BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 530i
I am looking to buy new blades assembly that will fit form a local automotive store.
Are there brands that fit?
Dealer wants $65 for a pair or $44 just for refill rubber....insane!!!!
I can purchase refill rubber on line cheap but shipping negates the advantage.

It seems that only the thin rubber is available.
Do I have any alternatives?
Would be nice to be able to buy locally

·
Wingnut
3,893 Posts
michelin and rain-x complete blades at wally world,(26" and 22" for the e39) dupont complete blades are available at various places. the only bosch rubber inserts that ive found do not have the metal stiffener, not a good thing

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
check rock auto for dings and dents quality brands.. I replace mine every year (cuz the rubber on ALL of them is garbage) and buy sets for 2 to 5 bucks on close out.. any length .. remove from the holder they are in and put them on my stock wiper blade arms... works for me.. it's cheap and easy to do.. remember to look for 3 channel rubber.. some only come in two...all have pictures so you can tell what is what..

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
that right .. if you have the 3 channel you can just add in your metal stiffener.. you do need that..
one time i bought a set and the metal hung out over the edge a little.. not a problem still worked great...

·
Registered
352 Posts
61 61 8 217 711

$5 at RM European. $9 shipping, so $20 for a pair, or buy 4 for $30 and stash two for next year. That's a lot cheaper than your dealer.

Do your own maintenance? Throw in a couple oil filters, an air filter and a cabin air filter set and the shipping is free.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rubber replacement are quite thin.
Do owners "up grade" to better, lets say, heavier rubber blades?
I assume to do that, one would need to change the entire arm set up.

·
Registered
725 Posts
2003 530i
I am looking to buy new blades assembly that will fit form a local automotive store.
Are there brands that fit?
Dealer wants $65 for a pair or $44 just for refill rubber....insane!!!!
I can purchase refill rubber on line cheap but shipping negates the advantage.

It seems that only the thin rubber is available.
Do I have any alternatives?
Would be nice to be able to buy locally
I wanted the whole replacement, including the metal backing new. Amazon has a pair of OEM Bosch wipers for $32. If you need oil, or anything else, you'll get free shipping with a $49 order. I picked up some headlight bulbs (Philips Chrystal Vision Ultra) for $25 for the pair. Only a suggestion to help you get free shipping!!

http://www.philipsautolighting.com/bulb-lookup.php?make=22&model=341&year=1999&trim=7 Philips Light Comparison

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-339700...r=8-6&keywords=wiper+blades+for+1999+bmw+540I
The OEM Bosch Wipers

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...field-keywords=wiper+blades+for+1999+bmw+540I
The whole page of BMW 26/22 blades

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
There is no "upgrade" as the E39 uses a unique style of frame and replacement rubber blade. You can either purchase replacement inserts (rubber blade) which can be tedious to install, or get the entire frame and blade (simple swap). There are threads for changing the arms to later E60 arms, but it would take years to ever have the modification make sense dollars wise. Especially when you understand that they are not that expensive online. ;)

There are only two brands available. The original equipment suppler is SWF/Valeo, which can be purchased from the dealer (expensive) or from online sellers for considerably less.
You can find them on both Ebay, Amazon, and BMW parts specialty websites. The SWF/Valeo parts are sold individually...both the frames (complete with insert/blade) or inserts by themselves. Here is the complete set of frames with inserts (factory oem SWF/Valeo), ready to install for under $30 with free shipping on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E39-525...ash=item4192cf9e1b:g:PmUAAOSw-7RVDH5O&vxp=mtr (these are identical to what is sold at the dealer, only not in a 'BMW' package. ;)

A pair of the SWF/Valeo rubber inserts will run you $12 to $14 for the pair (with shipping)...very tedious to install. I have gone with inserts, or frames, depending on my level of patience at the time of purchase. lol Both will last between 18 and 24 months here in rainy Seattle, before they start streaking and require replacement.

The second option is Bosch. They also make the specialized E39 frames, sold as a set of two (passenger and driver), as well as replacement inserts in a pair of two. In my experience, the SWF/Valeo seem to last a bit longer, and since prices are near identical online, I prefer the SWF/Valeo.

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
I wanted the whole replacement, including the metal backing new. Amazon has a pair of OEM Bosch wipers for $32. If you need oil, or anything else, you'll get free shipping with a $49 order. I picked up some headlight bulbs (Philips Chrystal Vision Ultra) for $25 for the pair. Only a suggestion to help you get free shipping!!

http://www.philipsautolighting.com/bulb-lookup.php?make=22&model=341&year=1999&trim=7 Philips Light Comparison

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-339700...r=8-6&keywords=wiper+blades+for+1999+bmw+540I
The OEM Bosch Wipers

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...field-keywords=wiper+blades+for+1999+bmw+540I
The whole page of BMW 26/22 blades
Bosch is not the oem supplier, only SWF/Valeo. The do fit and work just like the oem versions...but may not last quite as long. Perfectly acceptable though! :thumbup:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Bosch is not the oem supplier, only SWF/Valeo. The do fit and work just like the oem versions...but may not last quite as long. Perfectly acceptable though! :thumbup:
When you click on the link to the Bosch wipers, it does say "OEM." Wonder why they would put that if they're not? Maybe they've been added?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I see on the page I linked, Amazon also has the Valeo replacements as well.

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
When you click on the link to the Bosch wipers, it does say "OEM." Wonder why they would put that if they're not? Maybe they've been added?
No, they are not. Bosch has not been much of an OEM/OES supplier to BMW for quite some time. If you read the listing in greater detail it says: "Original Equipment (OE) designed for direct fit and dependable wiping performance" I think they are just implying the fit just like the originals without modification, which is correct.

Bosch used to supply coils and plugs for the E39, but mid production BMW switched to NGK for plugs and Bremi for coils. Supposedly for better reliability.

·
Registered
548 Posts
ECS Tuning has 2 days of free shipping event. Get them for cheap with no shipping

·
Registered
619 Posts
If you want to ditch the OEM e39 style blades you have a couple options
  1. Buy GoodRain, Aerotech or other similar brand from ebay to get beam aka bracketless style blade on the e39
  2. Do an e60 wiper arm conversion (write up here)
  3. Take e39 wiper arms apart and use a bolt from hardware store to hold aftermarket blade (write up here)
  4. Come up with your own wiper arm conversion [fyi someone wanted to just weld the common J hook end to the wiper arm, but he determined it would not work well (see post #25 here)]
Note: see my attached pic so you understand what parts I mean when I saw wiper blade and wiper arm.

Each option has its pros and cons.
Option 1 is a fairly easy way to get beam/bracketless style wiper blades. And If you are careful when removing all the little parts and save them it is probably reversible. Someone also posted that you can take some of those blades apart and buy refills (see here)
Option 2 is pretty expensive and involved (unless you have access to very cheap parts) and when you are done you have the e60 proprietary wiper blade connection so you are limited to e60 specific blades versus any universal blade you want. The e60 blades are the modern beam/bracketless style though so that may be a pro for you.
Option 3 is probably the cheapest, but I personally don't care for the looks of it.
Option 4 is going to require some trial and error on your part and unless you have access to free parts/machine shop it is going to be expensive.

Ultimately you will have to decide if any of those options are necessary for you. The OEM e39 system is a little different, but it does work well. Plus by using the refill you are getting new wipers fairly inexpensively. You could also just buy a set of new blades and change instead of changing just the refills, it is not necessary and more expensive to do so, but it is your money.

Everyone seems to have their fav type/ brand of wipers. Personally I tried various blades when I had my e28 and I thought Bosch Icons were the best. I would get 1.5-2yrs use out of them before they started streaking or making noise. For me the e39 refills start making noise and streaking much sooner, but they are much cheaper. I have always wanted to do the e60 mod, but I have not been able to justify the cost. I may try the GoodRain or Aerotech option one of these days.

Anyone ever try this - frameless wiper blades?
John
That is option 1 that I mentioned above. Several people have tried them. Some seemed to like them others did not (see thread here). Provided you don't break any of those little parts you have to remove, this seems like a fairly risk free option.

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
Some people like to use only genuine BMW parts, which is fine. I didn't want to go through a big deal for parts that technically you're supposed to change every season. Although, some will last a couple of years; I have to replace mine in the AZ sun every year. I mean we're talking wiper blades here!

These have worked out very well for me and are a direct copy of the OEM, reasonable in price and have the metal frame, not the whole arm. Easy to replace and work as well as anything I've ever used over the years. Including the genuine BMW OEM that were new on the car when I bought it. I have the receipt for them. Some maybe don't like Bosch, but here's an easy solution and worth considering looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-339700...56&sr=8-5&keywords=1999+bmw+540i+wiper+blades

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the information.
I ordered a set of SWF/Valeo for $29.95 free shipping.
I now have two sets of blade bodies and can purchase the rubber only and always have a new set ready.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts