BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have this issue fixed? My car is a 2/11 Build and I noticed the other day around 4PM sun was very bright that my low beam headlights were on. I know there are posts about this from the early cars but has anyone had this fixed?

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
Is it possible you have Daytime Running Lights and that is what you are seeing ??
No, that's not it. I have the same issue...they're very sensitive and if they come on, sometimes they do not go off. Sometimes turning them "off" then back to auto will get them to go away.

I was planning on bringing my car in today to have a number of issues looked at including this, but I had to re-schedule.

I know Markl had his service department look and they said no adjustment could be made, but I agree, it is ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,684 Posts
Yes, but as I've used them more I notice this only happens in bright sun. On a cloudy bright day they work as expected. Someone mentioned once that maybe it's this way on purpose to have lights shining during bright sun, not sure. I've sort of accepted it by now. Again, try when not bright sun and it works pretty good (like my old BMW's).

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, but as I've used them more I notice this only happens in bright sun. On a cloudy bright day they work as expected. Someone mentioned once that maybe it's this way on purpose to have lights shining during bright sun, not sure. I've sort of accepted it by now. Again, try when not bright sun and it works pretty good (like my old BMW's).
Hmmm, I know my Lexus wasn't sensitive enough and it would take a lil while for the lights to come on in tunnels and the dealer was able to adjust it. I will check with my dealer at some point.

·
Happy F10 driver
133 Posts
If the sun is fairly low in the sky, even if bright, they will come on. The sensor looks at angle as well as brightness I understand. It's more sensitive to this when the sky is clear. On an overcast day it really can't sense the angle of the sun so just goes from the amount of ambient light.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where did you read it looks at the angle of the sun? Does the car have a sun dial? Lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
+1 same issue/behavior for me. I just assumed this is how the system was intended to work, but it never really made sense to me. Car is going in this weekend to get the handsfree microphones replaced, so I will ask about this as well. I will also consult the manual.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried the turning off then back to auto to "clear" them and the low beams came back on. A sensor is providing an input to make the lights turn on so I figured it wouldn't "clear" it

·
Happy F10 driver
133 Posts
Where did you read it looks at the angle of the sun? Does the car have a sun dial? Lol.
Page 85 of the 2011 UK owner's handbook:

...The headlights may also come on when the sun is sitting low in a blue sky...

It was also the same in my E60 and I believe it's because the sensor not only measures amount of light, but also to some degree it's direction. I think a bit more modern than a sundial

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
Page 85 of the 2011 UK owner's handbook:

...The headlights may also come on when the sun is sitting low in a blue sky...

It was also the same in my E60 and I believe it's because the sensor not only measures amount of light, but also to some degree it's direction. I think a bit more modern than a sundial
I highly doubt that it measure any kind of degree of direction.

Rather what it's trying to tell you is to expect it to come on before "dark" as the light sensor is simply going to have a minimum light measurement that will trigger the circuitry.

·
Happy F10 driver
133 Posts
Ahh, I now realise BMW headlight sensors react to infra red not visible light. That explains it.

·
Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,684 Posts
I highly doubt that it measure any kind of degree of direction.

Rather what it's trying to tell you is to expect it to come on before "dark" as the light sensor is simply going to have a minimum light measurement that will trigger the circuitry.
Yes but 2 things. First, my 2 previous BMW's didn't act this way. 2nd, on a cloudy day, even if not super bright, the lights don't come on. Meaning, I'm almost convinced they want them to come on when the sun is bright overhead, or else the sensor is so targeted, it doesn't pay attention to the bright spot of the sun.

·
Registered
184 Posts
AlBoston -

Yes, in the headlight auto mode, I have had the same experience with my F10 550. If you wait long enough the headlights do turn off when you are in, or are transitioning into, bright light conditions, but they have a very slow reaction/change to the off position under certain daylight conditions. Fortunately, the opposite is not true - my headlights always come on immediately under dark or poor light conditions.

·
Happy F10 driver
133 Posts
Where are the sensors? Is it inside the car, like maybe the rear view mirror facing inside? I have all 5 windows tinted pretty dark and I thought it was because of that.
They are where the rear view mirror affixed to the windscreen - that area should have nothing more than BMW standard tint. You can see them if you look at the top/middle of the windscreen from outside

·
Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,684 Posts
They are where the rear view mirror affixed to the windscreen - that area should have nothing more than BMW standard tint. You can see them if you look at the top/middle of the windscreen from outside
Are you sure? I thought that was the rainsense sensor on the rear view mirror mount area. I thought the auto headlight sensor is somewhere on the upper dash area.

·
Registered
184 Posts
No, after-market tinted windows is not the reason - my window are oem stock - no extra tinting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.