BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the old saying goes, don't buy the first MY year of a car - especially a German car. For those of you tossing age-old wisdom to the wind, what makes you comfortable enough this time?

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
buckerine said:
As the old saying goes, don't buy the first MY year of a car - especially a German car. For those of you tossing age-old wisdom to the wind, what makes you comfortable enough this time?
If I buy it'll be for april delivery of 06 - in europe. If I wait for the 07s I'll be without a car for a few months as my lease ends may 23 2006.!

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
I bought my E46 during the first year of production and my car was actually built in the first months of US production.

That said I don't think I have had any more problems then others who have bough their cars later in the model run. In fact, I might have fewer problems them some of the newer cars.

·
Hated by hater haters
1,652 Posts
I waiting for my 05 M3. My wife will get a new car next (she's currently happy with her 99 323i, 45K miles), and that will probably be a 2008/9 E90 330i. After that, maybe a E92 M3 for me. :thumbup:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Desertnate said:
I bought my E46 during the first year of production and my car was actually built in the first months of US production.

That said I don't think I have had any more problems then others who have bough their cars later in the model run. In fact, I might have fewer problems them some of the newer cars.
Just for interest sake my car is now 1,5 years old this weekend, and I have had 0 problems, nothing

NO sunroof problems, no rattles, no window problems, no trim problems, nothing

·
Registered
86 Posts
its a total crapshoot....

my dad has had many many cars and you just never know....we had a MB E class that was just horrendous....problems all the time and it was a few years into the production...

and we currently have a porsche cayenne turbo...one of the first ones that was delivered here in toronto and have had not one little problem with it...

·
Registered
145 Posts
buckerine said:
This will be the third 3er. We have had 99 and 2002 E46s. The 99 was one of the 1st in the US production run, a 323i. With the exception of a thermostat replaced under warranty, there were 0 problems. It was a great car. :thumbup:

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
aldo said:
This will be the third 3er. We have had 99 and 2002 E46s. The 99 was one of the 1st in the US production run, a 323i. With the exception of a thermostat replaced under warranty, there were 0 problems. It was a great car. :thumbup:
The early '99s had a good production run. :thumbup:

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
Perhaps production quality is much like pilot safety performance. Very good in the beginning because everyone is cautious since it is a new run. Then everyone gets comfortable and production quality lags a bit (a lot). Then with years of practice, quality slowly improves.

So I guess you buy the first year or the last year to have good quality :)

·
Le fabuleux destin
568 Posts
Sure I bought an e90 early in the run. My 2003 xi had to have several major components replaced and that was the 5th year into the e46 production cycle. When BMW did replace the transmission, they did it promptly, professionally and free, and gave me another one until that one was fixed.

Would I buy a first model year Chevy. No. But I know if something goes wrong with the e90, it will be fixed and I will be looked after.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Blax said:
Sure I bought an e90 early in the run. My 2003 xi had to have several major components replaced and that was the 5th year into the e46 production cycle. When BMW did replace the transmission, they did it promptly, professionally and free, and gave me another one until that one was fixed.

Would I buy a first model year Chevy. No. But I know if something goes wrong with the e90, it will be fixed and I will be looked after.
That's cool. Although, personally, I think its a crapshoot with dealers. You may find a great Chevy dealer and a horrible BMW dealer. It sounds like Lexus dealers offer more consistently high quality service, but with other makes I think it really varies based on the specific dealership. I know that we like to think that buying a BMW will get us premium service, but for the most part it doesn't. Still, its great that your experience was so smooth.

·
Registered
119 Posts
buckerine said:
You're too kind. Actually, German cars are terrible in reliability the first FEW MY's. My 1997 e39 (first MY) was so unreliable I was short of sueing BMW, BMWNA, BMWAG, and the selling dealer. Everything from audio to door seals to rack-and-pinion to waterpump broke. :mad:
Since I got rid of it I have had no problems whatsoever with Japanese cars. Never had to worry about the car not starting or breaking down. What made me change my mind? Japanese cars are too f'in boring to drive and to look at. Sadly, if the first MY e90 has half as many problems as the first MY e39 I would be a happy camper. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
buckerine said:
It looks cool to drive the newest model. The reliability is not an issue because you have 4 years to fix.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dkfchan said:
It looks cool to drive the newest model. The reliability is not an issue because you have 4 years to fix.
Hmmm, "coolness" is not a factor for all of us. :rolleyes:

Reliability *is* an issue especially if your car is in the shop more than it should be.

·
Registered
801 Posts
dkfchan said:
Cool is subjective.

And in this case of the E90 I think its stretching it.

The E90 doesn't shout cool.

I'm not sure what it shouts...but cool????...no.

·
2,457 Posts
My 99 323i had far fewer problems than my 2002 330i. I'm in for a May 25th European Delivery for a 2006 330i. Not worried in the least. I also had a 1992 325i, first model year. No problems there either. I don't think it's that much of a crap shoot....

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
dkfchan said:
Cool? It's a car. A car you had no hand in designing. nothing cool abot it.

·
@sshole
113 Posts
my car is payment free next month (and still less than 50k miles)....so i will wait until Spring 06 for a new 3, if i like them....maybe an off-lease/demo 5...i am not worried about early production runs....these cars have been seriously worked up....BMW has too much ground to lose to rivals like Lexus/Audi/MB...they can't afford to f**k up out of the blocks. Buy it, you may get a lemon, you may get a Cherry....you always get warranty, and trade the thing in before the warranty is up if its a dog.

---ptp----

·
2004 325XI
593 Posts
xspeedy said:
Perhaps production quality is much like pilot safety performance. Very good in the beginning because everyone is cautious since it is a new run. Then everyone gets comfortable and production quality lags a bit (a lot). Then with years of practice, quality slowly improves.

So I guess you buy the first year or the last year to have good quality :)
Interesting point of view. I have a friend who owns the first MY e46 and he has had some problems but nothing to give him a bitter taste about the car. I wouldn't be surprised if the '06's turn out to be pretty reliable given the technology available today. The hype over this car is incredibly high so I would imagine BMW is aware of this and would learn from their mistakes from with E46.

Was the e46 this hyped up in '98?

·
Registered
75 Posts
My April 99 production E46 hasn't given me any problems, but for the malfunctioning thermostat and those nagging window regulators. Having talked to the salesperson, it seems that the notion of first year problems has skipped the E46. Instead, his view is that BMW has somehow cheapen the material in the car beginning with the 2003 model year. We both agreed that maybe the 2000 year has the best built quality. The 2001 year is just a crapshot of different steering systems.

Now, any bets on whether the infamous window regulators have been fixed with the E90?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts