BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am thinking about retrofitting an autodimming rearview mirror. Has anyone done this? How difficult is it?

I checked out X5WORLD it only has retrofit for compass mirror.
Any assistance is appreciated
Thanks for everyones help.
 

·
Official Bangle Hater
Joined
·
514 Posts
To retrofit the dimming mirror will be as much, if not more than the autodimming mirror with the compass. In other words, the compass mirror also includes dimming. Go for that as its an accessory and will be cheaper than buying the dimming mirror alone... (thats my bet anyways)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
bimerbenny said:
Hello everyone,
I am thinking about retrofitting an autodimming rearview mirror. Has anyone done this? How difficult is it?

I checked out X5WORLD it only has retrofit for compass mirror.
Any assistance is appreciated
Thanks for everyones help.
For a few bucks more, why not get the autodimming plus compass mirror? In any case, the instruction on X5WORLD should be the same. The installation isn't difficult at all, but you must be REALLY careful twisting the mirror back on or you can be faced with needing a new windshield as well. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
vinu_neuro said:
premium package got it standard
On 3.0i, it's not part of the Premium Package. Never was. It's a separate option that can be ordered. It's included in the Premium Package on 4.4 and 4.6is or 4.8is
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
IFlyX5 said:
On 3.0i, it's not part of the Premium Package. Never was. It's a separate option that can be ordered. It's included in the Premium Package on 4.4 and 4.6is or 4.8is
im the second owner of my X5, and i can tell when the mirror dims the lights at night. I just assumed it was part of the PP. Sorry for the misinformation.
 

·
Welcomed to the 'Fest!
Joined
·
696 Posts
IFlyX5 said:
On 3.0i, it's not part of the Premium Package. Never was. It's a separate option that can be ordered. It's included in the Premium Package on 4.4 and 4.6is or 4.8is
It has always pissed me off that such a basic feature was optional on the 3.0. It should have been standard kit with all X5's. Hell, there are much cheaper Japanese cars that have auto dimming mirrors standard. :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
IFlyX5 said:
On 3.0i, it's not part of the Premium Package. Never was. It's a separate option that can be ordered. It's included in the Premium Package on 4.4 and 4.6is or 4.8is
It would be just my luck and bad karma that my nused '01 X5 4.4, 11/00 build, is without the auto dimming mirror. It's got the Premium Package too. Gonna do that auto-dim/compass mirror this week.
 

·
Registered
2015 X5 xDrive35i MSport 2013 X5 xDrive35i
Joined
·
1,210 Posts
I had it done on the X. Well worth the cost of the mirror. Takes about 20 minutes. Getting the clamshell apart without breaking it is tricky but can be done. The guy who put mine in had done a few so he knew all about splitting the plastic. Then you have to drive around in figure eioghts or circles to set the compass. Also you turn the mirror on its mount to remove it. DO NOT PULL. I know somebody here (or X5 World) did and got a nice new front windshield for their efforts. The mirror bracket pulled right off the glass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for wonderful information.
Now any idea where would be a good place to buy the mirror from?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
2015 X5 xDrive35i MSport 2013 X5 xDrive35i
Joined
·
1,210 Posts
Mike at ALL IMPORT PARTS 1-800-308-5881
Tell him Paul in CT recommended you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
I just retrofitted a dimming compass mirror on mine a few weeks ago. Got the part from Pacific BMW for ~$233. My local deal installed it for free while the car was in the shop for something else. The install is plug & play and only takes a few minutes.

I will be ordering another one soon for my 530.

Question for owners with self-dimming side mirrors... Do they dim based on the rearview sensor or is there a separate sensor?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Jeremy said:
I just retrofitted a dimming compass mirror on mine a few weeks ago. Got the part from Pacific BMW for ~$233. My local deal installed it for free while the car was in the shop for something else. The install is plug & play and only takes a few minutes.

I will be ordering another one soon for my 530.

Question for owners with self-dimming side mirrors... Do they dim based on the rearview sensor or is there a separate sensor?
There are actually 2 sensors in the mirror. One on the middle front (on the glass itself) and one on the back in the mirror housing (right hand side). The one on the back detects the changes in enviroment and turns on or off the dimming features. The one in the front (inside the glass) detects the incoming glares from vehicles behind you and auto dims your mirror.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Jeremy said:
Thanks. And what sensor drives the side view mirros?
The side mirrors do not have sensors built in them. When there is a glare, the liquid particles in the mirrors get charged up and dims the mirror, hence the term "electrochromatic".
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top