BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Watching a program called "Megastructure-autobahn" on National Geography Channel, good program for anyone never been on it before.

cheers,

beewang :bigpimp:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Good program...very informative. BTW, it was interesting to see the wrecked M3 CSL on country roads since only 20% of the accidents happen on the autobahn. Seeing Estonia Ruf speak about cars was a blast; they should have showed that Ruf at over 300km/h :D .

·
Using SPF 45
3,672 Posts
xspeedy said:
Yep, it has really been on quite a bit lately.
thanks for the tip. It's on 4pm today, and I just set it to record using tivo internet access. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tanning machine said:
thanks for the tip. It's on 4pm today, and I just set it to record using tivo internet access. :thumbup:
Right.... replay at 4:00 PM EST, 1:00 PM PST

and I am sure it will be replayed many times in the future. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Sweet show...you really learn to appreciate how intelligent the Germans are about roads and driving. I think the USA could learn A LOT! :)

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
Ågent99 said:
Sweet show...you really learn to appreciate how intelligent the Germans are about roads and driving. I think the USA could learn A LOT! :)
The US is so much larger - I doubt we could afford that kind of setup. Also, if we had it, I think we would be paying $80,000 for a 325i and $7 a gallon for gas.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
True, but imagine if the US could build our interstates to last 2-3x what they normally do. I think it would save a lot of money in the long run and there would be less construction traffic jams.

Besides, I think the US has the infrastructure to put in such monitoring. It could start in the big cities or start out in the middle of Montana somewhere.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
woody underwood said:
That program is OOOOOOOLD....and a lot of the Bahn has been widened to 3 lanes or re-paved since it was made. But that Pork Chop sure doe's cook!
Old??!! :eeps: That program was produced about a year ago. I don't think its that old..

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
trex said:
Can't be...they showed a wrecked e46 M3 CSL...the cars are not older than 1 year.
Speaking of the wreck CSL, man!!!! that was disgusting :yikes: ...the dude's body was jammed and buried in the pile of metal w/ his hands sticking out... :eeps:

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
woody underwood said:
That program is OOOOOOOLD....and a lot of the Bahn has been widened to 3 lanes or re-paved since it was made. But that Pork Chop sure doe's cook!
IIRC, I think it was 2002 or 2003 so it isn't like from the last century or anything! :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
beewang said:
Speaking of the wreck CSL, man!!!! that was disgusting :yikes: ...the dude's body was jammed and buried in the pile of metal w/ his hands sticking out... :eeps:
Really sick...but it does give you something to think about whenever you have an adrenaline rush on b-roads.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Man! 3 days before I leave and I have to watch this show. It will be raining while I'm there. I guess I'll go a little closer than I wanted. I'd hate to be one of those many wrecks they showed on the show.

·
Registered
207 Posts
hierarchy of respect?

Per the show, there's a "hierarchy of respect" on the autobahn.

porsche > mercedes > bmw > audi > vw

Would you guys agree? Is that how its cars are looked at in Germany and the autobahn?

·
Ultimate Driving Machine
2,208 Posts
sharmabmw said:
Per the show, there's a "hierarchy of respect" on the autobahn.

porsche > mercedes > bmw > audi > vw

Would you guys agree? Is that how its cars are looked at in Germany and the autobahn?
I think it depends where you are. In Bavaria I hardly saw any MB or Porsches...all the nice cars were BMWs. But up towards Stutgart/Frankfurt/Bonn I saw a lot more. In 6 days of driving on the Bahn, I don't recall seeing one Porsche. They certainly are a lot more rare in Germany than they are in California.

·
Registered
66 Posts
They were referring to what cars typically yield to others in the fast lane. The VW yields to everyone. Everyone yields to the P-car since they do not have the 155 mph speed limiter.

My (very biased) take on it is that it takes quite a while to haul a huge MB down from triple-digit speeds so everyone needs to get out of the way. The BMW, with it's agility and balance can take care of itself. :D

I saw many, many P-cars while there and it's was great to see them stretch their legs in their native element! :thumbup:

I am seriously considering doing ED for my September-build P-car. If only they did ED as well and BMW does.

TVN

·
Spartacus_33
813 Posts
Anyone know when this is going to be on again? :dunno:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.