BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
My cousin just got an 07 a4 2.0t 6sp sline titanium package about a month ago. I knew audi was nice but after driving and sitting I understand how nice it really is. In my honest opinion its what you want. Are you mod friendly? If so you get a downpipe and an apr flash and you are feeling good with a nice clutch/stick. Then suspension if you want to just graze it throw an rs4 rear sway which is 22mm and you can be done or you can get coilovers/etc. If you want the "hey i have a bmw" feel get the bimmer. In my honest opinion if i was shopping an a4 opted that way and a 328 loaded for exclusivity I would get the audi. I also like the audi in this case just a little bit more. Plus it has a turbo(ko3) the 328 def dont have that lol. Good luck with your decision.
you make it sound like it's a war among "hey i have a bmw", "o wait but i drive a lexus", and "shut up i got turbo sucker".

·
The Jesal
309 Posts
I had a 04 A4, great car but will never own another vibrating 4banger again. Granted the 2.0t is very smooth but still, the Inline6 in the 328 is better.

Go with the BMW.

·
Registered
58 Posts
you make it sound like it's a war among "hey i have a bmw", "o wait but i drive a lexus", and "shut up i got turbo sucker".
No I would rather have a 4 with a turbo then a 3.2 any day of the week. It's just more fun to drive on that particular car. And I drive nothing now!

·
Registered
499 Posts
They changed that for most of the 07 models, you could buy a maint package but it wasn't as comprehensive as the BMW or the older Audi ones.

Nik
Not according to the Audi sales rep I spoke with a few weeks ago. Said the plan covered everything for the first 4 yrs/50K miles, same as BMW. Price was around $500. Difference is that Audi splits it out, rather than incorporating the cost into the price of the car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not according to the Audi sales rep I spoke with a few weeks ago. Said the plan covered everything for the first 4 yrs/50K miles, same as BMW. Price was around $500. Difference is that Audi splits it out, rather than incorporating the cost into the price of the car.
Yup, my cousin pays i think 8$ extra a month for it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
First time poster here and you guys have a great forum. So I'm trying to decide between an Audi A4 and a BMW 3 Series right now and am wondering what your thoughts are about the pros and cons of each car. I know this is a BMW forum so there will be some natural bias, but that's cool. I have plenty of Audi/VW enthusiasts yapping in my ears about the A4 since I currently drive a VW. Is there anything about the Audi that you wish you had on your bimmer? So far what I've gathered is:

1. Driving dynamics and handling - BMW
2. Refinement and looks - Audi
3. Price - Audi
4. Quattro > xdrive, so I hear (but mostly from VAG folks).

What's been your experience with BMW dealer service?

Thanks
Owned an '01 1.8T A4 quattro for years (first owner), then bought my 325xi. In short, this is what I feel: I loved the A4, and I love driving the 325. Bimmer is more fun to drive. About refinement and looks, the interior of Audi was really nice, but refinement, I don't know. Granted I am comparing a '06 vs an '01 car, still BMW looks more refined to me overall. The pedal feels for instance, very refined, the engine is refined, steering is refined, etc. The clutch of bimmer holds much better than the A4 as well. About quattro > xdrive, again I don't know, if that is the case why I hear news that Audi will be leaning towards a 40/60 front/rear power bias like xDrive does in the future? Quattro's advantage is it is a mechanical system, xdrive is a combination of electronics and mechanics.

What I miss from A4 is the auto climate control logic that used to really work, set the temperature and forget it, with bimmer I need to do adjustments. And the bigger LCD panel on the instrument panel that used to show which cd playing etc.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Hey all,

I don't own, nor have I ever owned, an Audi or BMW. I've driven both, and I consider myself an "outsider" to this topic, though I joined the BMWCCA and plan on buying a BMW.

I think the Audi is the better car for those with less emphasis on driving enjoyment. I.e. If you don't put a 50/50 weight distribution as very important, if you intend to get an automatic, if you are more concerned about all-weather capability, if you prefer to feel more "ensconced" within your car than in touch with the road, if you know what the word "haptic" means and want to apply it liberally to your car, if you like saying "ingolstadt" more than "munich"...

then the audi is the car for you.

But then again, I'm someone who doesn't believe a 3-series should be bought with all wheel drive unless you live in the northernmost states where you need serious traction with snow tires.

The Audi is a great car, but it is quite hefty and feels huge from the driver's seat. It's turbo four is pretty darn advanced and offers alot of tuning potential...if you feel the A4 is a good tuning platform...and anyone who feels it's a thrashy 4-cylinder needs to have their head examined. It's also fairly economical. But in the Quattro Audi it is not exciting at all. It's the equivalent of the TSX engine....sure, it can provide fair acceleration, but it doesn't get your pulse to quicken.

After that, you've got the legendary Audi reliability (cough) and renowned dealership service....

That's my feedback on the Audi :)

Why do you want AWD anyway?

Joe

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
First time poster here and you guys have a great forum. So I'm trying to decide between an Audi A4 and a BMW 3 Series right now and am wondering what your thoughts are about the pros and cons of each car. I know this is a BMW forum so there will be some natural bias, but that's cool. I have plenty of Audi/VW enthusiasts yapping in my ears about the A4 since I currently drive a VW. Is there anything about the Audi that you wish you had on your bimmer? So far what I've gathered is:

1. Driving dynamics and handling - BMW
2. Refinement and looks - Audi
3. Price - Audi
4. Quattro > xdrive, so I hear (but mostly from VAG folks).

What's been your experience with BMW dealer service?

Thanks
OK, I traded my '06 passat 3.6v6, sport package for my 335i sport pack. I've driven a3, a4, a6, a8 audis on rental for 1-2 days each.

1) the newer quattros do not feel like FWD, the 2.0T is plenty of motor, especially in the A3 wDSG or manual. The 2.0T with either of those is a fun engine, with more low end than the 328, a little less ultimate power.

2) Audis tiptronics are crap, same tranny as my passat(aisin), a pos. Hesitaint and balky, I HATE them. The manuals are nice, but not quite as nice as the BMW manual. The DSG is sublime, but only available in the a3(transverse mounted application only). The A3 is a real hoot to drive, the best audi driving dymanics. I try to rent one every time now. With the sline pack its a real corner carver.

3) the BMW I6 is one of the most refined engines on the planet, as good as the 2.0T is, it just doesnt measure up to the N52 for smoothness, not much does.

4) Bmw steering feel is the best, audi is very good in the a3,a4 with sport package, but BMW rules this aspect over any sedan I have driven.

5) audis have nicer interiors, yup.

6) the a4 quattro is plenty quick, probably quicker than the 328xi (by a narrow margin) in the real world. the 2.0T has 200 ft lb at 1900rpm, there is more torque available down low, but the engine is less satisfying to wind out than the N52. Dynos also indicate the 2.0T is underrated, its pulling 195 whp on the dyno, typically, and it can be chipped to 225 whp(270 crank?) for like 600-800 bucks(?). For modding, the 2.0T wins that comparison, chipped motors are also getting 260 ft lb at the wheels!

7) quattro is like a cat in snow, rain, unbelievable.

By the way an AWD(haldex drive, not torsen) 3.6L passat(280hp, 265 ft [email protected]) could be had well below list, cheaper than an a4 quattro by a few grand. The 3.6 vw motor is a very nice motor, kicks sand in the face of the audi 3.2 big time, and makes great sounds doing it while weighing 40 lb less. I like it better than the infinity 3.5 V6, much better powerspread, better engine sounds due to the 12:1 compression ratio(direct injected motor). Its a pity its only available in VW touregs and porsche cayennes, as its the best V6 in the vw/audi group. The passat doesnt handle as well as the a3, a4, and especially the 328, I would drive whatever you like and compare it to the 328.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have an '06 GLI with the 2.0T engine, and recently test drove an A4 while my car was in service. I've also driven the E90 325i and 335i in recent memory.

The 2.0T engine is excellent for a 4 cylinder turbo. My GLI definitely "feels" faster than the E90 325, though this may be due to the DSG transmission (why I bought the GLI over the A4 in the first place). The 2.0T/DSG combo is so good that I missed it when I was driving the 325 for a couple days. Of course, the A4 has a slushbox, so you do lose some of that, but not TOO much.

One thing about the Audi is that the steering feels very light, lighter than my GLI and MUCH lighter than the BMW, which makes it feel less precise than the BMW. The BMW also has a very balanced feel that the Audi and VW don't have. The handling is definitely better.

I think the A4 is better looking and has a better interior than the 3 series. The A4 is also a lot cheaper to lease, if that's what you're doing.

If it were me, I'd probably get a 328, because I like the way it feels. If we were talking about the 335 vs. A4, though, I'd definitely go for the BMW.

By the way, despite the boy-racer looks, I've never been "challenged" in my GLI. The '07s have launch control on the DSG, though, so if that's what you're into I don't think you'd have any problems.

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
I currently drive an A4 3.2. I purchased the car after getting fed up with my unpredictable 330xi (long story, but it often would not start in the morning without a jump and after taking it in a dozen times or so, I decided to unload it).

I have missed driving the BMW every day since I got the Audi. The Audi may have a nicer interior and a nicer nav screen (IMO), but it is not fun to drive at all.

As you can see, I'm going back to BMW. I'm hoping that I get hooked up with a more dependable one this time around :)
Great post - and I know the feeling.

I replaced a 330i with a G35 three years ago. The G35 was flawlessly reliable, but it had zero emotional appeal. My new 335i has refinement, passion, and a personality.

I really like the A4, but the 3-Series is more of a driver's car.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
FWIW - I believe the Jetta GLI DSG is a mid 7 second 0-60 car, the A4 is more around 8 seconds, and the 328 6-spd is around 6-6.2 (according to BMW)...

The BMW really is the faster car...but the miniscule amount of turbo lag in the 2.0T makes the acceleration FEEL stronger. The BMW 3.0 is so smooth that it just winds up without drama and feels only modestly fast.

Hence why the 335 is such a hit; all the smoothness, and some good solid dramatic acceleration :)

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
FWIW - I believe the Jetta GLI DSG is a mid 7 second 0-60 car, the A4 is more around 8 seconds, and the 328 6-spd is around 6-6.2 (according to BMW)...

The BMW really is the faster car...but the miniscule amount of turbo lag in the 2.0T makes the acceleration FEEL stronger. The BMW 3.0 is so smooth that it just winds up without drama and feels only modestly fast.

Hence why the 335 is such a hit; all the smoothness, and some good solid dramatic acceleration :)
For comparison, Audi lists the A4 (2.0, Quattro, Automatic) @ 0-60 in 7.5sec, BMW lists the 328xi sedan (Automatic) @ 0-60 in 7.1. The 328xi coupe is .1 sec quicker.

Very close, but the powerband makes all the difference for some people. Numbers might not matter, its how the car drives.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Blue C -

Great point. I would add that, in my estimation, 0-60 numbers for AWD cars are less indicative of real-world feel....i.e. just because a car can launch 0-30 in 2 seconds doesn't mean it feels fast doing 10-60...

I.e. my old Saab 9-2x Aero (WRX wagon) could do 0-60 in ~6 seconds....but it was a dog in day-to-day below 3500 rpms and above 6000 rpms. It's 5-60 time was more like high 7 seconds.

I'm willing to bet that both the 328xi auto and Audi A4 quattro auto feel like dogs compared to their 2-wheel drive manual counterparts - the 328i (6-spd) and A3 2.0T 6-spd or DSG

There is so much oomph lost in those extra drivetrain bits....that's what made me convert to 2wd only....the extra 10% power loss isn't worth it to me.

Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was between both cars and reserched over the last 2 months- A4 2.0T & 328i. I went with the 328i last week- better residual and MF currently, so more car for the same payment. You can't go wrong with either car as they are both great-all personal preference in the end. I have owned 2 Audis-A4 1.8T, TT and now 2 BMW's-318i, 328i.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Audis use Automatic/Tiptronic transmissions from ZF, the A4, A6 and A8 do NOT use Aisin. And you are right the Aisin trannys are crap!

Cheers,

Chuck
My bad, I just assumed it was the same tranny as in the 2.0T/3.6L passat because it is a very balky tranny, lots of hesitation. The difference between the a4 tip and the a3 DSG is incredible. I wouldnt buy an A4 tip, dont recommend it. Frankly, I hated my passat tranny, it was my biggest beef with the car, and the a4 tip drives just like it. I much prefer even the step in the 06 325i.

·
Registered
228 Posts

I think the GLI is ~7.2, which is exactly the claimed 0-60 time for the E90 325 auto. I think the difference in feel I experienced was probably due to the DSG more than anything, which is an amazing transmission. The 328 will obviously be faster, and the A4 will be slower due to its tiptronic transmission and Quattro system.

I heard there's a hidden $3K dealer rebate on the A4 right now, which would make leasing attractive despite the poor residual. The MF is excellent (under 0.001).

As I said before, though, I would get the 328.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

I've seen the A4 quattro manual tested at C/D in 6.5 sec 0-60, its was a comparo with the 325xi(was tested as slower than the a4, 7 sec flat?) and a few other AWD vehicles. The A3/DSG has tested at as low as 6.0 sec with the launch feature. The 328i has tested at 6.2 sec with the manual. With AWD/auto, I expect its a wash with a4 quattro/328xi at the strip, the a4 will have a wider powerband, more low end. But the behavior of the superb N52 I6/balanced chassis at the same price, so much more refined, its just a better motor/chassis combo, unless you want to hop up your car.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My bad, I just assumed it was the same tranny as in the 2.0T/3.6L passat because it is a very balky tranny, lots of hesitation. The difference between the a4 tip and the a3 DSG is incredible. I wouldnt buy an A4 tip, dont recommend it. Frankly, I hated my passat tranny, it was my biggest beef with the car, and the a4 tip drives just like it. I much prefer even the step in the 06 325i.
No problem, I had a Passat W8 with ZF Tiptronic and could not stand it. It shifted hard, lagged on shifts and at the end of the day was an automatic. The DSG is great, light years better than the ZF Tiptronic. I am still a Manual transmission kind of guy, so I am pretty happy with the A4 I have though. I am driving the 2.0T sweet engine, but my 3.2L A4 Avant is schedule to arrive at the dealer next week.

I was considering the 328XiT (Wagon), but hate to get a car that does have a dipstick. Very nice car to drive, but I have concerns about long-term ownership.

Cheers,

Chuck

21 - 40 of 40 Posts