BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

At it again!

25K views 61 replies 12 participants last post by  Ron Stygar 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Just don't put the shift boot in before I get there!

Looking at after lunch on Thursday (26th)...

How'll that work for you guys?

#10 ·
Good time to........

...think about an idea I have for adding gauges. Just off to the left side on the center console. I have been placing cardboard between my right leg and the console. There seems to be plenty of space for a row of two gauges and some switches. We could then cover it with matching leather. If we want to balance the affair, on the right side of the console we could have an equal sized panel for the cell phone/swithes/aux power outlet more gauges/clock etc. I don't have any extra gauges, try tapeing one on the side and see what you think.

#11 ·
OBC connector

OBC /Connector? shouldn't it be on the right side of the console? thats where mine is. Has someone lost theirs?

#12 ·
DannO said:
Nice family resemblance!

Andy - any chance of a "Big Book of Dash and Console Disassembly?"
Sadly, no. Between all the projects we have going (full audio upgrade, center console, sender install, rear fog, HVAC bulb addition, plus many more) and all this family stuff we have going on, we will be lucky to get finished this week.

#13 ·
Re: Good time to........

bob lindquist said:
...think about an idea I have for adding gauges. Just off to the left side on the center console. I have been placing cardboard between my right leg and the console. There seems to be plenty of space for a row of two gauges and some switches. We could then cover it with matching leather. If we want to balance the affair, on the right side of the console we could have an equal sized panel for the cell phone/swithes/aux power outlet more gauges/clock etc. I don't have any extra gauges, try tapeing one on the side and see what you think.
Not for me. You could add the panel pretty easy but my knee would be in constant pain if I had gauges there. I saw pics somewhere of someone who did it.

I didn't get the OBC option. OBD connector is in there. Not sure where it will get placed on the new console....The whole is not cut so I can pretty much relocate anywhere I like.

#14 ·
AndyM said:
Sadly, no. Between all the projects we have going (full audio upgrade, center console, sender install, rear fog, HVAC bulb addition, plus many more) and all this family stuff we have going on, we will be lucky to get finished this week.
No sweat. If there ever comes a time when it makes sense for you to do, I'm sure many of us would be interested and appreciative. Shoot, you guys ought to consider doing an e-book of the disassembly / repair / upgrade stuff. I'd pay $50 for it in a heartbeat, cause I know it would be at least as good as your suspension and diff posts.

Happy Holidays!

#16 ·
Today's update

Randy Forbes dropped in for a very fun, but brief visit and got to see the progress along with a run down of the completed mods (a couple of mods are visible in the pic but I will leave it as a 'Where's Waldo?' thing). Also got the new Peanut amp as the Xtant was too large too fit. Slowly moving our way back, but we still have a long ways to go before Sunday. Should have the amps and speakers wired and the door panels re-capped tonight. Here are a couple of shots from last night....

Quick note about the center console: The leather and build quality is far better on the replacement console than it is on consoles from the factory.

#17 ·
very cool keep us updated on all the mods( rear fogs i want to do to) would love some info on how you did it. glad all is going well with the project but isnt the picture of the first mod going to be a bit dangerous during driving and also im sure it will cost alot of money to keep it fed:lmao:
max

#19 ·
Ron Stygar said:
Were you able to get the cluster apart?
Yes. Bad news is, there is no indicator slot on the dash for the rear fog. It is blacked out. We wired to a new location which will light up one of the other indicators that is not in use.

More bad news, There is a scratch on the plastic cover of the gauges. When the car was at the dealer, they must have thrown the keys up on the 'tray' in front of the gauges. I've known about it for a while but thought it was a cat hair. Looks like I will have to replace the plastic which means a new cluster. Will probably get one with the correct, non-blacked out indicator for the rear fog. Meguiars 17 and 10 did nothing on the scratch. Seems like I am going to be paying for my trip to the dealer for a long time to come.

#20 ·
Yes. Bad news is, there is no indicator slot on the dash for the rear fog. It is blacked out. We wired to a new location which will light up one of the other indicators that is not in use.
>>>I thought that you knew that. Should've asked.
I installed a lamp in the rear fog position and it lights up a dim orange during the day. Fine when it's not bright out which is when you would be using them. Problem on a bright day you may miss that they are on.
Next time that I have the cluster out, I'm going to try to see how it looks with one of those super bright LEDs in place of the 2w lamp. My guess is that it will be fine.
More bad news, There is a scratch on the plastic cover of the gauges. When the car was at the dealer, they must have thrown the keys up on the 'tray' in front of the gauges. I've known about it for a while but thought it was a cat hair. Looks like I will have to replace the plastic which means a new cluster. Will probably get one with the correct, non-blacked out indicator for the rear fog.
>>>My friend John F. used a cluster from the UK to do this. I believe that you lose the km from the speedometer too.
Meguiars 17 and 10 did nothing on the scratch. Seems like I am going to be paying for my trip to the dealer for a long time to come.
>>>Never take your car to a dealer unless you absolutely have to.

#24 ·
Rear fog wiring

What pin position is used for the arrows indicator?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.