BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
BMW ****ie
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which works best at controlling the cabin temperature, the "Auto" system OR the thumb wheel in the top center of the console with the red and blue dots on it?

I prefer to use the "Auto" function yet I feel greater variation in the temperature by spinning the wheel to either hot ot cold.

How can I maximize use of the "Auto"climate control system which appears to allow different settings for the driver and passenger?

Why does the temp wheel/thermostat appear to override the settings of the "Auto" climate control feature?

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
How can I maximize use of the "Auto"climate control system which appears to allow different settings for the driver and passenger?
Most questions already have good answers in the bestlinks.

A quick search for "air conditioning" there found this (of which you only need the first few links):

- How to learn about (1) and set up your air conditioning (1) (2) & how to replace the activated charcoal cabin air filter (1) (2) (3) & what cabin filter to buy (1) (2) & cn90's inexpensive cabin filter retrofit (1) (2) (3) & cabin air filter implications for stinky gym sock AC odors (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to refill your A/C system for $20 (1) (2) (3) (4) & where to find your low pressure aircon recharge port (1) & what refrigerant PAG oil to use (1) (1) & R134a conversion information (1) (2) how to measure A C temperature (1) & how to diagnose A / C compressor knocking sounds (1) & air conditioner compressor replacement DIYs (1) or compressor rebuilds (1) or ac hose rebuilding services (1) & how to remove the IHKA air conditioning control panel to clean the circuit board (1) (2) (3) (4) with removal of MID, HVAC/IHKA, Business CD player (1), & dashboard trim (1) & how to remove the trim and bracket holding the MID & HVAC/IHKA panels (1) (2) or to replace the IHKA button (1) & how to check the IHKA sampling fan (1) & how to change OBC MID IHKA KTMP temperature from degrees Celcius to Fahrenheit (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & how to diagnose lack of HVAC/IHKA heater core heat with cooling system (auxiliary pump) at idle (1) & what is this thing (HVAC/IHKA solar sensor) in the middle of my dashboard by the windshield (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7).

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Those are two entirely different devices. The wheel is a blend door. Auto just dictates where to blow the air out to reach temperature. If you want to maximinze your heating or cooling, set the dial to the max number of red or blue dots. Blue being cooling and Red heat. In manual mode ,you can chose to control which vents the air blow out of.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The thumb wheel only adjusts the temp of the center vent. RTM!

·
Registered
12,387 Posts
The dial located in the center dash is the stratification dial. It gives the driver another option to temper the air coming from the dash vents...its use is intended for comfort especially on long trips where the driver may need cooler air blowing in their face to keep them alert...while the HVAC system is set at a temp to keep the other passengers comfortable.

The rear passengers also have a "stratification" dial located on the right side of the vent at the rear of the center console (must of missed that one :) ) and it provides the rear passengers the same option...an ability to temper the air without having to ask the driver to turn up or turn down the HVAC setting.

(rear passsenger's "stratified" air dial located on right side of vent...does the same thing as the front center vent's stratified air dial)

(here's a warning to be careful in NOT to set the front stratification dial too cold because it can cause issues if the very cold air is sucked into the IHKA control panel's thermistor which is located in the right "vent" on the IHKA control panel)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts