• Total engine failure

Votes: 2 50.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ATTN: BMW TIMING CHAIN DEFECT

Please call BMW North America @ (800) 831-1117 to report your timing chain failure. They extended to 7 year/75k miles knowing well that most failure will happen after 75k miles. Make sure you talk to talk to the escalation dept., once they tell you that it's outside their warranty period. Defective parts should be recalled, the timing chain defect is a safety concern. My 2013 X3 with 75,700 miles had defective timing chain and killed my engine in Nov, 2019. I lost all power to the vehicle when it happened which is definitely a safety issue. Also file a claim with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration online @ https://www.nhtsa.gov/. Here is the direct link to file a complaint ( https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/). The more complaints and frequency they get from NHTSA, the more likely a recall can happen. Contact any law firm that is handling the class action lawsuit. Let's make BMW NORTH AMERICA responsible and have them stop denying that there is a defect in the timing chain system.

·
Registered
80 Posts
A third caption for those that have experienced no problems could show the magnitude.
Agree.

I just sold my 2013 X3 28i but will be watching the BMW forums to see how things progress here. More and more of these models will be hitting the 70k+ mile mark and I'm curious to see feedback from other owners on issues, and how BMW handles them. I never had an issue; I shut my Auto Start/Stop off and I changed the oil every 5-6k religiously.

I will say also, there have been countless examples of owners ending up with full engine replacements being needed, but them also admitting that they kept driving even after seeing the critical warnings on their dash about no oil pressure. I feel like in many of these situations the initial timing chain guide breakage causes shrapnel to drop down onto the oil pump drive gear, jamming it or causing it to lose traction on the chain and prevent oil from getting to critical parts of the engine, but the chain still stays on the crank and cam gears, allowing the engine to continue running. And if the engine is shut down immediately when it loses oil pressure, it seems like many full engine replacements could be avoided.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yes, you need a third option. Really think a poll is not the right option here, unless you can have numeric options for mileage. Just have the owners report what happened, the repair and mileage or no incident at all. Also, options for data:

1) Engine failure
2) Repair/Retrofit
3) Mileage at failure/retrofit
4) Was start/stop on?
5) Oil change frequency

Mine:
1) No
2) Yes
3) 75k mi
4) Start/stop was on during the first 75k mi. I have it now turned off since the retrofit.
5) Every 7.5k mi.

Whining started around 75k mi. Knew this was the precursor to timing chain failure. Took it into my indi and they agreed it was the TC was failing. Brought in the extended warranty co to approve the retrofit. Extended warranty approved the retrofit.

$2500 bill to the warranty company

The other problem you have here is this forum is biased towards owners having problems. There are really only two reasons IMO to be here: need opinions on purchase or options and you are having an issue and are seeking help. The vast majority of the owners never come here and are blissfully ignorant of the problems many owners are having. I also think we're biased here to second or after owners. Those owners that lease or turn the car over every 3 years wouldn't dream of being here. It's the second and after owners that are here, those with the higher mileage vehicles where owners intend to keep the vehicle to beyond 100k mi.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ATTN: BMW TIMING CHAIN DEFECT

Please call BMW North America @ (800) 831-1117 to report your timing chain failure. They extended to 7 year/75k miles knowing well that most failure will happen after 75k miles. Make sure you talk to talk to the escalation dept., once they tell you that it's outside their warranty period. Defective parts should be recalled, the timing chain defect is a safety concern. My 2013 X3 with 75,700 miles had defective timing chain and killed my engine in Nov, 2019. I lost all power to the vehicle when it happened which is definitely a safety issue. Also file a claim with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration online @ Home | NHTSA. Here is the direct link to file a complaint ( Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA). The more complaints and frequency they get from NHTSA, the more likely a recall can happen. Contact any law firm that is handling the class action lawsuit. Let's make BMW NORTH AMERICA responsible and have them stop denying that there is a defect in the timing chain system.
OP,

I had the same issue with my 2013 X3. I reached out to BMW NA and tried to work with the local dealership. Neither one of them were very helpful.
Are you aware of the 3 other NHTSA notices regarding the N20 engine?
  • engine oil feed line to the turbocharger
  • fuel tank leak
-coolant thermostat

I am all for writing to whomever to get this addressed....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.