Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no back up fireplace or wood burning stove?
Matt. No back up.
If I leave the thermostat at 55 it works OK.
If I leave at 68 the most it gets to is 60 then throw a code for system lock out.
Check the Flame Roll out switch and it tripped.
So, I'm running it in limp mode at 55. Wait for Spring to come.
Thanks for asking.

·
Wingnut
3,710 Posts
yikes its only february,,used to live in upstate ny, i remember what the weather can do there.burners messing up and tripping the rollout?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yikes its only february,,used to live in upstate ny, i remember what the weather can do there.burners messing up and tripping the rollout?
If my hypothesis is right I have a crack heat exchanger.
my heat out of the vent is only 70 deg when combustion is running. Should be around 95 and higher.

Yeah upstate NY and Winter is the norm. I get used to it but doe's mean I like it.

Wish I can be in AZ or LA.

·
Wingnut
3,710 Posts
Make sure you have carbon monoxide detectors.
+10000000...a crack in the heat exchanger can be deadly for folks in the house. easy enough to test for, or a mounted detector will scream if it is leaking CO. what fuel does it burn? as ya know, CO is deadly, but in smaller doses still causes negative effects that take some time to clear out of the body, the blood level takes some time to get down cuz the red cells treat 02 and CO the same. usually the roll out detector looks for flames getting outside the burner box.

edit...with that low vent temp, you may have an airflow issue, or getting an incomplete burn, something is limiting it (blocked/dirty burner), these could also cause your rollout, if the combustion gas isnt being drawn out fully. old furnace?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,468 Posts
the red cells treat 02 and CO the same.
. NO! Absolutely not! Carbon monoxide is preferred to oxygen. "Hemoglobin's binding affinity for CO is 250 times greater than its affinity for oxygen." Guyton and Hall Textbook of Medical Physiology (12th ed.). (Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders/Elsevier 2010) Hall, John E. p. 502. ISBN 9781416045748.

I qualified EMT 1980, and Georgia State Fire Control Technician 1981.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
+10000000...a crack in the heat exchanger can be deadly for folks in the house. easy enough to test for, or a mounted detector will scream if it is leaking CO. what fuel does it burn? as ya know, CO is deadly, but in smaller doses still causes negative effects that take some time to clear out of the body, the blood level takes some time to get down cuz the red cells treat 02 and CO the same. usually the roll out detector looks for flames getting outside the burner box.

edit...with that low vent temp, you may have an airflow issue, or getting an incomplete burn, something is limiting it (blocked/dirty burner), these could also cause your rollout, if the combustion gas isnt being drawn out fully. old furnace?
Yes, CO is deadly. I have CO monitor in the house.

The low vent temp issue I think is because I have a very dirty heat exchanger. the combustion flame looks very clean but occasionally there's some amber and this is why I think it trips the flame roll out sensor.
Or because the heat exchanger is so dirty that the system is overheated try to reach 68deg and triggered the limit switch.

Any how I'm committed to replace the heat exchanger just wait for the part to come and better weather.

I have a Bryant (Carrier) gas furnace with central air.

For air flow issue I replaced the filter, it's brand new.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Man, I wouldnt move back to upstate NY if I was promised all expenses paid for life and 72 virgins after I died.... :rofl: Theres 2 seasons there.... winter, and not winter about 6 months each. I dont envy you 16valex

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man, I wouldnt move back to upstate NY if I was promised all expenses paid for life and 72 virgins after I died.... :rofl: Theres 2 seasons there.... winter, and not winter about 6 months each. I dont envy you 16valex
Ha ha. The folks around here are saying " it's beautiful here except for those Summer months"

·
Registered
08,535XI
242 Posts
Sounds like your flame sensor is bad. How long does it run, once it ignites? If it's just a minute then off that's it.

You can salvage it for a minute with fine sandpaper. How old is the furnace?

Nevermind read it wrong, I'll go with my initial response

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like your flame sensor is bad. How long does it run, once it ignites? If it's just a minute then off that's it.

You can salvage it for a minute with fine sandpaper. How old is the furnace?

Nevermind read it wrong, I'll go with my initial response
A new flame sensor is coming by the end of tomorrow, I will try it. But because even after running for 30 minutes the vent heat never went passed 72 degree, this is why I think my heat exchanger is bad.

·
Registered
08,535XI
242 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just found this for a quick heat exchanger test. So easy it's nutty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WABAnzUthAg.

Otherwise it probably is the flame sensor if it actually fires for a minute, they go bad along with the igniters. All you need is a 1/4 inch nut driver for both.
This is the place to find part numbers and such.
https://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts/b380i223/Bryant-Flame-Sensor-Parts
That's a very good and easy test for crack heat exchanger. Thank you. I'll test that out.

Yeah, Repair Clinic is awesome. That's where I have my parts coming tomorrow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts