BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was thinking of adding a new car to my line up in the driveway since I'm probably giving my 325 to my mother as a gift... Sad to see it go but her needs come before any of my cars do, and the car she drives just isn't getting the job done for her. But, atleast It's staying in the family and I can go drive it whenever i'm in need of some good E36 action. Anyways, moving on to the situation at hand, I still do need a car that doesn't go through a tank of gas every min so... I've been looking at a 2000 Audi TT quatro turbo. It's in great shape. However, I have never driven one. Has anyone here driven both the 540 and the TT? I just want to know anyone's opinion on it and if anyone has any comments on it's performance. Just compared to the 540. I know it's apples to oranges but Throwing car class out. I just want performance campared... Not size or practically. thanks guys...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone?

·
Need a Toyota?
2,563 Posts
Hey guys, I was thinking of adding a new car to my line up in the driveway since I'm probably giving my 325 to my mother as a gift... Sad to see it go but her needs come before any of my cars do, and the car she drives just isn't getting the job done for her. But, atleast It's staying in the family and I can go drive it whenever i'm in need of some good E36 action. Anyways, moving on to the situation at hand, I still do need a car that doesn't go through a tank of gas every min so... I've been looking at a 2000 Audi TT quatro turbo. It's in great shape. However, I have never driven one. Has anyone here driven both the 540 and the TT? I just want to know anyone's opinion on it and if anyone has any comments on it's performance. Just compared to the 540. I know it's apples to oranges but Throwing car class out. I just want performance campared... Not size or practically. thanks guys...
Totally different cars. Audi TT is def not my first choice, it's very tight inside. The TT drives very well, and the turbo quattro is lots of fun, but the maintenance on those engines includes swapping the turbos every 60-80K miles.

540 is a much larger car that doesn't handle as well stock, but is a more versatile car if you ever have more than 2 people in the car or luggage.

Oops, just saw that you don't care about size or practicallity. Does that include the turbo swaps?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You actually have to swap turbos in it that soon? What's the price on that? Excuse my ignorance. I honestly didn't know that you have to replace turbos... And especially that soon. How much would that run?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And yeah, the reason I don't care about size or practicality is because I'm not getting rid of the 540. I just want a car that is fun to drive around town without making me want to dive off of a sky scraper every time I have to put gas into it. So if I go on a trip with numerous people or need luggage space I would just take the 540. I just need a second car to drive around town since I'm giving my 3 series to my mother.

·
Need a Toyota?
2,563 Posts
Depends on the motor /year. The 1.8 Turbo motor isn't bad, basically the same motor that's in the VW GTI. Turbos run around $700 for parts, and if you're mechanically inclined, it's possible to do the labor (at least on the VWs). I don't know much about the newer 2.0 Turbo motors that came out in 2007.

Oh yeah, timing belts and water pumps are required maintenance on the higher mileage (over 70K miles)

Not worse than other cars, but if looking at a higher mileage 1.8T motor, make sure that they have been replaced and more importantly that the car has recieved regular oil changes as it's critical on turbo'd motors.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Combined Mileage for Selected 'Fun' Cars (not sure if mileage is performance or practicality - maybe both)

Honda Fit real world 30 MPG http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/.ee969e7

Audi TT variously reported as 23 - 28 MPG combined http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/16466.shtml

BMW 540 A somewhere around 15 - 18 MPG in real life. http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1997-to-2003-bmw-5-series-6.htm

If you estimate annual mileage at 10,000 and gasoline costs $4.00 a gallon AND an Audi TT saves you 10 MPG your annual savings come to $1,000 for fuel costs. $1500 or $25 a week for the Honda Fit.

·
Coole Russen
1,304 Posts
Totally different cars. Audi TT is def not my first choice, it's very tight inside. The TT drives very well, and the turbo quattro is lots of fun, but the maintenance on those engines includes swapping the turbos every 60-80K miles.

540 is a much larger car that doesn't handle as well stock, but is a more versatile car if you ever have more than 2 people in the car or luggage.

Oops, just saw that you don't care about size or practicallity. Does that include the turbo swaps?
Complete bullsh*t about changing turbos every 60k miles. Where did you get it from? Its like saying replacing time chain on 540's every 90k miles.

·
Registered
179 Posts
an ex girlfriend had one. It was fun to drive. Terrible blind spots. Changing lanes on the freeway in heavy traffic wasn't fun. With the top down one blind spot goes away and 2 more blind spots pop up. It was better built than my WRX but I enjoyed the WRX much better.

·
Need a Toyota?
2,563 Posts
Complete bullsh*t about changing turbos every 60k miles. Where did you get it from? Its like saying replacing time chain on 540's every 90k miles.
I've replaced about 4 or 5 of them in the past year... That's where I get my info. I sell a bunch of VWs and Audis at my dealership, and I regularly see the turbos and water pumps fail in the 1.8T motors. Like I said, not a big deal, but something to be aware of. Of course you'll probably respond with a story about a friend who has a 1.8T that has 1,000,000 miles on it without any problems.

Anyway, the OP asked for info and I gave it based on personal experience, not reports from others.

·
Need a Toyota?
2,563 Posts
Combined Mileage for Selected 'Fun' Cars (not sure if mileage is performance or practicality - maybe both)

Honda Fit real world 30 MPG http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/.ee969e7

Audi TT variously reported as 23 - 28 MPG combined http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/16466.shtml

BMW 540 A somewhere around 15 - 18 MPG in real life. http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1997-to-2003-bmw-5-series-6.htm

If you estimate annual mileage at 10,000 and gasoline costs $4.00 a gallon AND an Audi TT saves you 10 MPG your annual savings come to $1,000 for fuel costs. $1500 or $25 a week for the Honda Fit.
I get around 24-25MPG in my 540, but my drive is mostly freeway.

·
Need a Toyota?
2,563 Posts
It's critical on any kind of engine not only turbo'd.
True that it's important to change oil on any car, but Turbo'd cars are much more sensitive to long changes to oil as the turbo requires better lubrication due to the high rpms that the turbo spins at, as well as using the oil to cool the turbo.

Here's some links on the 1.8T
http://audi.tribe.net/thread/628613c0-188c-45f0-8097-509bcbceaa5b

Also, if oil changes aren't so critical on the VW 1.8T motor, why was there a class action lawsuit against VW due to coking of the motor due to not changing oil often enough with synthetic oil?
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040904/news_lz1d4sludge.html

·
Coole Russen
1,304 Posts
I've replaced about 4 or 5 of them in the past year... That's where I get my info. I sell a bunch of VWs and Audis at my dealership, and I regularly see the turbos and water pumps fail in the 1.8T motors. Like I said, not a big deal, but something to be aware of. Of course you'll probably respond with a story about a friend who has a 1.8T that has 1,000,000 miles on it without any problems.

Anyway, the OP asked for info and I gave it based on personal experience, not reports from others.
No I won't. I was just making sure you're not blowing smoke my friend ;)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys for all of the info. I appreciate it.

·
<-NIKi
1,875 Posts
I was never a fan untill I drove one. I absolutely love how TT's drive. The turbo sounds and feels great. Also the handling is really good. I considered buying it but I just didn't like a lot of the styling. Also, it is SO cramped (and I'm a small person).

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I get around 24-25MPG in my 540, but my drive is mostly freeway.
Yeah, most of my driving consists of slow moving bumper to bumper traffic. My 540 does pretty well on the interstate but around town in all of the stop and go traffic it gets only about 13-15 mpg :thumbdwn: So when I'm pumping gas I sometimes feel like just drinking it so I don't have to worry about these damn prices anymore :rofl: I'm obviously just kidding but still, You all get my point.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was never a fan untill I drove one. I absolutely love how TT's drive. The turbo sounds and feels great. Also the handling is really good. I considered buying it but I just didn't like a lot of the styling. Also, it is SO cramped (and I'm a small person).
That's really the only thing that I kind of worry about is the size... considering I'm 6'3 but I'm not really that concerned. I can make do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm fortunately in a good position to answer your question, as i have both. A TT 3.2 V6 and a 1998 540i.

If i had to pick 1 i'd pick the TT everytime as its a lot more versitile than the 540. Its light enough round town and amazing on the long journeys. It has a healther MPG too. Its not quite as comfortable as the 540 and doesn't have as many toys. The only thing i'm not a fan of on the TT is the fact it is mainly a FWD, the quattro system only puts drive to the rear wheels when front traction is lost. Needless to say it is a very very fun/fast car that can be driven sensibly where as the 540 (imo) is a sensible car that can be driven for fun (fuel permiting). The Problem I here in the uk fuel is around £5($10) a gallon!

I don't think there is much performance difference in the 3.2 V6 and the 2.0 Turbo TTs. Maybe an option for you to look at if your worried about turbo issues at a later date. Also the power that the 3.2 V6 puts out isn't that much more than the 540i

Hope this helps you make a decision

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts

bet you none of the ones you had to replae has a turbo timer installed.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts