BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part #1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Collapsible...ies&fits=Make:BMW&hash=item3a8b301ced&vxp=mtr

Part #2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-545I-55...ies&fits=Make:BMW&hash=item3a7c314292&vxp=mtr

I have a friend who just had a 645 imported from the U.S. and the coolant pipe is leaking. I was gonna order these for him because I am not giving him the coolant pipe parts I already have. Hope any insight will help.

P.S. Nope he doesn't want to order the $700 pipe so this is why I am uncertain if this will get him on the road.

·
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are some cheaper pipes available, but does he really want to do it twice? :dunno: This is the best BMW reverse engineered product. They are the proven leaders!

https://www.agacoolantpipe.com/product/n62-coolant-pipe
His car his money. I'm just ordering it for him because he can't. That AGA kit is the one I have. I tried to tell him but I think he is more frustrated about having to fix it before he can even enjoy it.

Plus he's a cheapskate....LOL On the other hand he will blow money on home audio like CRAZY. I will try to talk him into it.

·
Super Moderator
9,956 Posts
His car his money. I'm just ordering it for him because he can't. That AGA kit is the one I have. I tried to tell him but I think he is more frustrated about having to fix it before he can even enjoy it.

Plus he's a cheapskate....LOL On the other hand he will blow money on home audio like CRAZY. I will try to talk him into it.
There was a cheap fix on the 7 series forum that " Paper " posted. I do not think I would try it, but it is an option!

·
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was a cheap fix on the 7 series forum that " Paper " posted. I do not think I would try it, but it is an option!
I took a look at it and it does seem like a good option time and money wise. No reason it shouldn't work and last either. Definately an option if a person doesn't want to do a full pipe replace AND if the front seal is leaking.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would vote for this approach as well. Not only is the installation much less invasive, but it does remove the fundamental flaw. In fairness, the AGA solution does too.

As I understand the original failure is due to the BMW coolant pipe having a 'seal' vulcanized onto the aluminum pipe at the front.

The back of the engine receives the pipe with an "O" ring. The rear is therefore rarely the problem as that seal lives in a groove and is engineered to get its seal from the compaction of the o ring in its groove.

The front however has this larger rubber seal vulcanized onto either the pipe or the timing cover. Not sure which. One side is smooth and engineered for a compression seal, but the other face is expected to seal from the vulcanization process. This is fine for a while, but when corrosion starts to take hold, this bond can break down, and leave a bumpy boundary between the rubber and the pipe or cover. Bumpy surfaces are very hard to make seal under compression as the water will always seek out the low pressure path and seep through.

It appears to me that All German's expansion pipe solves this by replacing the pipe, and making the front seal a compression seal on both faces. This should be a 'permanent' solution. (despite what Bimmer-fix says about this solution being no better than BMW's original mistake)

Bimmer-fix's solution of inserting the Stent with sealer however should at least theoretically be a more permanent solution. It will create about three linear inches of 'seal' that I can't imagine not outliving the engine. This of course assumes you do a good job of installing it, but that applies to whatever fix you choose.

Bimmer-Fix however does nothing to replace tired 'O' rings except for add that conditioner. All German's expansion pipe concept will replace some of these, but not all. So they do get some additional credit for swapping the rear o ring, but negative for adding an Oring or two to the middle of the pipe.

All in, given the difference in time to install, I think for a DIY'er it makes the most sense to try the BimmerFix solution first. If it works, you are done for a couple of hundred and an hour or two. If not, you can still do the All German option and your cost was minimal.

If you are paying a mechanic, the parts aren't really the cost, so I might do the expansion pipe... assuming the difference is less than $500.

Your threshold may vary.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.