BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a series of pics taken during the last 3 fluid changes. Unfortunately, the 3rd fluid change was just bout as dirty as the 1st, so I'm going to keep changing it until I get some nice red fluid.

1st pic show the short Allen drive socket reaching up over the exhaust (drivers side) to pull the level check plug. Also note the very clean pan exterior. I still have a valve cover gasket leak and the pan was covered with dirt and oil, so first part of this process was taking the car to the wash rack to clean the pan before it's removal. (A carry over from working on race cars. They'd come right off the trailer and into the wash rack after a race.)

2nd pic shows the sludge that was in the bottom of the pan. Note the 4 magnets sitting in the circles at each corner of the pan. The are just small, factory, lose bar magnets that you can take out and clean.

The 3rd pic shows the poly drive bolts (screws?) used to hold the pan to the trans, and also the Allen head level check plug being removed by the short 3/8's drive Allen socket. It really helps to have Allen head sockets because many of these bolts and plugs haven't been out in many years and can be quite stubborn. While it would be possible to use an Allen key with a piece of pipe over it, the correct, short Allen sockets are available at HF for bout, $10 and allow you to use as big a breaker bar as you need, then switch to a small socket wrench to finish the job. The next time you run into a stubborn Allen, you can pat yourself on the back for being so smart you picked up a set of them cheep and being ready.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
These next couple of pics show the fluid drained from the trans pan. There should be 3 pics but I guess I forgot to take the 2nd one. No matter, they all looked nearly identical. :(

·
Registered
15,576 Posts
No pics.

Good idea on the multiple changes. Gotta get the torque converter flushed. You DO drive it around between fills?

Don't know if the trans has a thermostat to speed up heating, so the drive s/b a few miles, at least.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No pics.

Good idea on the multiple changes. Gotta get the torque converter flushed. You DO drive it around between fills?

Don't know if the trans has a thermostat to speed up heating, so the drive s/b a few miles, at least.
Hi ed, having trouble getting the pics out of my phone and into my computer.

Been driving the car bout 2 weeks between changes. One thing about the way I'm doing it, it's sure flushing all the sediment out because that fluid is staying very, very dark.

Going to work on getting the pics out of the phone again today, and then will expand the post to show the fluid pumps, which ones worked best for me, etc.

Jim

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Just wanna add some notes:
1. Car need to be leveled when filling.
2. ATF need to be at the correct temp when filling to ensure the proper amount.
3. You probably get about 70% of the ATF draining from the pan, so multiple drain and fill is a good idea.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Refilling the transmission with one person and getting up/down to get the fluid at the right temp and running it through the gears is a major PITA. What are the board's thoughts on dropping the right side off of the ramps/jack stands when refilling and putting exactly the amount indicated on the attached chart (in the without torque converter column) in the pan? Dropping the right side should allow one to get the full amount in.

My only concern is that I'm unsure if this chart represents a new, completely dry transmission & torque converter assembly. How much fluid can the transmission hold after the pan is dropped? It can't be much. What are the consequences of a slight overfill?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think its a brilliant idea. Difficulty would be to get it to just the right temp because the fluid expands quite a bit with increasing temp. Reading old posts about changing the fluid, several people have indicated that the trans seems quite sensitive to fluid levels.

Jim

·
Registered
177 Posts
Refilling the transmission with one person and getting up/down to get the fluid at the right temp and running it through the gears is a major PITA. What are the board's thoughts on dropping the right side off of the ramps/jack stands when refilling and putting exactly the amount indicated on the attached chart (in the without torque converter column) in the pan? Dropping the right side should allow one to get the full amount in.

My only concern is that I'm unsure if this chart represents a new, completely dry transmission & torque converter assembly. How much fluid can the transmission hold after the pan is dropped? It can't be much. What are the consequences of a slight overfill?
Two tools that really make it easier:

1. Buy a cheap garden sprayer (1-2 gal). Fill with fresh ATF, pump it up and use it to fill the pan. You can get them for less than $10. I cut the tubing on the "wand" to about 3 inches and that allows you to put the end into the fill hole and start/stop the flow with the trigger.

2. Infrared thermometer. I have a little cheap (but accurate) one that looks like a small laser pointer. The ATF will warm fairly slowly while idling, so just measure a few places on the pan. When the temp hits 90 degrees, do the fill to overflow (since the fluid is probably a little warmer than the pan).

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Could only find 1 pic, but being that the color of all 3 changes was pretty much the same, use your imagination. :)

This was the 3rd change, note the slight red tinge on the edges of the fluid. For the first 2 changes, there was no red tinge at all.

The large roasting pan worked great to because it holds a lot of fluid and also catches a lot with out too much going on the floor.

Jim

Attachments

·
Master of none
307 Posts
Could only find 1 pic, but being that the color of all 3 changes was pretty much the same, use your imagination. :)

This was the 3rd change, note the slight red tinge on the edges of the fluid. For the first 2 changes, there was no red tinge at all.

The large roasting pan worked great to because it holds a lot of fluid and also catches a lot with out too much going on the floor.

Jim
Just a thought on the drain and fill........ to expand on the idea of raising the passenger side of the vehicle. Measure exactly what you take out and refill the trans with the passenger side substantially higher, putting in exactly what you took out. I just did mine a few weeks ago and getting the fill plug back in with that hot exhaust pipe and trans fluid running down your arm is no fun. Burned my hand pretty good. And that was with the car over a pit at my cousin's shop. There has got to be an easier way!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I tried comparing INPA trans temp and infrared temp gun, and the temp gun was way off. Not reliable. I remember somebody on this forum explained why.

Trans temp goes up to 35 and over 50 pretty quickly, but It takes a looong time for atf to cool down. I just barely got the atf at full level, on my first try.

If the transmission fluid level was as critical as some people make it out to be, I think they would have made the filling process a bit different. As long as you have enough fluid near the fill level and not too much to cause foaming by the mechanical part of the transmission, you should be fine. When the car is moving, fluid is sloshed around, and as trans temp changes, fluid level will keep changing. When you make gear changes, flyud level changes. I've been monitoring my atf temp via inpa, and the temp fluctuates quite a bit. There's got to be a wide enough window allowed for atf level.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Just a thought on the drain and fill........ to expand on the idea of raising the passenger side of the vehicle. Measure exactly what you take out and refill the trans with the passenger side substantially higher, putting in exactly what you took out. I just did mine a few weeks ago and getting the fill plug back in with that hot exhaust pipe and trans fluid running down your arm is no fun. Burned my hand pretty good. And that was with the car over a pit at my cousin's shop. There has got to be an easier way!
You know, I think provided you weren't starting low, drain with the trans fluid cold, then refill cold with the same amount, car high on the level check side, I think it would work.

I got a burn or 2 and soaked a pair of decent gloves changing mine last time, and I like your idea.

How'bout this, first change is done hot to ensure the correct amount is in the trans, there after, measure what comes out and replace it cold.

Jim

·
Master of none
307 Posts
You know, I think provided you weren't starting low, drain with the trans fluid cold, then refill cold with the same amount, car high on the level check side, I think it would work.

I got a burn or 2 and soaked a pair of decent gloves changing mine last time, and I like your idea.

Jim
Let me know if you try it. I am thinking of changing again.......at least two more times and then doing a filter change again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts