BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used 730d 2006 only to find that it has no ARS. apparently this is not a feature that is standard on 730ds. I had a 523i and it had ARS and I am finding the ride around corners much less comfortable in the 730d. Is this something that can be installed later and programmed?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It could be possible,I would imagine to add ARS to your 7. It depends on how much you want to spend. I just replace the struts on my 760. (Only one small component of the ARS. If you could find a donor car you might be able to get all the components)I did not use BMW OEM struts because of the cost. I went with the Bilstein replacements. Best price I could find was $2700 parts only. By the time you add the trunk compressor another $500. And all the rest of the components. Plus secondary components that may be necessary to support things. You could easily top out at $10,000. and when you're all finished you could do this with your car.

https://youtu.be/9CoA9O8hmdQ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It does seem possible but too expensive for the age of the car. probably cheaper to replace it with a post 2009 version where I am told ARS comes as standard on all models.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Thanks. It does seem possible but too expensive for the age of the car. probably cheaper to replace it with a post 2009 version where I am told ARS comes as standard on all models.
ARS came standard on all 760's from 2002-2008 so it might be worth looking into one of those as well.

You can probably buy a used ARS system for around 2-3K can get it coded.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ARS came standard on all 760's from 2002-2008 so it might be worth looking into one of those as well.

You can probably buy a used ARS system for around 2-3K can get it coded.
Thank you. That would certainly be worth it but would a used one from a 760 work on a 730?.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Stone, while in theory I'm sure everything should both up bolt up to the 730. Was ARS offered on the 730s? It would be interesting to know if there would be any components on your car that may be in the way. Also it's not just a matter of finding all the donor parts. It also involves removing everything from both cars. Then placing it on your 730. If the donor car has front or rear damage. Components could be damaged also, and you have to find components from a second car. Because there are components in both the front and rear of the car. Plumbing and electrical will need to be routed. This may involve removing interior also. Your first idea about upgrade to the next generation with standard ARS is the best idea. Even if you could quickly get the job done and it was not difficult you're still dealing with a 6 to 15 year old vehicle. Which as expensive components that could fail. Driving the cost up again. Let's say your transmission goes out a year down the line. Sell your E66 and Buy another E66 equiped the way you want it,or find a newer or F01/02

·
Registered
436 Posts
ARS was offered on the 730d. I actually made sure I avoided the ARS system as I've read about plenty of stuff going wrong with the system.
However, having done a number of retrofits that don't really make sense I'd suggest you look closely at the difference in the electronics between the two versions. As there is a lot more involved than simply installing some front and rear active stabiliser bars.
Also, specifically you would want to look into wether you need the other dynamic drive components as well like the adaptive suspension as I believe this is run of the same ECU.

·
Registered
473 Posts
ARS = Active Roll Stabilizer Bar
while EDC-K = Electronic Damper Control - Continuous
Adaptive Ride Package typically included both, at least in the US spec.

These are two separate systems, which operate independently. See the Training Literature I posted in the DIY section for the components of each system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts