BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have recently bought a 2004 E46 series 325i M sport wagon and have been perusing through lots of forums to get as much knowledge and hints as I can, to come to grips with things.
I have read on some sites that the passenger mirror does tilt down when going in reverse, assuming that the Left/ Right mirror control switch is switched to centre or LHS. Mine does not activate at all. After hearing about all the hidden codes that are in many BMW vehicles, I wonder if this is a code activated feature. Can anyone advise. Thanks

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Hi. I have recently bought a 2004 E46 series 325i M sport wagon and have been perusing through lots of forums to get as much knowledge and hints as I can, to come to grips with things.
I have read on some sites that the passenger mirror does tilt down when going in reverse, assuming that the Left/ Right mirror control switch is switched to centre or LHS. Mine does not activate at all. After hearing about all the hidden codes that are in many BMW vehicles, I wonder if this is a code activated feature. Can anyone advise. Thanks
First, welcome to Bimmerfest! Now, a bit about us. Many of the Bimmerfest members are from the USA, and so a lot of the technical discussions are centered around US-specification cars. We also have some members in other parts of the world. I am hoping they will help here.

On USA-specification cars (E46), the tilt down passenger mirror was optional. It was sold as either a part of the Premium Package (expensive), or as a part of the Power Memory Seat option (semi-expensive). There may be some variation on this, depending on year model.

I am assuming your car is a New Zealand specification car (since you are from Auckland), which I think is right hand drive. Therefore, the passenger side of the car is the left side. I also think your options list is different from ours. In any case, putting the power mirror switch in the middle position should enable the tilt-down feature, if your car is equipped with this feature; likewise, putting the switch in the right position (toward driver side). Putting the switch in the left position (toward passenger side) would disable the tilt-down feature.

:drive:

·
BMW = Fahrvergnügen
448 Posts
I'm pretty sure you need to have mirrors with memory to have that function. Mine don't and don't do it. Wish they did, because it'd be neat. I never parallel park, though, so I guess it doesn't matter.

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
Indeed, a necessary condition is to have memory seats/mirrors, since the prior state of the mirror has to be stored somewhere while the glass is searching for the ants. If you so have electric seats with memory AND the reverse tilt feature is not happening, the dealer or a savvy indy can activate this car/key feature.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Also, the mirror switch needs to stay in the driver's side position (there is no middle position). If you switch it to the passenger side, it will not tilt when in R.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reference E46 325i M sport tilting reverse mirror

To all the helpfull advice from you guys. Yes , in New Zealand we are RH drive , also the mirror control switch is only a two way unit mounted on the drivers door arm rest. You are also correct that the switch has to be put in the R Hand position for the LH mirror to go into the tilt mode when reversing. My model for the record does have memory electric seats for driver and passenger. I also have two Ignition /Car keys , which I am told may be able to be coded to preselect seat positions for each driver ( My wife or myself ) I have not tried to verify this as yet so I cant positively confirm. I do know that on the electric seats, that by actuating the number 1 or 2 button, the seats will reset to their previously entered memory position. :):)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.