BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I open my ashtray lid cuz i keep change there sometime I had to pay a toll, Afterwards I tried and tried but it will not close and lil things like that really bother me any input?????????????

·
Realtor
500 Posts
Pull the lid back a little farther and the ashtray should pop up and be able to be removed. See if something is jammed in there.

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
the lid cover may be lose.

·
Registered
27 Posts
hit it.

Mine does the same thing. I have the ashtray out of there, and I keep change in it. It used to work fine, but my wife :mad: had iced tea in the car and spilled it. Now, mine is tempermental at best. When it won't stay closed, I hold the cover down with one hand, and tap on it with one finger from the other hand. Whatever is sticking in there lets go, and it stays closed. I know it sounds weird, but it works for me. It will open and stay closed without issues for a few weeks until I have to repeat the "give it the finger" process again. Good Luck

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
see the cover on mine came lose from the astray door, it would move slightly to where it wouldn't close. but it sounds like your may have a penny or something keepin it from closeing. i know you looked but you'll probly have to take it apart to find out for sure.

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
Not helpful post:

What's the matter with the change container in the door or the storage box directly behind the ashtray? Why not just use the ash tray for decorative purposes, like the ones in the rear i.e. don't touch it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have this same problem and I have actually taken my center console out to fix it. Ive had enough of trying to open and close it and have to push on it several times to get it to work. Its not too difficult to get that out. You can watch the number 6 video of the Dice install for E39 on YouTube for info on removing the center console.

Now there is a locking/unlocking mechanism on the bottom of the ashtray under the center console. Its a plastic tab that rides in a channel and fits in a groove/notch type spot to lock it. When you push it in it lifts the tab out of that groove.notch and lets it slide back down the groove. Im assuming there is a spring inside somewhere that makes the ashtray pull open...However I do not see a spring on the lockign mechanism and that is my question...Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a spring on the actual locking mechenism or if it just works by motion and gravity. If I knew whether or not there was supposed to be a spring there then I would know if it was broken or not. I suspect there is not supposed to be a spring there and that it is not broken but just dirty.

My car has had this issue since I got it. It looks like someone had spilled something in there at one time because it looks a little dirty/gummy like maybe some liquid might have spilled down in there. I would say maybe pop but then I would get slammed by all the non midwesterners for not saying soda so I will just say liquid.

Anyways, Im going to try to clean it all up and see if that resolves the whole problem. When I hold the console sideways it seems to work more consistantly and this is why Im wondering if it just needs to be cleaned. I did find that the ash tray mount (under the ash tray can be removed if you unscrew the screws and remove the top wood piece from the console base. Dont know if it really healps having that off or not to clean this mechenism but it lets me clean it all over easier anyways.

If anyone knows about this spring or no spring question, please post a response.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Followup...Cleaned the latching mechanism with some isipropal alcohol and a tooth brush and it seems to be working perfectly now! Thats a relief. Save some money on somehting finally. And what a luxury it will be to be able to simply push the lid and having it open or close as desired! The latching mechanism is underneath though so you have to pull the console to get to it to clean it if you are having similar problems you may want to give it a try.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts