BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, no one is saying that the E90 is perfect. But for christsake, it cannot be as bad as many of you are proclaiming.

The E46 was and still is a fantastic car. No one is debating that. However, overall, the E90 will be an even better car. No one has more at stake here than BMW. Do you really think that they would build a car that they thought was in any way inferior to the previous generation? They are literally placing billions on the line, and if they have to make a few consessions in terms of features, comfort, and convienence in order to compete with Lexus and Infiniti, they must do so. But, in comparison, BMW will always be the driver's car because BMW knows that is their niche.

The game is different now. Back when BMW introduced the E36, Mercedes and maybe Jaguar were the only real competitors. All of a sudden, the Japanese come along and start building luxury cars with more standard features and better reliability. How do BMW and MB compete? They remind consumers of their company heritage and claim to offer a better driving exprience. However, that type of marketing only appeals to a certain, and relatively small, group of consumers.

What BMW and MB must do is offer similar features and reliability as the Japanese, while at the same time cater to their core customers (driving enthusiasts) by offering cars that are more rewarding to drive while at the same time not being to harsh in terms of ride quality. A delicate balancing act to say the least.

So, those of you who are malcontent with the E90, I say that you cannot truly blame BMW for the consessions that are made with the E90. They are just trying to be competitive. They have to move forward with styling, and, in my opinion, they have done a very good job with this while taking a few chances that they knew would not be appreciated at first. They must also be competitive in terms of ride and comfort. Do not expect a non-sport package E90 to be as crisp as a non-sport package E46.

Finally, be supportive of BMW if you are truly a fan. Let them know if you are unhappy with their decisions and the direction that they are taking with their cars. I'm sure that most of the people who work at BMW are enthusiasts just like ourselves, and they would love to hear that we want BMW's to continue to be the Ultimate Driving Machine and not another boring Lexus/Infiniti dork-mobile.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I could not agree with you more! I like my 1999 323i more and more everyday. I also really like the e90 and will place an order in the next 3-4 weeks. I wonder how may people who bash the e90 have recently purchased an e46 in the past couple of years. It would be interesting.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Good post. It seems like the guys who couldn't wait for the new car to come out, and bought the out going model instead are the ones trying the hardest to rationalize their move by bashing on the new model. I'm not specifically talking about anyone here, but I really noticed this happening on other boards for other makes. Maybe we could have a similar thing happening here?

If navigation, i-drive and active steering were all standard equipment on the new 3, I would be bashing BMW right now. I really like the new car a lot - it seems like a worthy successor. Everyone complains about the rear of the car, but I dislike the front more. I think it will grow on me like the E60 has over time.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
I like the exterior styling very much. I'm sure the engine, drivetrain, and suspension refinements make for substantially better performance. I'll definitely consider the E90 when the time comes for me to get a new car.

My only beef is with the downgraded dash design.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Plaz said:
I like the exterior styling very much. I'm sure the engine, drivetrain, and suspension refinements make for substantially better performance. I'll definitely consider the E90 when the time comes for me to get a new car.

The dash, is killing me that line is so annoying......Why... they could not round it off? The rear looks fine but I also don't like the headlight turn signals intergration into the front fender.

That Buick badge is

:rofl:

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
The dash looks much better in person. The above "Buick" pic was taken with and/or modified to stretch out the frame left to right. The dash is much more compact in real life and has a nice curve to it (the center of the dash is closer to you than the sides).

In the E60 forums there has been much discussion of this less "driver oriented" dash. In part it's because the I-drive screen and especially navigation functions must be equally available to the front passenger. For safety and convenience the passenger can input addresses. Think of it this way: no more nagging about getting lost....you just input the data and the car tells your husband where to go!

Smartly, in the new 3, the I-drive is optional. And, having a 5 series with I-drive/Navigation I am not totally convinced I would order I-drive in the new 3....especially since I'd get a stick....too much distraction and not enough free hands.....and the voice activation just doesn't do it for me.

FWIW...I drove an E46 330 for 3 years and think the E90 is a beautiful and more capable car.

·
---------
459 Posts
Plaz said:

When I saw it on the pictures I also disliked the dash design but ever since I saw the interior at the dealer I thought it is actually an improvement from E46 and I liked it more. I know I may be in minority here with this opinion. I think the new dash is less cluttered and the top of the dash is of good size. In E46 the middle part, of the top of the dash, seemed like a very large area. I think it's just individual preference and what we are accustomed to (if somebody owned E46 it will be harder for him to adjust to the new design overnight).

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
Bimmer06 said:
I could not agree with you more! I like my 1999 323i more and more everyday. I also really like the e90 and will place an order in the next 3-4 weeks. I wonder how may people who bash the e90 have recently purchased an e46 in the past couple of years. It would be interesting.
I think that a lot of people were in the boat where they could have chosen a late model E46 or waited for the E90. After seeing many of the pictures previewing the E90, it actually swayed a lot of buyers to the E46 line. If you consider that the driving experience on the E46 is widely regarded as incredibly - the incremental improvements to the E90 probably don't make up for the severe changes in appearance. For this reason a lof of people recently bought E46s and are still complaining about what they don't like in the new E90.

I think you simply have the cuasality backwards (ie just bought an E46, must be justifying purchase by hating E90).

·
10,856 Posts
First and foremost, let me preface the following with this statement: I like the E90, its looks are acceptable, and it will *probably* offer a huge improvement in performance. I look forward to driving one and actually seeing what they're like.

That said, WHAT THE **** IS UP WITH ALL THIS "IT HAS TO BE BETTER CRAP?!?! Why do people feel a desperate need to place all their faith in BMW's design, management and engineering?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I haven't seen an E90 in person yet, but I'm not a huge fan of it at the moment. Then again, I'm not much of a fan of the E46 sedan, either. Sitting in a 330i, for exampe, I'm constantly reminded of the concessions made for those in the back. SCREW `EM! It's MY car... they can climb in. :D

Unfortunately the E90 is having to fill its shoes as a sports sedan with a little more emphasis on *sedan* than BMWs of the past. A lot of people are buying cars with less sport and more sedan, and BMW needs to cater to that part of the market.

Coupes, however, are more driver's cars than sedans, and BMW rules the world there. The only "stiff competition" from Japan in that regard is the Infiniti G35, which the E46 does a good job against, IMHO. I'm expecting the E90 coupe (E92?) to rock the house.

·
Registered
801 Posts
tim916 said:
Hey, no one is saying that the E90 is perfect. But for christsake, it cannot be as bad as many of you are proclaiming.

The E46 was and still is a fantastic car. No one is debating that. However, overall, the E90 will be an even better car. No one has more at stake here than BMW. Do you really think that they would build a car that they thought was in any way inferior to the previous generation? They are literally placing billions on the line, and if they have to make a few consessions in terms of features, comfort, and convienence in order to compete with Lexus and Infiniti, they must do so. But, in comparison, BMW will always be the driver's car because BMW knows that is their niche.

The game is different now. Back when BMW introduced the E36, Mercedes and maybe Jaguar were the only real competitors. All of a sudden, the Japanese come along and start building luxury cars with more standard features and better reliability. How do BMW and MB compete? They remind consumers of their company heritage and claim to offer a better driving exprience. However, that type of marketing only appeals to a certain, and relatively small, group of consumers.

What BMW and MB must do is offer similar features and reliability as the Japanese, while at the same time cater to their core customers (driving enthusiasts) by offering cars that are more rewarding to drive while at the same time not being to harsh in terms of ride quality. A delicate balancing act to say the least.

So, those of you who are malcontent with the E90, I say that you cannot truly blame BMW for the consessions that are made with the E90. They are just trying to be competitive. They have to move forward with styling, and, in my opinion, they have done a very good job with this while taking a few chances that they knew would not be appreciated at first. They must also be competitive in terms of ride and comfort. Do not expect a non-sport package E90 to be as crisp as a non-sport package E46.

Finally, be supportive of BMW if you are truly a fan. Let them know if you are unhappy with their decisions and the direction that they are taking with their cars. I'm sure that most of the people who work at BMW are enthusiasts just like ourselves, and they would love to hear that we want BMW's to continue to be the Ultimate Driving Machine and not another boring Lexus/Infiniti dork-mobile.
I absolutely hate the E90. It's boring and bloated. I have driven BMW's for 30 years. I will never buy an E90.

Never.

No matter what you tell me to do or think.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Plaz said:

I finally sat in one, and was surprised I actually like the interior, as much as the E46. It felt great.

So my only beef with the car (not having driven it) is the size, I'm not looking for a 5 series-sized vehicle.

·
Astigmatic Visionary
2,802 Posts
peakpro said:
I absolutely hate the E90. It's boring and bloated. I have driven BMW's for 30 years. I will never buy an E90.

Never.

No matter what you tell me to do or think.
I've been around and driving Bimmers for over 30 years and the boring and bloated appellation has been given to the new generation of each model,especially the E46.Times and makets change and the E90 is just a different tool not a "bad" one.If it does not fit your wants or needs thats fine.Really light and tossable(in a relative sense) vanished 2 generations ago but the replacement were still good cars.I've got no problems with the E90 but I'm really interested in the 1 series although I'll be disappointed when they won't let me get a hatchback.:mad:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Clarke said:
I've been around and driving Bimmers for over 30 years and the boring and bloated appellation has been given to the new generation of each model,especially the E46.Times and makets change and the E90 is just a different tool not a "bad" one.If it does not fit your wants or needs thats fine.Really light and tossable(in a relative sense) vanished 2 generations ago but the replacement were still good cars.I've got no problems with the E90 but I'm really interested in the 1 series although I'll be disappointed when they won't let me get a hatchback.:mad:
I have no evidence of what you say, but you may well be correct. But for me this is the first 3 series I find disappointing.

Good luck with the 1 series.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Dawg90 said:
I'm not looking for a 5 series-sized vehicle.
where did you get that from...the car is 49mm longer, 78mm wider and only 6mm taller....so over all its less than an inch all the way around bigger than the e46...so i dont know how you can even compare it to a 5??? :dunno:

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
I'm an e46 owner as well. The e90 is the first "new BMW" that whose styling doesn't immediatley turn me off. I don't loe the exterior, but its acceptable and it is more modern than the e46. I've sat in several e90s, and the interior is of generally better quality than the e60 or 65, but the overall design is unappealing. I guess I'll probably "get over it" in a few years and buy one because I still find the competition even less appealing. the new LExus IS *might* win me over, but the more l look at it, the more I really don't like its looks.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Pangearox said:
where did you get that from...the car is 49mm longer, 78mm wider and only 6mm taller....so over all its less than an inch all the way around bigger than the e46...so i dont know how you can even compare it to a 5??? :dunno:
78 mm is less than 1 inch? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Pangearox said:
Actually, E90 is wider than the E39: 71.5 vs 70.9. Also, it has same rear track as the E39 @ 59.6". The front track is smaller, but is closer to the E39 than it is to the E46. And the trunk is the same size as the E39's @ 460 liters.

I would say that the E90 is right smack in between the E46 & the E39.

·
Registered
305 Posts
RichReg said:
Actually, E90 is wider than the E39: 71.5 vs 70.9. Also, it has same rear track as the E39 @ 59.6". The front track is smaller, but is closer to the E39 than it is to the E46. And the trunk is the same size as the E39's @ 460 liters.

I would say that the E90 is right smack in between the E46 & the E39.
Thank goodness. The e46 is too small for me. E-90 is just the right size for a sports sedan with four doors IMHO.
psyran

1 - 20 of 76 Posts