BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 530i, last of the E-39s (5/03 production). Car has unresolved electrical/battery problem that dealer of purchase has been unable to identify/repair (towed in five times, stranded twice, on my fourth battery). Am about to engage the dealer on an assisted trade (car is owned outright). What are anyone's experiences with assisted trade, how is the buy back value of the problem vehicle determined, what compensation (if any) is factored into the deal for a problem car, does BMW typically try and foist a CPO into the deal, or if not, how successful has anyone been on negotiating on a like new vehicle (target would be within $1,000 of an invoice - good timing given the pending engine upgrade for the '07 5s?)? Tips or reality check appreciated.

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A DUPLICATE POST I ERRANTLY RAN IN THE E-39 BOARD

·
I know a thing or two...
7,439 Posts
JTuning said:
2003 530i, last of the E-39s (5/03 production). Car has unresolved electrical/battery problem that dealer of purchase has been unable to identify/repair (towed in five times, stranded twice, on my fourth battery). Am about to engage the dealer on an assisted trade (car is owned outright). What are anyone's experiences with assisted trade, how is the buy back value of the problem vehicle determined, what compensation (if any) is factored into the deal for a problem car, does BMW typically try and foist a CPO into the deal, or if not, how successful has anyone been on negotiating on a like new vehicle (target would be within $1,000 of an invoice - good timing given the pending engine upgrade for the '07 5s?)? Tips or reality check appreciated.

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A DUPLICATE POST I ERRANTLY RAN IN THE E-39 BOARD
BMW does not allow dealers to CPO a car in the state of California if it was a former lemon-law buyback or "Trade Assist" vehicle because of new legislation in that state.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
SARAFIL said:
BMW does not allow dealers to CPO a car in the state of California if it was a former lemon-law buyback or "Trade Assist" vehicle because of new legislation in that state.
For a right-coaster, you're a pretty smart guy Sarafil :thumbup:

·
I know a thing or two...
7,439 Posts
philippek said:
For a right-coaster, you're a pretty smart guy Sarafil :thumbup:
Yeah, I guess so... ;)

that, and I just had to appraise a car the other day that had a disclosure on the DCS report about being a former trade assist vehicle and not being eligible for CPO enrollment in CA. I called BMWNA and got the scoop on the new law.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I have been involved with a number of them,and BMW was always more than fair to my customers.One was in an '02 745LI and they put him in a '04 for free,another was a'03 325ci and they moved him up 2 years newer for no charge.Each is handled on a case by case basis,and some they might give wholesale to wholesale, but in all of the ones I've been involved in, BMW really stepped up to the plate. I even had a customer with an '06 325 that had some oil issues,taken out of that car and was given a 330 for a small cash difference amount.It also helps to have the sales manager and the head of BMW service behind your customer's problems

1 - 5 of 5 Posts