BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here and I'm trying to find out what sound system my car has. When I go to settings it only says surround, no L7. The speakers don't say HK or B&O on them. I bought it used. It only says premium Hifi system on the options paper. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My understanding if you have the equalizer then you have the HK mine has that but I also have the surround option so not sure if you say yours does not. Do you have equalizer?

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
In the 2013 model year, BMW did not use HK for their premium sound system. I think BMW went back to HK after the 2013 MY. Personally, I think the pre-HK premium audio sounds better.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sound is subjective and no two tastes are the same.
I cam across this a while back:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505033&highlight=professional+audio&page=5

I use this guys settings. At first, it seemed to be less bassy but I decided to let my ears adjust a few days and I started to like it. The midrange punch is very good. I have good ears and a bit of an audiophilet at 55 years old, I don't listen at high volume as I used to, or slam my car to Rap, I can't say its for everyone. I did decide to go back to using the "surround" setting.

We tend to over equalize settings as most people "I like bass, so more is better", but then it starts to get a bit muddy so they turn up the higher frequency and create the typical "Rock" curve many use. This creates fatigue and most start to add instead of taking away to reduce it.
This is why at first glace if you try this setting, it on the surface looks silly. I tried it and was really surprised that after few days I really liked it. I recommend you leave it for a few days. I find I can keep it on higher volume when I have people in the car and not have to talk over each other.

TO me, the system is very good but if your " I like to feel the music" then you might be a bit disappointed in the bass. The woofers are really mid-woofers and I'll guess are not going below 40hz if that.

IN a few years I might upgrade them with some BSW Ghost drivers which fit in the same place. Im waiting on more reviews and perhaps a price break. They won't solve for those that want a far greater output.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Logic 7 (pre 2014) and HK (2014+) are the same system. HK licensed the Logic 7 software to BMW, then in 2014 they decided to use HK branding in the system.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Logic 7 (pre 2014) and HK (2014+) are the same system. HK licensed the Logic 7 software to BMW, then in 2014 they decided to use HK branding in the system.
Having owned a pre-LCI and LCI with upgrade sound, I can tell you that they are not the same system. The pre-LCI has more punch to it when I crank it up.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Its been discussed many times across the various BMW series. Same components, different branding. They may have made EQ changes that gives a slightly different sound signature, however.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts