Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
My manual specifically states the system is limited when a car swerves into your lane, which is what the OP stated happened to him. I don't see any disconnect between my observations and yours.

Now if the car was ahead of him in his lane and braked suddenly, I agree the system should have braked independently. But that is not how he described the incident.

We can debate whether the system should be more sensitive to cars swerving into your lane. But my point is to say the manual clearly lists the limitations, something the OP could have known if he had obtained and read the manual. I'm just being factual, not trying to offend his sensitivities.
I never even mentioned your point about cars swerving into lanes, I was responding to your two absolutely incorrect assertions which were that it only works if ACC is active, and that braking must be initiated by the driver.

I don't for one minute disagree that no system will catch all possibilities, but for the avoidance of doubt, the BMW system is permanently active and does intervene actively if triggered.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,567 Posts

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,567 Posts
I never even mentioned your point about cars swerving into lanes, I was responding to your two absolutely incorrect assertions which were that it only works if ACC is active, and that braking must be initiated by the driver.
Fair enough. If you are calling me out, please copy and paste the relevant sections from the Owner's Manual to back up those assertions. That's what I've done.

Every reference I have found to the system in my Owner's Manual is chock full of caveats. Like this description of the Front Collision Mitigation System on Page 172:

With Radar Sensor: Brake Intervention

The warning prompts the driver to intervene. If a warning is active, the maximum braking force is used when the brake is applied. The brake pedal must be applied sufficiently quickly and forcefully. The system may also assist in braking if there is a risk of collision.​

I previously stated that the Manual does NOT say the Frontal Collision Mitigation System brakes the vehicle without driver intervention, UNLESS ACC is Activated. I would love it if you were correct, but I cannot find anything in the manual that says that you are. And if you do not have ACC, or if you don't have the system turned on, the Manual says this:

Warning with Braking Function

A warning symbol appears in the instrument cluster and in the Head-up Display if a collision with a detected vehicle is imminent.

Symbol Measure

Symbol lights up red: prewarning. Brake and increase distance.
Symbol flashes red and an acoustic signal sounds: acute warning. Brake and make an evasive maneuver, if necessary.

Intersection collision warning:

Symbol flashes red and an acoustic signal sounds: acute warning when vehicles cross your direction of travel. Brake and make an evasive maneuver, if necessary.

Prewarning

This warning is provided, for instance when there is impending danger of a collision or the distance to the vehicle ahead is too small. If a prewarning is provided, respond by braking as warranted.

Acute warning with braking function

An acute warning is displayed in case of the imminent danger of a collision when the vehicle approaches another object at a high differential speed.

Intervene in the case of an acute warning.

If an acute warning is provided, the system may provide assistance, such as through braking, when there is risk of collision.​

I admit that BMW Manuals are notoriously poorly-written (or designed by lawyers to be deliberately murky). But NOWHERE in this section do I see a statement that your so-called Emergency Braking function will actually brake the vehicle without you applying the brakes. In fact, it goes to great length to say it will tell you to brake, and then may help out. But as I read it, it does NOT state it will brake the car on its own UNLESS ACC is enabled. In fact, it repeatedly states the operator must apply the brakes. If the system was autonomous, why would the Manual make those statements?

Please do us all a favor and quote the section of your Manual which rebuts my conclusion. And if you cannot find a section to back up your assertion, please apologize for claiming I made "two absolutely incorrect assertions".

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You're welcome, snowflake. Sorry if I triggered you.:angel:
Oh, don't worry, I don't get past the level of irritated or mildly miffed for things like that. High levels of passive aggressiveness combined with assumed superiority often speak to deep seated insecurities and self doubt, possibly brought on by an emotionally withholding and possibly frequently absent father. Seems like whatever your issues are, therapy is the recommended course of action. Such a condition can be aggravated by biological issues, but often the greatest progress is made through a course that allows these deep seated psychological traumas to be identified and addressed in a safe place. It's a difficult thing to treat, but doable, I encourage you would do yourself that kindness.

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Wow, I used to think things got rough on the E70 side but this is a new level. On E46 and E63 forums things are generally much more cordial. Maybe that comes with out of warranty cars that are practically worthless?? The mods there would have you picking your own switch before administering a good whooping.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Wow, I used to think things got rough on the E70 side but this is a new level. On E46 and E63 forums things are generally much more cordial. Maybe that comes with out of warranty cars that are practically worthless?? The mods there would have you picking your own switch before administering a good whooping.
Cabin fever?

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Noticed that too...E39 section is very mellow and easy going...rarely any attacks or overly verbose attacks and over reactions like here. ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sorry, I shouldn't have engaged. Might have veered off topic a bit. And yes, things are getting weird over here when my only interactions are with small children and my sister in law, I'm sure everyone is feeling a lot of their own weirdness!

To get back on topic, the aforementioned repair was done by a BMW certified repair shop and there was no indication of any damage to the sensors. The warning came on when the car that pulled in front of me took the lane I was in, just about as I moved to the right and half shoulder while braking, while the car realized I was there and moved left as I passed on the right. I think that covers any ambiguity left in what happened. Even if the car was never going to brake for itself, it still should not have thrown an error. My guess is that it's something wrong in the control end of it, not the sensors themselves, since I think they run self tests periodically. But the adaptive cruise has always functioned properly... I'm kind of stuck, here...

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,567 Posts
Unfortunately, we see this a lot here. Folks who cannot be bothered to do research and respond to factual statements resort to personal attacks. It's often - but not always - a generational thing. Kids who grew up getting participation trophies tend to be sore losers.

I'd welcome any input from a mature poster who can post definitive sections from the Owner's Manual or other BMW Technical Documents on how the system really works. Despite the snarkiness, I do think it would be helpful for all of us to understand the limitations of the systems.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Unfortunately, we see this a lot here. Folks who cannot be bothered to do research and respond to factual statements resort to personal attacks. It's often - but not always - a generational thing. Kids who grew up getting participation trophies tend to be sore losers.
You were the one who started the personal attacks, dude. This post here is more of that passive aggressive bs and everyone recognizes it but most people are smart enough to let it lie. You don't have the moral high ground, here, you're in the mud with me in this thread, it's everyone else that took the high road. The thing is, I like playing in the mud sometimes. I was in the Navy for a long time, believe me, I miss these kinds of talks, I only wish I could do it in person. It's been fun, but it's done. Relax, have a beer, and maybe look through the thread to see how many places you were wrong to learn for next time.

As far as how the system works, people have posted from the manual that indicates the car will brake for itself, but they phrased it non-definitively, likely as a legal tactic so that when the car fails to do so, they can't get sued, which is fair. I never rely on such systems, but I like having them there and functional regardless. If it just didn't do anything, I would understand it was down to system limitations, but it threw an error and that is the real concern.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Relavance

Oh, don't worry, I don't get past the level of irritated or mildly miffed for things like that. High levels of passive aggressiveness combined with assumed superiority often speak to deep seated insecurities and self doubt, possibly brought on by an emotionally withholding and possibly frequently absent father. Seems like whatever your issues are, therapy is the recommended course of action. Such a condition can be aggravated by biological issues, but often the greatest progress is made through a course that allows these deep seated psychological traumas to be identified and addressed in a safe place. It's a difficult thing to treat, but doable, I encourage you would do yourself that kindness.
As a practicing medical medical practitioner & long term BMW tragic, I enjoy my weekly dose of Bimmerfest for the technical issues as well as the entertaining personalities. As an Australian however, I'm surprised at how often replies resort to criticism & interpersonal comment as above. While I understand the OP's last response, I do need to point out his psychiatric diagnosis is a little hasty & there are more effective treatments than long term therapy such as CBT or even dropping an SSRI tablet in the fuel tank!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
As a practicing medical medical practitioner & long term BMW tragic, I enjoy my weekly dose of Bimmerfest for the technical issues as well as the entertaining personalities. As an Australian however, I'm surprised at how often replies resort to criticism & interpersonal comment as above. While I understand the OP's last response, I do need to point out his psychiatric diagnosis is a little hasty & there are more effective treatments than long term therapy such as CBT or even dropping an SSRI tablet in the fuel tank!
Oh yes, I wouldn't hope such commentary would be taken as a serious attempt at diagnosis, it draws too heavily on assumptions and with too little data. While I would argue it would fit the presentation of behavior, so would other options not explored and proper interviews and testing would be needed for a proper attempt at diagnosing the antisocial behavior. And I agree, your treatment options would be good to explore!

I do hope you were entertained, my friend. :thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did the pre-crash system activate with side windows and moon roof moving to the closed position? If so, your safety systems were working but it sounds like the system may have deactivated itself. It's true that light shining into the camera could have been cause for the system to require your intervention. I'll post the limitation of the system from the BMW technical guide below.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Did the pre-crash system activate with side windows and moon roof moving to the closed position? If so, your safety systems were working but it sounds like the system may have deactivated itself. It's true that light shining into the camera could have been cause for the system to require your intervention. I'll post the limitation of the system from the BMW technical guide below.
I understand the system has technical limitations, but this is something different. If the car had failed to activate the system, that would have been one thing, but the issue was that it said the system was unavailable and maintained error messages the rest of the drive. The windows and sunroof were already closed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So BMW says that "it may transpire that warnings and alerts are unwarranted." I wonder if the systems would have intervened if it sensed a crash was imminent. I experienced the collision warning system for the first time last week when I was driving a bit aggressively and pulled up close behind a car that had slowed down to turn off onto another street. The system beeped and the dash warning illuminated but the system did not initiate braking nor did it stop me from driving how I intended. I think most of these systems are designed to go to the very edge of the safety envelope to avoid being intrusive.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So BMW says that "it may transpire that warnings and alerts are unwarranted." I wonder if the systems would have intervened if it sensed a crash was imminent. I experienced the collision warning system for the first time last week when I was driving a bit aggressively and pulled up close behind a car that had slowed down to turn off onto another street. The system beeped and the dash warning illuminated but the system did not initiate braking nor did it stop me from driving how I intended. I think most of these systems are designed to go to the very edge of the safety envelope to avoid being intrusive.
Yep, they usually operate that way. You get a distance warning. I have mine set to go off early, so I get some false positives, usually in rush hour traffic, but this was a warning message stating the system was entirely unavailable and it was weird it came up at the same time I would have expected the system to trigger, i.e. a high closing rate between me and a car that was now in my lane.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts