BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:dunno: Hi there just wondering if this has happened to anyone out there my 1998 328is asc light and abs lights came on and wont shut off, and the spin control is def. off and as far as the abs goes i belive thats not working either, this happened once before but they went out after I shut the car off and turned it back on....Please help

·
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!
230 Posts
same thing happens to me...i cant seem to get an answer from any1...i went to bmw and they said it was a throttle valve actuator? i think thats what he called it...tell me if that helps..:dunno:

·
E30 Maniac
2,461 Posts
im having the same issue on a 96 328i. my indy shop is telling me it maybe the throttle valve actuator. my lights usually go off after i turn the ignition off and back on. try reading the ecu codes if you have a peake tool.

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
Throttle Valve Acutator

I thiink they are referring to the ASC servo. I would trace the three wiring bundles from the ASC to their connectors. One of those is a servo that is attached to the strut tower. Be sure that one is well attached because when I did my aftercooler I removed the ASC and all the attached hardware including servo. My ASC light came on and it was caused by the wire harness not being attached to the now dead servo. Plugged it in and no ASC. I suggest you check that. I will bet that your ABS is a wheel sensor dirty but pulling codes is a good thing to do.
Hope this helps some...

·
Registered
845 Posts
I installed new headlight bulbs today, and tonight, about 3 hours later while sitting idle, I noticed the asc and abs lights were on. I turned off the car, and turned it back on, but the lights still displayed.

I drove home, about 5 miles, and the lights continued to stay on. I came in the and researched this forum about what the lights meant, when displayed together. I did this for about 30 minutes, then went out to the car, popped the hood, wiggled the wires connected to the headlight (low beam) bulbs I replaced, and also wiggled the wires near the area where I was working on the bulbs. I started the car, and the lights were gone. It was very late, or I'll say early, so I didn't go for a drive to see if the lights would be displayed again.

Is it possible I just bumped a wire? I may take a look at the wheel sensor on the front driver-side (I guess this is what I should check, from what I have read; correct me if I'm wrong) wheel, to see if it's dirty.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Ok, so I drove the car today, and about 1 hour into driving (a couple of stops), I made a left turn and the ASC & ABS lights came on again, and have stayed on. I guess I will call the dealership Monday, and try and get the car in to them. I hope it's not the ASC control unit, as I have a third-party warranty, and it covers the ABS system, but not the ASC (atleast it doesn't state it does).

I think I might check the front wheel sensor for dirt, as that I have heard others talk about, but how do I do that? What do you all think it could be?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, Same problem here, encountered for the first time after replacing right side xenon bulb strangely enough. So surprised to read you have had the same experience. Is there some connection here? Did you find the fault?
Please post your findings, Thanks, Steve.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'm not sure if the problem is related to the lights, but I guess it could be an existing issue, and maybe installing lights fluctuates the voltage just enough to send the ABS module over the edge.

The dealer tried to replace the sensors, all of them. I let them replace one, but after the problem wasn't solved, and me not thinking that it would be anyways by replacing the sensors, I had the module rebuilt by 'www.modulemaster.com .' Once I received it back, and installed it, the problem was solved.

What year is your vehicle?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check the voltage at the battery with the car running. If your alternator is not putting out enough voltage the car shuts off ABS and ASC as a fail safe. May be we worth checking out. If your have an unlocked OBC check #9 and it will give you a voltage reading.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Aiwapro. Sorry for the late reply. My car is a 1998 525TDSA. I'll try and check the charging voltage too.

·
Registered
226 Posts
mine is a broken wire, when myt bro had the car when it was his the went from back to right n the middle and said it might be going towards the ft but had them stop cuz he was going on a trip

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, Same problem here, encountered for the first time after replacing right side xenon bulb strangely enough. So surprised to read you have had the same experience. Is there some connection here? Did you find the fault?
Please post your findings, Thanks, Steve.
Very strange...

This just happened to me as well (on my late 2002 E46) - ABS and DTSC lights on three days after replacing the right side bulb...

Anyone any ideas what to do so it won't cost a fortune?

Have read various issues on here at a browse, from wheel speed sensors, ABS modules, steering angle sensor, control units, altenators etc, and costs for repair varying from $100 to $1100

:dunno:

What should I do as a start point? Give it a good powerwashing to see if it's just a dirt build up? (roads very dirty in ireland at the minute with so much rain)

PS - If it's any help, it was absoloutely heaving it down here for the last 2 days - can excess water cause this problem?

·
Banned
2,704 Posts
I do not own an E36, but I think BMW ABS sensors(near the wheel) are very sensitive. A cheap place to start is to try cleaning the sensor, and the connections with an electrical cleaner. try www.caig.com Great stuff!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.