Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Rest in peace, Coach
Joined
·
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The harness will be here by the end of next week. :(

Also the Carbon Fiber looking Colgan bra won't be here until Tuesday. Man, I need both of those on Friday!
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Dan,

You do not NEED a harness yet. Nor do you need driving shoes or upgraded brakes or R compound tires.

Those are all for when you get really good.

There is no shame in being a novice.
 

·
Rest in peace, Coach
Joined
·
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TD said:
Dan,

You do not NEED a harness yet. Nor do you need driving shoes or upgraded brakes or R compound tires.

Those are all for when you get really good.

There is no shame in being a novice.
No, I wanted to TEST and evaluate, if nothing else, the harness on the track and write next month's article on that. What better place to evaluate the harness than a track event?

Of course, now I have an excuse to go out on a good twisty and drive REALLY HARD to test out the harness. Just thought the track event is a better controlled environment.:dunno:

And frankly I kinda enjoy my novice status...There's no ego involved here. One of my friend tend to obsess about his "C" class as a student sometimes.
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
The HACK said:


No, I wanted to TEST and evaluate, if nothing else, the harness on the track and write next month's article on that. What better place to evaluate the harness than a track event?

Of course, now I have an excuse to go out on a good twisty and drive REALLY HARD to test out the harness. Just thought the track event is a better controlled environment.:dunno:

And frankly I kinda enjoy my novice status...There's no ego involved here. One of my friend tend to obsess about his "C" class as a student sometimes.
Running with the C group, you can be assured of at least one REALLY slow guy who you will never look worse than.
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
TD said:
Dan,

You do not NEED a harness yet. Nor do you need driving shoes or upgraded brakes or R compound tires.

Those are all for when you get really good.

There is no shame in being a novice.
Well, I don't think that a harness, shoes, or upgraded brakes will hurt him at all. R compounds are certainly a terrible idea starting out. But, I don't see any harm in the rest. Unless you want to deal with the challenges of brake fade :dunno:

I would like to get a harness...
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
TD said:


Running with the C group, you can be assured of at least one REALLY slow guy who you will never look worse than.
unless you are that slow guy :p

edit: damn Mystikal
 

·
Rest in peace, Coach
Joined
·
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nate328Ci said:


unless you are that slow guy :p

edit: damn Mystikal
LOL. Wont happen because I'll be running with the D group guys. :thumbup:

Actually, the Driving Concepts divides the run groups into 2 groups, and BMWCCA divides into 4. For this event I'm just going to run at my own pace to start with, then slowly increase my speed in each lap to push the envelope a little bit more until I'm comfortable pushing the limits of my car. Hell, I've got 4 hours worth of track time. :D

Nate, I'm trying to build a good relationship with Jeff @ HMS motorsports, maybe I can get a new set of harness for you at discounted prices.
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
The HACK said:


LOL. Wont happen because I'll be running with the D group guys. :thumbup:

Actually, the Driving Concepts divides the run groups into 2 groups, and BMWCCA divides into 4. For this event I'm just going to run at my own pace to start with, then slowly increase my speed in each lap to push the envelope a little bit more until I'm comfortable pushing the limits of my car. Hell, I've got 4 hours worth of track time. :D

Nate, I'm trying to build a good relationship with Jeff @ HMS motorsports, maybe I can get a new set of harness for you at discounted prices.
let me know :thumbup:

They are 4pt, correct?
 

·
Rest in peace, Coach
Joined
·
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nate328Ci said:


let me know :thumbup:

They are 4pt, correct?
Yes...Unless you PREFER the 5 pt type?

It may take a while though, I'll need to evaluate the harness that he sends me, and then find out if I can buy another set from him. Who knows, this may develope into the same relationship I have with Rob L. of UUC.
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
The HACK said:


Yes...Unless you PREFER the 5 pt type?

It may take a while though, I'll need to evaluate the harness that he sends me, and then find out if I can buy another set from him. Who knows, this may develope into the same relationship I have with Rob L. of UUC.
A 5pt probably isn't necessary for a street car :p

I would imagine that the installation would be more challenging than the simple 4pt which installs on the factory mounts :thumbup:

If the price is right, I may be interested. But, having to buy 2 harnesses could be expensive :(
 

·
Rest in peace, Coach
Joined
·
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nate328Ci said:


A 5pt probably isn't necessary for a street car :p
:D It's for the missus. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Nate,

I LOVE my Schroth Rallye 4s!!! I've had them for well over a year now and use them all the time at the track! :D

And they match the car too!!! :D :bigpimp:

<center>
<img src="http://www.e46fanatics.com/members/JawKnee/harnesses.jpg">
</center>
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
JawKnee said:
Nate,

I LOVE my Schroth Rallye 4s!!! I've had them for well over a year now and use them all the time at the track! :D

And they match the car too!!! :D :bigpimp:

Mind if I ask how much? Was the install easy? Do you keep them in even when you are driving on the street? :bigpimp:

edit- Did you get my e-mail?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
nate328Ci said:


Mind if I ask how much? Was the install easy? Do you keep them in even when you are driving on the street? :bigpimp:

edit- Did you get my e-mail?
Thanks for the email Nate! However, no real info in regards to possible ratios on their LSDs. I expect to get a phone call by Monday due to the holiday. If not, I will call them again ;)

I purchased my Schroths from http://www.hmsmotorsport.com over a year ago and I believe I paid around $140 per side.

I keep them in, but I don't use them. I tuck everything underneath the seats with the exception of the female end of the tail strap which sticks out of the rear seat but doesn't get in the way IMHO... Not my car, but here's an idea of what I mean:

<center>
<img src="http://www.my330i.com/photos/mod12h.jpg">
</center>

However, there is a "BMW" version of the Schroth belt that is now available (only in red and black I might add and costs $50 more I believe). This version supposedly uses the stock female end and therefore, nothing will be sticking out of the rear seat cushion as in the above pictured.

Installation was straight forward and essentially uses the stock mounting points. I've done a few Schroth harness installs and for two, it takes me a little under an hour....
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
JawKnee said:


Thanks for the email Nate! However, no real info in regards to possible ratios on their LSDs. I expect to get a phone call by Monday due to the holiday. If not, I will call them again ;)
Tell us what the ratios are! Yea, they give everything but the ratio :mad:

For this reason, I suspect that there are several ratios :dunno:

Anwyay, even a moron like myself should be able to install the harness with the right directions :bigpimp:
 

·
Hi
Joined
·
4,481 Posts
The HACK said:


And frankly I kinda enjoy my novice status...There's no ego involved here. One of my friend tend to obsess about his "C" class as a student sometimes.
Does he happen to drive an E46 M3??? :angel:

BTW, I think the harness is great, even for a novice, on the track. You can check mine out at the track on Friday.
 

·
Rest in peace, Coach
Joined
·
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Raffi said:


Does he happen to drive an E46 M3??? :angel:

BTW, I think the harness is great, even for a novice, on the track. You can check mine out at the track on Friday.
Carbon Black? :angel:

When he moves up to B class, watch out you guys...He's got ~100 horses on you and he's not afraid to use it. :D Too bad Andy can't make it.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top