BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove an Audi A6 yesterday and could not have been more disappointed. I didn't think the cart felt as well-constrcuted as the 5-series and the interior seemed much cheaper (it did have aluminum not wood so maybe that was it). Pop up nav seemed like an aftermarket add-on... I asked for a quick lease quote... almost 1000 a month. I'm going with the 550 (or a 740 or 750h) if I can work out a good lease deal.

Just thought I'd put my two cents in for those looking at both.

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
I test drove an Audi A6 yesterday and could not have been more disappointed. I didn't think the cart felt as well-constrcuted as the 5-series and the interior seemed much cheaper (it did have aluminum not wood so maybe that was it). Pop up nav seemed like an aftermarket add-on... I asked for a quick lease quote... almost 1000 a month. I'm going with the 550 (or a 740 or 750h) if I can work out a good lease deal.

Just thought I'd put my two cents in for those looking at both.
How about the drive? Didn't you like it?
Did you misspell car as cart is it intentional to show your disappointment :)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I think you have to take all car reviews with a grain of salt. They are good for descriptions about content and general info, but it's only half the story. I think the C7 3.0T is a really nice car, and ultimately it comes down to personal preference and taste.

·
1oz perception-1# obscure
3,618 Posts
I'd agree that Audi interiors, while designed aesthetically at least as well as BMWs, are built with slightly lower quality materials. And the suspension airbag disaster we had with our 2004 allroad has scared me off of Audis, perhaps deservedly perhaps not. Still, the A6 seems like a very nice car to me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The drive was okay but reminded me of my 97 Maxima. Thats probably an overstatement but it did not feel well-engineered as the 535/550/750. And no, I did not mean to write "cart" but that made me laugh when I realized I did.

·
Captain Mike
9 Posts
I tested a loaded A6 and liked it a lot. It was fast enough, looked and felt great, even cornered very well with the sport package. I didn't consider the 2.0T, but thought the 3 supercharged was great. In the end I bought a 535i xdrive. I've had three Audi's and now have my fourth BMW. Both brands are great cars. I'm having a little buyers remorse, not about the motor or the brand, but about the run flat tires with no spare. Ive read all about the tires and I knew what I was getting into. Now I'm getting ready for a 1000+ mile trip where time and night driving will be required. I know the RF tires will get me 100 miles further if there is a failure but that's of little consolation when I'm in West Texas, New Mexico or Arizona at midnight. I'm about to buy a spare tire and a jack just to feel good, but here's my real gripe, "I didn't get a choice". Without a choice, my trunk will be fuller and less "classy" than a BMW should be. The A6 gave me a choice. I'm loving the 535, but without a choice in the future (and no acceptable retro fit option) my next car choice might start higher in the alphabet.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe I wasnt in the right mood when I drove it, I just didnt feel that "solid" feel that the BMW evokes ... also, I headed to the BMW dealership afterwards and drove a 750. Just settled on the 750AH... lease will be cheaper than the 535 and 550 I was looking at with the incentives! I just have to wait for a production date and delivery date in March.

·
Sleeper Wagon
729 Posts
Now I'm getting ready for a 1000+ mile trip where time and night driving will be required. I know the RF tires will get me 100 miles further if there is a failure but that's of little consolation when I'm in West Texas, New Mexico or Arizona at midnight. I'm about to buy a spare tire and a jack just to feel good, but here's my real gripe, "I didn't get a choice".
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thought you might be interested in this just announced at Bimmerzone:

BMW 5 Series F10 Emergency Space Saver Spare Tire Kit

SKU: BIM-SST-F10-KIT

Your Price: $284.95

Add 4 new high performance (non run flat tires) for another $1000 - and you should be a new man:D

And runflats don't guarantee 100 miles...

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
I'd agree that Audi interiors, while designed aesthetically at least as well as BMWs, are built with slightly lower quality materials. And the suspension airbag disaster we had with our 2004 allroad has scared me off of Audis, perhaps deservedly perhaps not. Still, the A6 seems like a very nice car to me.
LOL, what are you talking about?

The A4's interior is head and shoulders above the 3er
The Q5's is better than X3
The Q7's is much much better than the X5
The A8's interior embarrasses everything in its class

·
Registered
314 Posts
im with you capt mike.
problem with run flats,too few shops have the tires and or equipment to provide the service.
you can easily be stuck,or at least have the concern of being stuck.
the perception is often worse then the reality.
all we seek is peace of mind.when you drop big bucks it should be a given.instead we were given uncertainty.totally unacceptable.

while reading up on the subject i came across this website.it goes back 4 years to october ,2007.
a mere 177 bmw owners favored run flats,while an overwhelming 1172 rejected them.this ongoing problem is more then four years old.bmw is well aware.yet they choose to do what they prefer instead of what their buyers prefer.at the very least there should have been a choice or an option.there isnt.thats bad business.bmw blew it,it will cost them.

http://www.bmwrunflattire.com/

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
LOL, what are you talking about?

The A4's interior is head and shoulders above the 3er
The Q5's is better than X3
The Q7's is much much better than the X5
Yes
Yes
No way. Q7 interior is old and embarrassing.
The best, only slightly.

The F10 materials are notably nicer than A6. A6 design a bit flashier.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I cannot believe anyone would say BMW interiors are better than Audi. No way. Audi interior swtiches, gear shifts, wood, etc are much superior and last longer than BMW. It took BMW 5-10 years to get up to the same level as Audi and still fall short a bit. Audi will always win the interior quality and looks award. My Audi 2006 Audi A8L interior is much better quality and look then the current 7 series interior.

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
Actually, I think the A8 is embarassing when compared to any other car in its class. From its horrific pop-up Nav to its oversized putter of a shift lever - I just don't like it. :rolleyes:

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
The drive was okay but reminded me of my 97 Maxima. Thats probably an overstatement but it did not feel well-engineered as the 535/550/750. And no, I did not mean to write "cart" but that made me laugh when I realized I did.
That Maxima had such a crappy rear suspension, are you saying the Audi felt (and sounded) like that? :dunno:

·
7,121 Posts
I cannot believe anyone would say BMW interiors are better than Audi. No way. Audi interior swtiches, gear shifts, wood, etc are much superior and last longer than BMW. It took BMW 5-10 years to get up to the same level as Audi and still fall short a bit. Audi will always win the interior quality and looks award. My Audi 2006 Audi A8L interior is much better quality and look then the current 7 series interior.
Your opinion. Not shared by all.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Actually, I think the A8 is embarassing when compared to any other car in its class. From its horrific pop-up Nav to its oversized putter of a shift lever - I just don't like it. :rolleyes:
I guess if you want looks, then some people might think the A8's interior is ugly, but the fit and finish, no one matches it. Everything feels super expensive (Well, it actually is) and exclusive. Much more special place than the 7

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its been 5 years since I got rid of the Maxima but the cars reminded me of each other. No doubt, the Audi is a better car but (IMO) the Audi A6 is not on the same quality level as the F10.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I test drove Audi a6 i am no expert but drive feel in Audi wasn't even a comparison to BMW after the drive i knew right away BMW it is. nav screen is small and pop up not much impressed with interior either. i agree with op

·
7,121 Posts
I've actually owned both the X5 and Q7. The Q7 has a higher quality interior by miles
Good for you. Glad you feel that way. Don't agree in the slightest.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.