BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my car back from the installer on Tuesday. I had them install SAVV headrests with 7" screens. They also finished fiberglassing the trunklid, applying the manufacturers names, replacing the wood that was holding the amps up with Plexi and reinstalling 9" neons under the dash. The only thing left to do is to shield the center channel to eliminate the alternator whine and install a video amplifier for the rear TV's (there is a little noise from signal degradation). Other than that, everything is done.

I am very excited with the end result. I took a ton of pics but these are the best ones.

Finished trunklid . . .

left headrest (PS2) and center TV (playing DVD). . .

closeup of headrest. . .

outside shot (bad reflection on glass). . .

night shot with installed plexi arms for amps. . .

closeup of left amp with plexi arms. . .

Hope you guys like the finished product, I sure do! :D

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
I haven't followed your audio update much, but what about the power supply in the car ? Do you have a high-capacity battery ?

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Hey Ack! Looks great! I don't usually care for neon and in-car video screens, but I think you've done a great job with everything. It looks tasteful and well put together as opposed to some of the rice mobiles out there. I would imagine you should win a few contests with your setup. Hopefully you won't have to rip it all out! :( Good luck with everything else! :thumb:

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alex Baumann said:
I haven't followed your audio update much, but what about the power supply in the car ? Do you have a high-capacity battery ?
Alex - Surprisingly enough, everything is stock. I asked my installer if I needed a capacitor or an additional battery but he said the alternator in the car is more than capable of handling the load. I have had the volume cranked to see if the lights would dim, and they didn't.

I'm not sure what the rating of the alternator is though, anyone here know?

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Will BMWNA make you take out all that cool looking equipment when your lease is up?

:D

Set-up looks great! I especially like the idea of being able to watch TV during my morning commute. Personally, about the only thing that I might've done different (if it were my car) is that I'd have had the roundel on the inside of the trunk lid painted in blue/white.

:)

P.S. Did you ever find an FM amplifier to help with your poor radio reception?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I'm surprised your installer did not add a capacitor to reduce alternator noise in the first place:dunno: :dunno:

That's usually the first thing that is added to high end equipment installations.

Nice set-up, by the way:thumb:

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hts said:
Will BMWNA make you take out all that cool looking equipment when your lease is up?

:D

Set-up looks great! I especially like the idea of being able to watch TV during my morning commute. Personally, about the only thing that I might've done different (if it were my car) is that I'd have had the roundel on the inside of the trunk lid painted in blue/white.

:)

P.S. Did you ever find an FM amplifier to help with your poor radio reception?
Thanks HTS!!:D I actually bought this car, so that will not be an issue. My installer is getting the FM amplifier next week to help with the signal. I like the idea of Blue/White Roundel, I think I can get this spray painted by the shop, I'll check it out.

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
Looks great! Recommend that you don't pump your bass within 1 mile of your home so that others in your neighborhood don't know what you have in your car. You don't want to be advertising you system to car thieves. You also might want to get headrest covers to hide the LCDs.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
JPinTO said:
Looks great! Recommend that you don't pump your bass within 1 mile of your home so that others in your neighborhood don't know what you have in your car. You don't want to be advertising you system to car thieves. You also might want to get headrest covers to hide the LCDs.
gosh... I hope he does not park outside, that would be asking for trouble!:thumbdwn:

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
Nice job

Can you post pictures of the console LCD screen and head unit?

·
-The Mouth-
861 Posts
Let me say to everyone... that I just saw Acks car yesterday and it is amazing. The pictures dont do the install justice. Everything was VERY well thought out and the fit and finsh is perfect . AND we wached a little Fast and the Furious on the screens to boot. Great job Ack!!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I must ask, how much is that cd/dvd in dash unit you have and what make/model is it? Is it touch screen? Did you have to do any mods to install it? Do you need any other outside components to operate it?

Also, out of curiousity, how much are head rest lcd screens?

Thanks!

·
Registered
319 Posts
ACK - great job! I went to a car show (if you could call it that) last weekend in Rochester and they were totally riced out cars. My friend asked me if I had my choice, which one would I take - to which my response was, MINE, sitting stock, in the parking lot. However, if yours was an option, there would be NO question! Truely amazing and tastefully done! Your trim is going to be the icing, without a doubt!

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
SpeedKing9 said:
I must ask, how much is that cd/dvd in dash unit you have and what make/model is it? Is it touch screen? Did you have to do any mods to install it? Do you need any other outside components to operate it?

Also, out of curiousity, how much are head rest lcd screens?

Thanks!
The DVD unit is the Clarion VRX925VD. You should be able to get it for about $1,500.

Here are some links:

$1,429 - Car Stereo Expo

$1,499 - Crazy Eddie - Not in Stock

$1,499 - Savings Lots - Not in Stock

$1,529 - Speed Sound

$1,729 - Sound Good

If you decide to get this unit, you will need the antenna adapter, an wiring kit adapter and a dash kit.

It is touch-screen, it plays MP3's, DVD's, CDR's, CDRW's, etc. It has a separate hide-away control unit that would need to be mounted under the seat or under the sound insulation.

Let me know if you need further info.

Edit: The headrests are from SAAV and were $750/each including install. These replace the stock headrests and come with the 7" screen. You can get them for about $100 cheaper if you opt with the 5.6" screen.

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
325xi-SteelGray said:
ACK - great job! I went to a car show (if you could call it that) last weekend in Rochester and they were totally riced out cars. My friend asked me if I had my choice, which one would I take - to which my response was, MINE, sitting stock, in the parking lot. However, if yours was an option, there would be NO question! Truely amazing and tastefully done! Your trim is going to be the icing, without a doubt!
That is too funny. That is the main reason my install looks the way it does. This way if anyone looked in my car, they wouldn't even know what's hiding in the trunk. All they would see is an aftermarket radio in the dash. Thanks for the compliments! :thumbup:

Let me know if there are any other shows in Roch. I've been trying to find some other shows to enter the car in.

It turns out I'll be in Rochester August 3rd for a wedding. maybe we can get together afterwards. I'll talk to Chris and see if he's free also.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.