BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that we've moved up to running R-Comps, we had to find a way to get them to events without taking a 2nd car. The Z was fine to carry a jack, helmet and tools but not much else.

So over the winter I kept an eye on the Harbour frieight sales and picked up their 40x48 trailer kit for $200.

Added a third wheel to make it easier to move and then started work on the top side. My wife was not going to let me get a way with pulling anything that was not up to "standard", so 2 8x4 sheets of ply, 8 ft of oak plank and a quart of Varnish later, the trailer was deamed fit for purpose.

We dont get the custom hitch (coming of a friends car) for another week or so but at least the trailer is ready.

May not stay looking so good for long....

·
S54=Living on the Edge
1,496 Posts
Looks great! Look forward to the completed setup with the hitch; btw, what is the Z4M rated at for towing?

·
Registered
652 Posts
That's nothing short of awesome.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Looks great! Look forward to the completed setup with the hitch; btw, what is the Z4M rated at for towing?
I dont think the Z3M or Z4M are rated for towing.

You can by an off the shelf hitch for a Z3 but the Z3M never had one you could buy, due to the twin Exhaust setup. I found a friend with a custom made hitch

I'll post up pics of the bar when I get it.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
652 Posts
Z3's have an available off the shelf hitch previously made by De'lan and is now manufactured by Curt Manufacturing at ironically a lower price that what HMS used to sell the De'lan. It has a 1200 lbs. tow rating whch is sufficient for this application.

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,258 Posts
There is a tow package for the Z4 M. I believe you can find it on RealOEM. You have to cut into the bumper cover a little. I think tow rating was 1200lbs. Search this forum, it's where I found the links. Trailer looks GREAT :thumbup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
WOW. Great job. The wood work is awesome. I bet you get allot of looks. What are you going to pull it with ( I'm kinda new to the forum).

I bought the same kit a couple of years ago, but stretched it to 50"X96" so I could tow my bike, and use it as a all around utility trailer as well. For about $10.00 worth of material and $10.00 at a welding shop , I was able to rig up a hide away hitch for my 97 Z3.

Again, beautiful job. I wish mine looked half that clean. Doughboy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
S54=Living on the Edge
1,496 Posts
blairrm - Did you ever get the hitch installed on your Z4M?

I am starting to look into a tire trailer as well and want to see what others have done. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the Z3 M..sorry

·
Dragon Master of TEXAS!
876 Posts
That is one beautiful trailer!
I also used that same HF Trailer Kit.
Added a wood floor and a Plastic Tool Box to house the tools, etc.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Great looking set up, got me thinking that I could use the same trailer for carrying our Mountain Bikes etc.

·
S54=Living on the Edge
1,496 Posts
Thanks blairrm. For some reason I thought you have a Z4M :)

I will probably get the HF 40x49 trailer as well. Looks like a no-brainer for the price and for the few times I will use it, it should hold out just fine.

z3power - What make/model/size plastic box did you go with?

As for the hitch, I am thinking something along the lines of this. Not sure if it will come out from under the bumper or from the mesh opening between the tail pipes. Will have it custom done at my local VW/Euro mechanic.

Any ideas on a good mounting point would be great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts