BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A family member's 2001 530i has an Auto climate that has a mind of it's own. I know it's hot outside these days, but even on Manual the blower gets very strong when you turn it down.

When on Auto, you are in a friggin wind tunnel and things are blowing at you from all over the place and it just doesn't stop.

What is going on? Has anyone else experienced this Demonlike behavior from their Auto Climage controls?

Thanks!

:D

·
Registered
319 Posts
I never use the auto control for JUST that reason, it is possessed! I don't like it when I get a "curious" passenger that starts touching all sorts of buttons because no matter how hard I try, I can never get the auto back to manual! It is always a good laugh when they hit the heated seat in the middle of summer and their a$$ just about ignites! :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pps-325xit said:
Final-stage resistor...common problem.
PPS is this for real? Thanks for the info, cause try explaining this to your BMW service guy and not sounding crazy. Of course you can't recreate the problem when you are showing the guy so they think you are wacko.

But have you had this fixed before and this was the reason?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
325xi-SteelGray said:
I never use the auto control for JUST that reason, it is possessed! I don't like it when I get a "curious" passenger that starts touching all sorts of buttons because no matter how hard I try, I can never get the auto back to manual! It is always a good laugh when they hit the heated seat in the middle of summer and their a$$ just about ignites! :)
That is funny! But I have Auto Climate control on another brand of car and at least it's not as crazy as the BMW one. You can even manually control it, which the BMW version can do too, but it's not working! Manually reduce the fan to 2 bars and it's still blowing your hair back!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jon Shafer said:
My 2001 X5 3.0i (without climate control) just started doing the same darn thing...

Gremlins I tell ya!
I hear you on that one. Just turning off the Auto Climate control and you can't even override the system manually. Something is wrong.

As for Gremlins, don't feed or give them water after midnight.

:D

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yes, it's for real. This is a common failure in E46s. Fan goes totally out of control. And yes, I've had mine replaced after just under one year of ownership. It started acting up soon after I experimented with the ACC. I actually prefer the manual control of the fan, and no longer set it to auto. The fan is just too noisy when it's at full blast. Also, I use the AC infrequently (i.e. less than 10 times a year), and tend to crank open the moonroof and windows most of the time. Oh, and they can test the part easily to see if it's failed. :thumbup: Posessed?? That's a good term for it... I'll have to remember that !!! :lmao:

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Robert said:
Same here. Both being replaced today. Report to follow.
WTF? What is going on here? I've been taking the car back to the dealer for this family member of mine for the following so far (right now it has 13K miles - less than a year old).

1. Fan recall / replacement
2. Tail light went out - Replaced
3. AM / FM Radio goes down at times - Can't find problem
4. Now this Auto Climate Control Problem

Although these are sort of minor issues, this is still the 2nd to last generation of the 5 series (2001 5 series), so you would think after each and every previous model year they would make things more close to perfect.

Again these are minor issues, and again you will will hear from me and others, that this car is so fun to drive that you just live with these minor tech issues. It's still worth it!

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
Mystikal said:

Without Auto climate, jackass! :flipoff:
yes..even manual climate control(dials/knobs) fitted bimmers are possessed with the gremlins.

mine was so bad that even after i turned off the car the fan would still continue to blow air. not a standard feature on BMWs. :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
pps-325xit said:
Final-stage resistor...common problem.
This is exactly what my service advisor stated. I am finally going in tomorrow to have it fixed. Like you all have said, it seems to be a common problem.

Once again this forum is the best place for any of your answers. Thanks again!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fixed!

I got it fixed today and the demons have left! The Auto climate control has been EXORCISED!

Thank you BMW GHOSTBUSTERS.

All is back to normal now, until another minor BMW electrical problem occurs! YIKES!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.