BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 BMW X3 3.0 (32K miles)
Out of nowhere the ashtray door stopped closing! Went to my dealer and they said that the clips in the ashtray are broken and I would have to replace the entire ashtray. They said the part plus labor was almost $400.

How difficult is it to replace this ashtray? Looks like you have to remove the trim piece and then pull out the ashtray plus its door as a unit. If I had instructions to replace the ashtray, my hubby could do the work and keep me happy :angel:

·
Registered
38 Posts
It can't be $400 hard to replace... definitely get the parts and try it yourself.

I'm sure someone will post the parts diagram and/or instructions on how to remove the ash tray.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
That's because the ashtray module is part of the centre trim console. Its not a simple "ashtray with door" that slides/bolts in. And in order to replace the centre console, you have to remove the vents and all the plastic surrounding the radio and Climatecontrol unit.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
mom, get Hubby to find one at the local wrecking yard (oops, "Dismantler") and replace the clips instead of the whole thing. Whilst taking it out of the wreck it is easy to see how it fits. I am sure in SD there are a number of high end european car dismantlers. $400 large is just too much :mad:for an ash tray IMHO. Good luck!:thumbup:

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
That's because the ashtray module is part of the centre trim console. Its not a simple "ashtray with door" that slides/bolts in. And in order to replace the centre console, you have to remove the vents and all the plastic surrounding the radio and Climatecontrol unit.
unacceptable on BMWs' part to design and engineer an ashtray that requires $400 worth of labor and parts simply because they chose to bury it in an inaccessible place in the center console.

This is why BMWs get a bad rap for being expensive to repair, and in this case its well deserved. :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll sell you a like new used dark maple center console with working ashtray door for $100. Will even explain how to replace it. Took me about 45 minutes and it was the first time I had done anything to the BMW. Sorry for the shameless plug I am just trying to sell some stuff that is taking up space in the garage.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
unacceptable on BMWs' part to design and engineer an ashtray that requires $400 worth of labor and parts simply because they chose to bury it in an inaccessible place in the center console.

This is why BMWs get a bad rap for being expensive to repair, and in this case its well deserved. :thumbdwn:
BMW also does this so the fit-finish looks better and thus, is less likely to squeak.

If you simply make a cutout in the centre console and pop in a ashtray, the tray holder would rub against the surrounding trim. Over time, this will lead to squeaks and rattles over cobblestone roads.

·
Bleed blue and white
294 Posts
BMW also does this so the fit-finish looks better and thus, is less likely to squeak.
...unless it's an '07 E83. But then that squeak will be drowned out by the cacophony of others.

The E30s had an insert that could be easily replaced IIRC, and they didn't squeak much. But then again, they weren't the fanciest interior trim, as AzNM points out.

·
rackman
2 Posts
ahsytray door wont stay closed 2004 x5

I know I am replying to an old post but i just had this issue a few days ago. I had something stuck, where the ashtray cover was stuck half way open. I gorilla fisted it closed as i drove down the road and then it would not stay closed. What i found was a very simple 1 minute fix. there is a movable arm made of plastic that is located behind the center of the ashtray door. this arm can swivel back and forth. If you take a flashlight and open the door all the way you can barely see it visable it is maybe 1/2 an inch long with a small button on the end. Mine was pushed all the way to the left so the locking tab would never latch onto the button. I took a long thin screwdriver and pushed it back to the center position and it now workd like a champ. You dont even have to dismantle anything just maybe remove the tray. hope this saves anyone some grief or a $400 repair bill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts