BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what a comfortable number of miles of driving per day would be on Alpin roads? I am going with my Dad in mid-September to pick-up a 335 cab and while I know we could do 4-500 miles a day in the US, what is reasonable in the Alps, with stops for pictures, meals, etc. (mostly driving and no museum kind of stops). One itinerary we're considering is

Wed Pick up car around noon and spend afternoon and evening in Munich
Thurs 1st leg Munich to St Moritz 218m 4 hrs
Look around and lunch
2nd leg St Moritz to Lugano 113m 2hrs
Lugano on beautiful Lake Como
3rd leg Lugano to Locarno 40m 30 min
Locarno on Lake Maggiore
Stay in Locarno
Friday 1st leg Locarno to Zermatt 91m 2 hrs
At foot of Matterhorn- great pictures
2nd leg Zermatt to Interlaken 70m 2 hrs
Jungfrau have time to take tram up mt
Stay in Interlaken
Saturday Interlaken to Garmisch 231m 4 hrs
time to go to Innsbruck, or head into Munich for a little Oktoberfest
Sunday
Maybe Dachau, drop car and fly home on 4:30 flight

Too much, or can we do more?

Thanks in advance, and for any suggestions on things not to miss!

Jon
Sterling M3 Cab (soon to morph into Space Gray 335!)

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
I have found 800 km per day is a good limit but I would not recommend this several days in a row. It all depends on where you are going and what you want to see. For more leisurely travelling, I find 400-500 km works quite well.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Can anyone tell me what a comfortable number of miles of driving per day would be on Alpin roads? I am going with my Dad in mid-September to pick-up a 335 cab and while I know we could do 4-500 miles a day in the US, what is reasonable in the Alps, with stops for pictures, meals, etc. (mostly driving and no museum kind of stops). One itinerary we're considering is

Wed Pick up car around noon and spend afternoon and evening in Munich
Thurs 1st leg Munich to St Moritz 218m 4 hrs
Look around and lunch
2nd leg St Moritz to Lugano 113m 2hrs
Lugano on beautiful Lake Como
3rd leg Lugano to Locarno 40m 30 min
Locarno on Lake Maggiore
Stay in Locarno
Friday 1st leg Locarno to Zermatt 91m 2 hrs
At foot of Matterhorn- great pictures
2nd leg Zermatt to Interlaken 70m 2 hrs
Jungfrau have time to take tram up mt
Stay in Interlaken
Saturday Interlaken to Garmisch 231m 4 hrs
time to go to Innsbruck, or head into Munich for a little Oktoberfest
Sunday
Maybe Dachau, drop car and fly home on 4:30 flight

Too much, or can we do more?

Thanks in advance, and for any suggestions on things not to miss!

Jon
Sterling M3 Cab (soon to morph into Space Gray 335!)
Based on your plans you will be fine. 500 miles of Alpine driving in a day would be exhausting. You're doing quite a bit less than that so you'll be fine. Sounds like an exquisite trip.

·
weissbiermeister
1,256 Posts
You're going to have a blast! Those are some of the best roads and destinations that I have ever travelled to. No problem at all. Enjoy!

·
Registered
882 Posts
My general rule is that I keep drives to under 300 miles. Your itinerary sounds fine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Your itinerary sounds good, remember that the roads through the alps are full of sharp bends so your average speed might drop down a bit, then there's the locals who love to drive slow as hell. and personally i'd do oktoberfest, done it a few years ago and it was awsome, stand by for a major hangover though. have fun

·
Special Agent
2,683 Posts
Sounds like a great trip! May I just recommend Luzern, CH as a stop since you will be in that neck of the world! It is a beautiful place with a great history. Best of luck!:thumbup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Luzern

Thanks, we did Luzern on the last ED about 7-8 years ago and enjoyed it, so it may be worth another visit!

Jon (FORE)

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I would check the time and distance using the mapquest equivalent at Michelin.com. It considers the topography. Also give yourself an hour buffer each day the inevitable detour,missed turn etc,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts