BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to find the dimensions of the vignettes. Does anyone know the approximate dimensions? I would like to save the vignettes for our travel scrape book. Can someone tell me if they are easily removed without damaging the vignettes?

If not I will mount them with a clear film so I can remove the vignettes. Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
The Austr. sticker is about 2" square...or maybe 2.5" square. If you want to preserve it I would apply with tape or clear film. Why risk messing it up!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Just buy an extra Austrian vignette if you are afraid of damaging it. Its about 8-9 euros. The swiss one is more expensive (about 30 euros)

·
3 pedals only!
2,713 Posts
Fresh from my windshield

The Swiss vignette is about 2.375" square. The Austrian vignette is 2.5" square.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dumb question

Is there a regulation regarding where the vignette must be applied on the car? Sorry I don't know much about these, other than I will probably need to purchase one for Austria.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
Is there a regulation regarding where the vignette must be applied on the car? Sorry I don't know much about these, other than I will probably need to purchase one for Austria.
Yes, lower left or upper left or center top of windscreen.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
There are instructions on the back of the vignette with possible places of application on the windshield.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your comments. They are very helpful.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I just wedged them between the headliner and glass and they stayed put relatively well. That way they are perfectly preserved.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
I just wedged them between the headliner and glass and they stayed put relatively well. That way they are perfectly preserved.
Bad idea. :thumbdwn: That is not considered a legal application of the Vignette and, if you were stopped (happens from time to time), you would receive a fine. The Vignettes are not considered transferable and that is why it is mandatory to apply them.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I know I violated the law, but I never did stick mines on the windshield. :tsk:

I just left them on the dash in the lower driver's side corner and brought them home with me. I finally stuck them on when I got the car re-delivered. :thumbup:

·
Registered
171 Posts
The Swiss vignette is about 2.375" square. The Austrian vignette is 2.5" square.
+1 on the exact dimensions. I have mine in front of me. I applied them with Windshield Relief clear backing during the trip, then easily removed them and brought them home for the scrap book too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I never applied mine either. I was never pulled over, but when crossing into Switzerland I was asked for it. I pointed to it on the dash and was waved on. YMMV. I plan on reapplying mine after redelivery.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
+1 on the exact dimensions. I have mine in front of me. I applied them with Windshield Relief clear backing during the trip, then easily removed them and brought them home for the scrap book too.
what is Windshield Relief please?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Thank you all for your comments. They are very helpful.
You don't get it. Just because we answered your question completely and repeatedly doesn't mean this thread is over. It's a Bimmerfest Euro Deliv. forum tradition. Enjoy. :bigpimp:

·
Registered
171 Posts
what is Windshield Relief please?
http://www.windshieldrelief.com/home.html

When searching for the website again, I found that the product name has been changed to "Sticker Shield" now. It's a clear film with a paper backing. You apply your windshield sticker to the clear side (as if the film were the glass windshield). You then trim the film to the exact size of the original sticker. The paper backing is then removed, leaving a static cling surface for application to the interior of your window. The sticker can then be applied (and re-applied) many times (or to different vehicles). Since it is trimmed to the exact dimensions of the original sticker, it is nearly impossible to tell that the original sticker is not applied directly to the glass. The film essentially acts as a "middle man" between the sticker and the windshield.

I do NOT have any financial interest in the product. I've just been using it for a long time and think it's great. I have not had to scrape off an old sticker in years. City stickers, state park stickers, employee parking stickers, Swiss/Austrian vignettes...I've used it for all of them. It's great stuff.

·
Registered
173 Posts

When searching for the website again, I found that the product name has been changed to "Sticker Shield" now. It's a clear film with a paper backing. You apply your windshield sticker to the clear side (as if the film were the glass windshield). You then trim the film to the exact size of the original sticker. The paper backing is then removed, leaving a static cling surface for application to the interior of your window. The sticker can then be applied (and re-applied) many times (or to different vehicles). Since it is trimmed to the exact dimensions of the original sticker, it is nearly impossible to tell that the original sticker is not applied directly to the glass. The film essentially acts as a "middle man" between the sticker and the windshield.

I do NOT have any financial interest in the product. I've just been using it for a long time and think it's great. I have not had to scrape off an old sticker in years. City stickers, state park stickers, employee parking stickers, Swiss/Austrian vignettes...I've used it for all of them. It's great stuff.
It's great but it's also illegal. If you are caught with this sort of thing you will have to pay a fine. The probability of that happening is probably extremely low but still. The stickers are impossible to remove in one piece, once properly attached to the windshield. Of course that is to prevent people from transferring them between cars or selling them to the next tourist upon leaving the country. Go figure how the police are going to react to any device that is trying to get around preventing the transfer of the sticker.

·
3 pedals only!
2,713 Posts

Back in college, we'd do the same thing with parking permits, in order to transfer them from car to car. A little Vaseline applied to the face of the sticker was very effective.

The key to the process is not to get caught, however. The Swiss are rather fond of hefty fines.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Bad idea. :thumbdwn: That is not considered a legal application of the Vignette and, if you were stopped (happens from time to time), you would receive a fine. The Vignettes are not considered transferable and that is why it is mandatory to apply them.
Thank you! I did not know that. I just did not want to stick either one permanently since I was only driving through both countries. Next time I will stick them.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts