• Buy a VW W12 Phaeton and TOTALLY start over

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am in the middle of making a purchasing decision and I would like some opinions. I have a 98 E38 750iL now with most of the mods I want (Sport seats, widescreen TV nav, Intravee Ipod integration, Rear view back-up camera, sport differential...and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few), but since I have a 98 I can't do the steering wheel paddle mod (needs to have stage 1 air bag system that's not standard build dates prior to 9/98) which I REALLY want. A good friend of mine (TitaniumSeeker from BF) has it in his 00 Dinan 740i and it's SWEET! Since I've been thinking of getting this mod for some time now, I have a decision to make:

1-Buy a 01 E38 750iL, transfer my goodies to it and do steering wheel paddle mod and sell my current E38 750 (minus the goodies of course)
2-Buy a 760Li and start the process over just to get to the point I am now
3-Buy a VW W12 Phaeton and TOTALLY start over since I'm not even familiar with the car (and before you flames me do your homework, that's a bad-ass car...and I don't even like VW's!)

This question is for any current E65/66 760 owners that came out of a E38 750:

Have you had any regrets with your decisions since you've had the 760? Give me all the dirt too...lots of repairs, electrical problems, etc. I've been back and forth about this decision and I would like to be well informed before I make a move.

Thanks in advance!:thumbup:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yes, the E66 760s do tend to have problems (although I am not sure if it is a bigger problem than the 750s). At the same time there is a lot more technology in them, and are a lot safer to drive in, compared to what you currently drive.

I moved up from a Lexus GS, which was totally dependable -I miss that. It was also totally boring and I was tired of it. I look forward to my commute every day now, if that helps.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
This is my take on it:

1. Comapare the costs of a 750IL, W12 Phateon and a 760LI, and see which you can afford, and rank by most affordable to least.

2. Research more on the W12, see it's modability and what you can do to it.

3. I must warn you that the 760LI has very, very few mod's for it. It's just the dinan throttle body, a few bodykits and the TV nav to go. Of course, there is the HAMANN stuff, like motor strokers and stuff, but that ranges from 10K up.

In my opinion, research a bit more on the W12 and decide between the W12 and the 760LI, also look at an Audi A8 W12 too. Time has moved forward, and if you have the option of riding in a newer car, why not take it. Your repair bills for maintance on a 750iL will continue, yet on the others, you can have a balance of warranty and more mileage to worry about it. As well, these cars a much safer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the E66 760s do tend to have problems (although I am not sure if it is a bigger problem than the 750s). At the same time there is a lot more technology in them, and are a lot safer to drive in, compared to what you currently drive.

I moved up from a Lexus GS, which was totally dependable -I miss that. It was also totally boring and I was tired of it. I look forward to my commute every day now, if that helps.
i guess i've been lucky because i haven't many problems at all with my 750. i'm having a couple electrical gremlins right now, but i think their self inflicted since i'm playing around with my electrical.

have you done any mods to your 760?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is my take on it:

1. Comapare the costs of a 750IL, W12 Phateon and a 760LI, and see which you can afford, and rank by most affordable to least.

2. Research more on the W12, see it's modability and what you can do to it.

3. I must warn you that the 760LI has very, very few mod's for it. It's just the dinan throttle body, a few bodykits and the TV nav to go. Of course, there is the HAMANN stuff, like motor strokers and stuff, but that ranges from 10K up.

In my opinion, research a bit more on the W12 and decide between the W12 and the 760LI, also look at an Audi A8 W12 too. Time has moved forward, and if you have the option of riding in a newer car, why not take it. Your repair bills for maintance on a 750iL will continue, yet on the others, you can have a balance of warranty and more mileage to worry about it. As well, these cars a much safer.
1-did that already and the 760 is by far the most expensive...but even compared to a new 760, still way cheaper because people shy away from the v12

2-i don't do many, if any, engine mods...it's pushing 400+hp so i think i'll be good with that. i like to focus on comfort & convenience mods...like a nice audio set-up, ipod interface, and tv-on-the-go are key at this point.

3-exterior mods are not that important...maybe some nice deep dish 21's or 22's should be fine as far as the exterior for me. like i said...i like to focus on the inside where i get to enjoy the fruits of my labor

Looked at the Audi and they are pretty similar except for the styling. i like the A8 as well, but not so much to pay the extra for pretty much the same car. why the emphasis on safety because i guess i've never felt that my 750 wasn't safe? of course there's newer technology probably makes the car a lot safer, but that's just like saying a quad core chip is faster than a dual core chip. the quad may be newer, faster, and has more technology, but the dual will search the internet and run typical apps just as well too. i'm interested in hearing more about that...how much more safety is the newer car getting me?

I have no regrets going from my 2000 Dinan 740i sport to an '07 750i with no mods. It's a great car and I love every minute in it.
do you mind sharing why you made the move? had the money so why not...problems with the 740i...decided it was time to make a upgrade, etc

thanks again everyone...i think i have almost eliminated the 750iL since i know i would probably be disappointed driving around essentially the same car after making a new purchase, but i would like to hear more about the safety issue.

·
Registered
315 Posts
No I have not done any mods yet. Not sure if I will be able to tell if I had 10-20 hp more. I like the way it looks and drives. I am thinking about the mufflerman exhaust mod and the mObridge solution in the future.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my mods are listed on my sig
sunny,

i pm'ed you already (like 2wks ago now) and you gave me the great advice of not having a 760 w/o a warranty. i really like the mods you've done and i really like that color (always wanted a dark grey car), but like i said earlier the ipod integration is ABSOLUTELY necessary. when i say integration, i mean i plug in my ipod and i can control it w/ i-drive and steering controls. from doing my RE'SEARCH' (that one is for you sunny;)) my only real option is the mobridge and i thought i read that it's FULLY integrated start with MY06 models...i was thinking about MY04 or 05

sunny, what car did you have before the 760? Are you

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
get a late build 05+. that way you will have full integration including text. i had a 2000 deville, 02 745 that spent 4 out of the 6 months in the shop and now i have the 760.
wow...that's exactly what i want to avoid! the 760 is looking better and better to me. does the late 05's have the keyless start? if not, when did they start that?

i had a 2000 740i before the E66. entirely different car IMO. out of your 3 choices, id go with the 760. personally, im gonna give lexus (LS) or audi (S8) a shot for my next sedan.
the s8/a8 would most definitely be on the list if it was in the price range i wanted to pay. i seriously think that is why i haven't gotten anything else yet...i don't want to start paying a car note:thumbdwn: as nice as the LS is, i think it would be boring to drive...it looks boring.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
as nice as the LS is, i think it would be boring to drive...it looks boring.
its not boring to drive but it does not feel attached to the road like the 7ser. but drop it and stiffen up the suspension and your good to go. + this looks boring?:confused: i think it looks better than the audi flagship. either way, you can't really go wrong with a 760 (unless its in the shop all the time and Id say your chances of that happening is in the 60-70% range):rofl:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sweet! thanks for the assistance sunny
its not boring to drive but it does not feel attached to the road like the 7ser. but drop it and stiffen up the suspension and your good to go. + this looks boring?:confused: i think it looks better than the audi flagship. either way, you can't really go wrong with a 760 (unless its in the shop all the time and Id say your chances of that happening is in the 60-70% range):rofl:
i don't personally like the slammed look...to me that takes all the class out of it. i like a little drop just not to have a huge gap, but that's to the extreme

You can do what you want to an LS but it will never drive like a 7 IMO
and if i'm doin all that to make it drive a bimmer, i could just get a bimmer:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
You can do what you want to an LS but it will never drive like a 7 IMO
have you driven a new LS460, its just as fast as a 760 in the 0-60 sprint and almost as fast in the 1/4 mile. i also just read a test in some magazine (motor trend/car and driver) and the LS actually beat the 7 in slalom and several other tests.:eek:

i don't personally like the slammed look...to me that takes all the class out of it. i like a little drop just not to have a huge gap, but that's to the extreme
i agree. that LS is slammed too much for any real world driving. but itheres no denying it looksdamn sexy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.