BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, wanting to buy a bmw ariund the AUD $35000.00-$40000.00 mark. Preferably a 5 series, maybe a 3 series in diesel. Any tips and tricks. First timer here. Thanks
Adrian

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,096 Posts
Welcome!

Oz is a very odd little corner of the world, in terms of BMW values and model availability. Lets hope there will be a few folks from Australia that can give you some ideas on values....

Unfortunately due to import taxes on cars into AUS, the costs are way out of whack compared to, say, the US.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure no problem, regardless of the country. If you were going to buy a 2nd hand BMW would you prefer the 3 series over the 5 series , vice versa and why? :)

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Sure no problem, regardless of the country. If you were going to buy a 2nd hand BMW would you prefer the 3 series over the 5 series , vice versa and why? :)
They are two different type cars (obviously) but for kind of different uses. Its not "the 5 is a higher trim so better than the 3".

5s are heavier, and more luxurious than the 3s. 3s are more nimble than the 5s. 3s can feel "faster" than the 5s because of the 3s relatively smaller size and less weight for the same engine (unless you are talking 550).

Its a personal decision that depends on your use case and what you are looking for out of your car. Is the luxury of the car a little more important than the nimbleness to you, etc.

I actually prefer the 4 GC, but I dont have to ride around rear passengers much (which would be more comfortable for them in both a 3 and a 5). Both 3s and 5s are very very common where I live so its not an issue of rarity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True, luxury would be more important to me than a fast car. I love an eco car. I'm always willing to pay a bit more.
Do you know why the 5s is heavier though? Is it just because the body frame material is more or is the car larger?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,096 Posts
Personally I have a bit of an afflication with power and speed.... so my opinion on 3 vs 5 is prolly not much help.

;)

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
True, luxury would be more important to me than a fast car. I love an eco car. I'm always willing to pay a bit more.
Do you know why the 5s is heavier though? Is it just because the body frame material is more or is the car larger?
If you want a luxury car that gets great gas mileage and are willing to pay a bit more, you are talking about a diesel 5 series (imho).

I would imagine the 5 is heavier because its physically larger, but I have not studied that aspect of these cars that closely to tell you exactly how much heavier it is, or exactly how much larger it is.

I had (well my wife had) a 5 series, and I had a 3 series at the same time. I never swapped cars with her, and had little desire to actually drive her car. I DID drive it whenever we went on longer drives, because the 5 was more luxurious for long rides ( my 3 had the static sports suspension and she did not like riding in it for long periods of time).

I actually enjoy driving my wifes new diesel X5 more than I did her 5 series. I dont like either as much as my 4, but her x5 fits my idea of luxurious ride more than her 5 series did... part of that is the X5 has multi contour seats and our 5 did not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes i noticed the contour seats in the new x5, its absolutely stunning. I bit high for me at the moment. My end goal is something along the lines of the 4series LCI 330d line.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Interesting that you refer to a used BMW as "second hand" I've never heard someone describe a used car like that here in the U.S. If someone has driven it before it's used!

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,886 Posts
Interesting that you refer to a used BMW as "second hand" I've never heard someone describe a used car like that here in the U.S. If someone has driven it before it's used!
You must be fairly young. Used and second hand are used interchangeably, at least in the south.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts