BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was wondering my auto roll down for my windows doesn't work... is there a way to reset it or does it have to be programmed??? Thanks

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
Are you aware that you have to press the unlock button twice, and hold it down on the second press?

·
Das rampen abwarten
373 Posts
Are you referring to remote operation with the keyfob as Fast Bob refers to above; or just the autodown/up feature from switch operation inside the car?

If it is the latter, they can be reset by:
My window auto-up/down does not work

You can reset the window auto function by:
  • Turn the key to the ON position but do not start the car
  • Roll the windows all the way down, THEN roll them all the way up and HOLD the switch up for an additional 5-10 seconds.
  • Turn the key off
(excerpted from http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46#My_window_auto-up.2Fdown_does_not_work )

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Kimmy... yah I'm referring to the autodown/up feature from switch operation inside the car... I did try the method you suggested a couple of times and still no auto down or up... i don't know what i'm doing wrong... any other suggestions... thanks

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
Hey Fast Bob if i do your method... would the auto down/up work from the inside operation... thanks
Auto-down *only* from the remote....no auto-up....
I would suggest pulling the wires off the switch contacts (probably the blade-type), re-install them, do this a few times to clean the contacts....they might just be dirty/corroded.
Sometimes you get lucky and it`s just a simple thing like that.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey kimmy its all windows... it was working b4 but it stopped working either when then mechanic changed all the window regulators or when i got my computer for the car replaced...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Auto-down *only* from the remote....no auto-up....
I would suggest pulling the wires off the switch contacts (probably the blade-type), re-install them, do this a few times to clean the contacts....they might just be dirty/corroded.
Sometimes you get lucky and it`s just a simple thing like that.

Regards,
Bob
Hey Fast Bob sorry i'm not really familiar with the electrical stuff where exactly is what you said located... thanks

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
Hey kimmy its all windows... it was working b4 but it stopped working either when then mechanic changed all the window regulators or when i got my computer for the car replaced...
You should have mentioned this *in your first post*....take the car back to that mechanc & explain the problem to him....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will Fast Bob explain to the mechanic... thanks... but I was curious to see if if the method u had explained to me about using the keyfob to roll down the windows works cause i never did that b4 and yup it works... which i thought was pretty cool... thanks again Fast Bob

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry to interject but how do you make the windows go back up from the key? I can make them all roll down but not up.

- Garret

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Sorry to interject but how do you make the windows go back up from the key? I can make them all roll down but not up.

- Garret
You use the metal part of the key, stick it under the lip on the window switches, and pull it up. :rofl:

BMW of North America sold cars have the roll up feature disabled for liability reasons :(.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
You use the metal part of the key, stick it under the lip on the window switches, and pull it up. :rofl:
You gonna add that to the Wiki ? :)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

- Garret
Put the key in the door lock, turn to the right and hold, windows and sunroof will all close after a short delay.

·
Holy Flamebait, Batman!
265 Posts
Any chance those of us with European delivery cars would have the auto-up feature enabled?

How would it work, just to test if we have it?

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Any chance those of us with European delivery cars would have the auto-up feature enabled?

How would it work, just to test if we have it?
No. European delivery cars still have the BMW of North America programming. The cars are 100% identical to cars delivered here.

To test, you'd hold down the lock button.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts