BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted before to ask if anyone knew of a good exhaust for my 97- 328is. But no one responded. :dunno: I also wanted to know about the K&N air intakes. But still no one responded. :dunno: LOL! I thought this is a site where people offer help, and recieve help when needed. Anyway, I decided to go with Supersprint and K&N intake. :D

My real question to you is the the guy at the performance place is telling me about "HAWK BRAKES". Has anyone heard of them? Are they any good? If not, which brakes, rotors, and brake lines would you refer to me. I'm a newbie with BMW. This is the first car that I've purchased, and had it for two years now. Help a brother out! LOL ! :D Thanks in advance to all who responds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Blue 328 said:
I posted before to ask if anyone knew of a good exhaust for my 97- 328is. But no one responded. :dunno: I also wanted to know about the K&N air intakes. But still no one responded. :dunno: LOL! I thought this is a site where people offer help, and recieve help when needed. Anyway, I decided to go with Supersprint and K&N intake. :D

My real question to you is the the guy at the performance place is telling me about "HAWK BRAKES". Has anyone heard of them? Are they any good? If not, which brakes, rotors, and brake lines would you refer to me. I'm a newbie with BMW. This is the first car that I've purchased, and had it for two years now. Help a brother out! LOL ! :D Thanks in advance to all who responds.
Supersprint would be my choice too, tho I'm sticking with stock for the moment ($$). I have an ECIS intake (uses K&N cone filter), and am thinking about trying to add on an ITG filter instead of the K&N, for a little better flow and filtering. If you're using a kn panel filter, then you don't need any changes, tho if your using a cone filter system, then be sure to use a heat shield--otherwise it's worthless.

Brakes: I decided to stick with the stock rotors and pads after having used some supposed aftermarkets (don't know which--the PO thought they were Zimmermans, but I gather those are also oem). If you're not tracking your car I would use the stock brakes. But, you might want to do a search on bimmerforums.com regarding brakes, where this has been a discussion many times over.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Blue 328 said:
Hawk is a brand name. Are they good? That's sort of like asking if Michelin tires are any good. Do you mean the Michelin Harmony All Season or do you mean the Michel Pilot Sport PS2 Maximum Performance? You need to get more specific. In addition to an excellent selection of race pads, Hawk makes 3 different street pads for your car:
  1. Hawk HPS - low dust performance pad
  2. Hawk Performance Ceramic - new technology, ultra low dust pad (new for 2005)
  3. Hawk HP Plus - very high performance street pad
The HP Plus is a somewhat dusty, moderate rotor wear pad and also tends to be squeaky. Its claim to fame is an incredible cold bite that makes it very well suited to autocross. Despite the claims of some vendors, the HP Plus should never be used on the track. Its friction level falls off rapidly when it reaches maximum temperatire, so it can fade without warning at the track.

Most people looking for an OEM pad replacement go with the Hawk HPS.

A less expensive alterantive to Hawk is the Axxis Deluxe Plus. In my opinion, this is the better pad. A favorite of the BMW crowd.

In order to really help you, we need to know more about what you are looking for in a brake pad. Is low dust important? If not, then the Axxis Ultimate may be more suitable, depending on your driving style.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i can tell you this much

my last replacement on my front brakes was a switch to ATE Powerdisc rotors in the front, with PBR metal masters pads. This was about a year ago (maybe less) and the rotors are more badly warped than the stock rotors EVER got. The pads are also very squeaky. I couldn't tell you what's good. But these i would stay away from.

·
Registered
959 Posts
betaphase said:
my last replacement on my front brakes was a switch to ATE Powerdisc rotors in the front, with PBR metal masters pads. This was about a year ago (maybe less) and the rotors are more badly warped than the stock rotors EVER got. The pads are also very squeaky. I couldn't tell you what's good. But these i would stay away from.
The rotors aren't warped. You have uneven pad deposition from the Metal Masters. The rotors are merely innocent bystanders.

Try following my bedding process to see if the judder problem goes away or is reduced: http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm. It doesn't matter that your pads are a year old. This process often fixes judder problems and will reduce the squeaking. You've got nothing to lose. It's free!

If you're skeptical about my diagnosis, take a moment to read this technical white paper: http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts