
BMW, at least so far, has used very high quality material for their leatherette.

·
Registered
468 Posts
BrettInLJ said:
All you need to know is the leatherette looks really good but it doesn't feel like leather and you can tell it's not leather when you sit in it. If you need the feel of leather then get leather. It will still have that great leather feel even if you don't take care of it and it starts to show some wear. Leatherette on the other hand is absolutely zero maintenance and it will still look new when you get rid of the car, however many years that is. Some folks even prefer the feel of leatherette because it really grips you and doesn't allow any slipping around, unlike leather.

Feel vs durability is the main tradeoff.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Doesn't leather also have a different stitch pattern? In the BMW configurator the drawing of the seats look different when you switch between leather and leatherette.

·
Le fabuleux destin
568 Posts
The leatherette allows me to throw 2 x 4s in my car and know it can handle it. Coffee and chocolate too.

Also, many people are bothered by the smell of the BMW leather...as mentioned above, some of those same people compliment me on the leather of my e46 (though it's leatherette).

·
Registered
321 Posts
my wife hates anything made from animals. so here's my first stupid question - is the leather that BMW use real leather or synthetic leather? I don't want leather but I want some other things from the premium package (like the self-dimming mirrors and universal transreceiver for garage doors etc. Can I order these alone as separate options? Any idea how much they cost?

·
Registered
124 Posts
fidozoom said:
my wife hates anything made from animals. so here's my first stupid question - is the leather that BMW use real leather or synthetic leather? I don't want leather but I want some other things from the premium package (like the self-dimming mirrors and universal transreceiver for garage doors etc. Can I order these alone as separate options? Any idea how much they cost?
Leather is leather (not synthetic leather). Leatherette is not. If you don't want leather, don't order "leather," order leatherette.

·
Registered
321 Posts
euro-d said:
Leather is leather (not synthetic leather). Leatherette is not. If you don't want leather, don't order "leather," order leatherette.
I don't want to get the premium package coz it includes leather seats - so can I get the other options in the premium package standalone - I see BMW assist as a standalone option but don't see the self-dimming mirrors and garage opener? Were these available standalone for the E46? If so how much did they cost?

·
Registered
113 Posts
fidozoom said:
I don't want to get the premium package coz it includes leather seats - so can I get the other options in the premium package standalone - I see BMW assist as a standalone option but don't see the self-dimming mirrors and garage opener? Were these available standalone for the E46? If so how much did they cost?
Neither of those is available stand alone on the E90. You have to order the whole Premium Package to get them.

·
Registered
507 Posts
BrettInLJ said:
The dealer should have both on E46 as a reference.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ic said:
The dealer should have both on E46 as a reference.
Yeah, I'm just not sure if it has changed for the E90. We'll see soon enough.

·
Registered
468 Posts
BrettInLJ said:
Yeah, I'm just not sure if it has changed for the E90. We'll see soon enough.
E46 was Montana. E90 is Dakota. They are different materials.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
You'll see no difference in the pics, you should see them in person.

·
stop staring at me swan
3,206 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
You'll see no difference in the pics, you should see them in person.
If you look closely, the leather will have seams on the back and on the thigh bolsters whereas the leatherette does not. So you might see this difference in the pics....

I still suggest sitting in one that has both the dakota leather and the leatherette to make your decision...

·
I know a thing or two...
7,439 Posts
bavarian19 said:
1st - leather

2nd - leatherette
Uh... you do realize that BMW doesn't change the pic in any way whether you choose leather or leatherette, don't you? The only time they change it is for color. And, for what it's worth, both those pics are leather.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts