BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
It's a prototype built by Alpina which won the Shell Kilometer Marathon ( a fuel-saving contest) in 1981. (2,672 Liter in 100 km) :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
I hope Bangle doesn't see this. God knows what kind of bright idea he'd come up with.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
nate328Ci said:

WTF is this? :tsk: [/B][/QUOTE]

Ponocio, however you spell that guy who told all the lies and his nose grew.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Zaphod said:
I hope Bangle doesn't see this. God knows what kind of bright idea he'd come up with.
Don't worry, Bangle doesn't need such pictures, he and his girlfriend Honkydonk are perv enough in mind already :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
nate328Ci said:
I wonder if you posted a pic of that spoiler alone how many flames it would get as being "ricey". I have a feeling quite a few.

Which brings me to a small rant. THe E65 takes a beating regularly here - some warrented some not. We all have opinions on the design of the E65, if we didn't how could we call ourselves BMW enthusiasts? I wonder how many of the people that have mercilessly bashed the E65 have actually driven it? We need to look at the whole picture.

Say what you want about syling both interior and exterior, IMO a BMW is about performance. I will reserve my final evaluation until the Komen event where I will drive one.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
ALPINA BOY IS HERE!!!

And I guess AlexB explained the purpose of the protruded nose. ALPINA will never sell a car like this.... :D It's about aerodynamic optimization. Btw, ALPINA spoilers for E46 improves Cd for sedans from 0.31 to 0.29. :)

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Zaphod said:

I wonder if you posted a pic of that spoiler alone how many flames it would get as being "ricey". I have a feeling quite a few.

You have to understand that M1 is a race car....it needs and uses that wing. That's not a street car...the imports are copying that look.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I agree - the point I was trying to make was there are many people here that are quick to judge without all of the facts on hand.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
nate328Ci said:
The only thing out of place on this M1, to me is the paint scheme.
(and that's just personel taste)

I would love to get behind the wheel of one of those (no matter what the paint looks like:) ) Heck, it could be bare metal:D and still be fast:thumb:

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
It's a prototype built by Alpina which won the Shell Kilometer Marathon ( a fuel-saving contest) in 1981. (2,672 Liter in 100 km) :)
Alex: can you find (from anywhere) info about what is the world record distance set on only 1 liter of fuel?

I read somewhere that it was set in 1981 at the Weissach test track (Porsche) by a Volkswagen, driven by Keke Rosberg. The distance was something insane - like 1,300km.

And the car in question was very strange looking ...

I have looked but can't find anything about this. :(

Patrick

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Kaz and I spotted one of these on Pacific Coast Highway earlier this year. :)

DougDogs said:

The only thing out of place on this M1, to me is the paint scheme.
(and that's just personel taste)

I would love to get behind the wheel of one of those (no matter what the paint looks like:) ) Heck, it could be bare metal:D and still be fast:thumb:

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
VinceTopasBlau3 said:
0r 166mph. :p

Btw Alex, the B3 does not have a speed limiter right?

AFAIK, no it doesn't have a limiter. Burkhard is not a friend of limiters, I've heard :D

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
@Patrick

I think that record is already broken.

Take a look at this. The fuel efficiency record for a 'car' is 10,000 miles per gallon :D

record

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
@Patrick

I think that record is already broken.

Take a look at this. The fuel efficiency record for a 'car' is 10,000 miles per gallon :D

record
Thanks! Keke's VW also looked a little like that slant-nose E21 Alpina built for the same purpose.

I would like to see my OBC say something like 0.35 liters/100km some day!

Patrick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts