BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2021 X5 45e
218 Posts
Thanks for the perspective. As a newbie to Beemers (thinking of a 228i), is ASD implemented by default? And what is Esys? My preference in motorcycles (BMWs) has always been quiet but quick and stealthy and I like cars that way too.

I know there is lots of opinions regarding the implementation of active sound design in later model BMW's (as well as similar technology used in other brands). I am not looking to start a philosophical debate about ASD, just wanted to share.

So while I didn't like the idea of engine sound augmentation, seeing others playing around with ASD got me interested in trying some of the alternatives and experiment.

Using Esys, I was able to program M3/4 ASD sound profile in my 228i. There are videos on YouTube that several folks have uploaded showing the end result - so you could hear the result. When I coded to simulate M3/4 ASD, I was not able to use the HK audio setting and have it be recognized appropriately, however it did work with the "Stereo" setting - meaning the base audio. In this setting, the ASD was quite loud and obviously recognized as fake. Also, the ASD sounds were the same across different setting (Sport+ down to EcoPro).

I then tried the 235i's ASD profile (model, engine, different audio configs), which my 228i was unable to use...resulting in no ASD sound.

So I ended up reverting back to the 228i original config, except for changing the audio setting from Branded HiFi to Stereo. The result is just a louder ASD, with sounds that truly match the N20 engine. Since I had disabled ASD in my playing around I was able to determine that the stock ASD for the 228i with HK audio (my stock implementation) was very low volume and barely noticeable. Frankly there wasn't much of a difference between no ASD and stock.

Regardless of my thoughts of ASD, I do really like the way it sounds (to me) being a little louder than stock, despite knowing it is merely a facade. Eventually I plan on adding a performance muffler, perhaps Dinan or BMW (if they every produce a 228i performance muffler like the one they have for the 328i)... at which point I may revert back to the stock ASD setting.

Also, I can tell you it is rather easy (with Esys) to disable ASD if you don't want it at all... And there are plenty of instructions on how to do this in the forums.

·
Registered
2021 X5 45e
218 Posts
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the reply and info!

Active sound design is on by default, however it is not loud at all, so one wouldn't really know.
BMW ESys is an application that allows one to make changes to the default values of the ECU. It leverages the obd2 port on the car. Google and you can read all about it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.