BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Univ. of OOPS!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '00 540i6 used and it already had the AE lights on it, although i had a lot of problems with them right after I bought it (halo would stay lit, low beam would go out). The problems were finally resolved and the mechanic told me that someone had hacked up the wiring.

So now I have a major scratch on both my headlights and I need to replace them (insurance $$ :D). I want to get the Euro style AEs with clear corners, but from what I read, the OEM euro parts are not available in the US. There are several aftermarket versions and many are setup to plug and play with non-xenon models. I'm a bit confused and want to make sure that (a) I have xenons now...not sure if there is a non-xenon HID? and (b) if I get aftermarket, should i go for the models wired for existing xenons?

I'm hoping these pics are good enough for someone to identify what I have and give me some advice. Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
No trouble getting euros here.
Turner Motorsport
üm***8226;nitza
>>[email protected], sorry, couldn't find them there, dunno if you've got them.

You *do* have HID Xenons. You can tell because of the thick cable running to the low beams. However, they're aftermarket, as your car is too young for AE and clear lens. That explains the hacked wiring. Someone here might be able to help you in more detail; this is a to-do for me.

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts
Yep, those are cheap Chinese aftermarket HIDs/AEs.

You can order Euro Hella (OEM) Xenons from several vendors, but they will set you back at least $1200. There are plenty of decent aftermarket options, though. I would order a full plug and play set up with integrated HIDs instead of trying to wire what you've got into something else.

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
AEs don't look right

WTF am I doing awake? WTF am I doing here instead of studying. :banghead: More ADD pills req'd, or maybe I should transfer to auto mech.

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
In a 2000, AE are aftermarket.

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts
Xenons may be OEM, but I think the housing/AEs are aftermarket. It's possible to swap out the bulb housings in pre-01 cars.

·
bates man
914 Posts
those housings are OEM too. Hella lights are oem. those are hella.

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts
You may be right. Doesn't explain the hacked up wiring, though. Must have pulled them from an 01+ car and installed badly.

·
bates man
914 Posts

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
the wiring is perfectly fine, and those are 2001-2003 Hella Xenon lights.

I think you may need to adjuster your monitor there Elvis.

I carry hellas on the site. Just enter your e39's info on the left, select the lighting category and look up headlights. There should be an option for ones with clear corners.

·
bates man
914 Posts
lol a VENDOR that doesnt know what they are talking about. NICE!

those are actually the EURO hella headlights.

the ones he has are the US version.
edit: umnitza saw my thread and changed theirs. shady

·
bates man
914 Posts
you may want to re-read what umnitza posted as well there Payam- you called them out for no reason.
a little comprehension goes a long way here fellas.
mark i did read it. it said this:

Nothing about those lights is factory. these are hella US lights. and he had a link to his euro lights.

i saw what i saw lol...and i think i can comprehend just fine. why would i call someone out if they said what i was saying all along. that they are oem :dunno:

·
Univ. of OOPS!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the replies. The lights currently on my car are Hellas. I am assuming they are OEM off a 2001+ and put into this car and, yes, they messed up the wiring when they put them in. The car was still CPO when I bought it and the dealership repaired the wiring (on the fourth attempt). I'm assuming i should go for the kits that are made for the non-existing xenon then?

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The lights currently on my car are Hellas. I am assuming they are OEM off a 2001+ and put into this car and, yes, they messed up the wiring when they put them in. The car was still CPO when I bought it and the dealership repaired the wiring (on the fourth attempt). I'm assuming i should go for the kits that are made for the non-existing xenon then?
Wow, the dealership repaired non-stock wiring? Under CPO?!

If you have insurance money covering this, I would immediately go for the Hella Xenons, whether you want euro (clear signal) or US (amber) is up to you. I don't think you need the non-xenon kit, as you have ballasts, igniters, bulbs, all that expensive stuff; the wiring hacks are probably for AE on a car that doesn't have DRL. (running lights)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts