BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just at a trans shop the other day and they did a fluid change and filter on my 325i. I was surprised that they reccomended that i have the fluid changed every 20,000 kilometers, 12,000 miles. It seems to me to be a short life span for trany fluid, its is common to change it that often? My car only has 70,000Kilometers, 43,000 miles on it and the there seems to be no sign of any transmission problems yet. :dunno:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well, you can choose either $100 for trans fluid change or $2000 for a transmission change.

I'll pay the $100 every year thanks!

·
tomas3314
54 Posts
Recommended 12,000 mile tranny oil change intervals??? If I read that right...That's nuts :confused: ..
I think they are just trying to scam you which mean you really shouldn't be going there in the first place or give them anymore business ....they obviously don't know anything about Bmw trannies...

From what I have read in many past threads in multiple forums you'll see that some people say its never supposed to be changed. That its supposed to have a "lifetime" fluid from the factory..regardless and logically yes I would change it just to extend the life of the tranny. If you are so determined to really maintain the car and as overkill preventative maintenenace freak as I am I would change it about every 30,000 miles...
And do it yourself...I personally change mine myself..filter kits are a few dollars plus the cost of tranny fluid. I recommend RedLine Oils....

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/E36-Tranny_Fluid_Auto/E36-Tranny_Fluid_Auto.htm

Believe this might help a bit....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info and link, most helpful. I will change the fluid myself as outlined on that page. The old saying an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, comes to mind, when new trannys run over 2000. :thumbup:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just make sure you put the right BMW approved fluid into your gearbox, otherwise you may well be looking at a new transmission later on. :yikes:

And no matter what people tell you, none of that Redline stuff - just what BMW says is the right stuff. :angel:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tranny Parts

Hi, Anyone know of a website where I can purchase an auto tranny filter and associated gaskets. I am in Japan and need to purchase parts online, or pay about three times the stateside cost.
Thanks, BD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts